• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BG5710

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BG5710

Sorry not about marketing but the equipment thread never gets traffic. Couple quick questions for the guys with 5710's, as I just got into one.

1.) how deep do you run your MRB's using dry fert?

2.) how severe of a corner can you take with MRB's in the ground? ( our fields irregular shaped, so lots of tight turns)

3.) 0-25-0-20 dry down with the seed too hot using a 3/4 knife on 9.8" spacing for canola? I'm going from 8" spacing and 3 inch opener and wasn't a problem. might go to a bit larger opener.

4.) is it a direct swap out from a 591 monitor to x20 if you have cab rate adjust? (in case we wanted to go VR down the road)

5.) do you seed your headlands last? I've seen 5710 fields that are so packed after turning on the headlands that germ is terrible, wondered if this would help?

any comments would be appreciated, and again sorry it's not about marketing but hey, everyone loves talking about iron!

thx

I have a 3310 with MRB's, hope I can help a bit. I run the discs so the fert is at least an inch deep, no more than 1.5".
    I leave them in on corners, they are meant to take the torque. If is really tight, I will sometimes turn off the down pressure so they float.
    I usually put about 40 lbs of a 30 30 10 10 blend down with canola in the seed row on a 1" opener.
    I do headlands first without any emergence problems.

Comment

Why do you fertilize the weeds and not
      allow the crop full access to the
      fertilizer?

Comment

There isnt one wire or sensor that is common between Top Con and the 591 systems. Its a complete refit all wiring harnesses etc

Comment

MRB users don't trust putting over 300 lbs of product within 1.5" of seed row.
          We also know making a plant search for nutrients will make a stronger plant.
          Also a cleaner field finish, no straw piles from running 2 openers close together.
          No right answer to this debate, farmer's choice.

Comment

the fert depends on the analaysis of the products used, a 0- 25- 0 -20. If iit is 12-51phos and ammonium sulfate,(21-0-024) then you will have 5 lbsN in the phos plus 17ish lbs with the ammonium sulphate.
            I have never went that high with my 5710 on 9.8 spacing. Max has been 14lbsN and my typical sulfur product the last few years has been a mix if ammonium sulfate and tiger 90 (12-0-0-50) Seed placed blend this year will be about a 12-27-0-18 blend.
            A friend of mine went to 30 lbs N with the seed 2 years ago thinking cause it was wet that it would be ok(also a 5710-9.8) and he had seed burn. Fields were thin all year, but still not a terrible crop. You could see as soon as the seed germinated it just stopped and dieed so after seeing that i don`t push my N rates any more than i have to. Tank splits don`t end up as nice but we pull an extra cart just for Urea in years that we don`t use NH3

Comment

I run MRB on a 3310 and I agree with "rodegar" as to depth, maybe slightly deeper as I live in a generally dry area. I find that even with carefully routed lines and low air velocity it is hard to keep high rates of urea in the slots that the banders make. As for much of a turn with them in the ground, our soil won't allow it. Also we will have a lousy seeding job most years if you don't seed the headlands last. Again it depends on your soil and it's moisture content. As to having all your fertilizer available (single shoot), I also seed with a SD440 (Flexicoil 5000) single shoot with 3.5" spread. Have put them in the field side by side alternating passes for two years to determine which in my conditions which is the right approach........... so far the weather has been so bizarre I can't get anything definative, they look different at different stages but I didn't follow through with yeild and protein checks because of the weather.
              Another comment on the amount of fertilizer in a narrow band with your Canola seed, I would sure like to know from someone in your area if that will hurt your seed or not?

Comment

thanks for the responses. In the future I will put some of my s down the mid row to eliminate the worry of burn. I believe I will go with a slighly bigger opener anyway as I would like a bit more SBU on canola for fert safety, and cereals for stubble(swathing)/weed competition.

will try headlands first/last to see which is better but agree depends on conditions.

good to know on the monitor conversion, thx

good luck this spring guys.

Comment

1. 1.5 inches below seed but do get some blowout on curves.

2. use gps to go straight ;>

3.i put down 100 lbs of 16-20 -0 -14 in seed row with 1 inch carbide openers

4.not a chance

5.last for canola. cereals doesn't matter as much. its the dirt that gets dragged into seed trench that results in canola getting seeded too deeply on headlands when turning and packers skid around the corner, also affects seeding depth when not seeding straight.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...