• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Liberty 5440

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daylate, is there much differance between varieties, on the height inwhich the lowest pods are attached? Looking at some down here, SESK, and notice that the very lowest pods are attached to the stem about 1-1.5" above the ground with the end of the pods resting on the ground. Pick up reels will do nothing to lift them, a drapper header will barely cut lower than 1.5", will a flex header get under? The secondary branches seem to curve outward before they go upright, so all tolled, there are alot of pods down that low! (this crop has many secondary branches, 4,5,6 even, should be a good yield)
    With the heat we had this year, I thought the plants would have grown fast enough to get those lower pods higher up the stem?

Any comments from bean growers appreciated.

Comment

Who is paying for research on Soy Beans? Short
      season beans will really change the landscape,
      eh SF3?

Comment

Short season beans will give me another option.
        Peas have issues, canola costs are getting out of
        hand, they have screwed most farmers into a
        corner with all the costs to grow canola. I blame
        the seed and chemical companies. Looked at my
        old books from back in 1977. Guess what canola
        made me money lots back then. I was in control.
        Now every one takes a piece of the pie, guess
        what 2012 they get it all and then some. Yea
        these shit varieties are hurting us.

Comment

The add below says the smile says everything.
          Hm I don't have a smile bayer, I'm pissed, most
          neighbors are pissed, we don't have a smile,
          phoned the rep he doesn't have one either. Some
          thing in your add is wrong.

Comment

boarderbloke:

There is a difference between varieties for podding height, but generally they all pod quite low.

And some years when the beans are shorter than normal due to adverse growing conditions, the pods are even lower to the ground, making it even harder to cut, so that needs to be factored in.

Most guys in MB use flex headers with attached wind reels to blow in the plant material, but starting to see more flex d****r headers.

Get a big flex or flex-d****r header for beans to maintain combine efficiency, as ground speed will limit your combine capacity. If you drive to fast, you will miss too many low pods.

Also, if you have stones, land rolling is a must.

This year, the plants were tall, and podded high, even a straight header would have done the job. To encourage taller plant growth, grow beans in 15 or 20 inch rows by plugging every second run on your air drill, or use a corn planter.

Comment

In 2010 - 5440 was $9.68/lb picked up in May no early booking discounts.

Comment

Price on VT 500 is $12.91/lb.
                For 45H31 $11.92/lb..Price now includes tech fee..

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...