• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nexen deal called dangerous precedent

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nexen deal called dangerous precedent

STEVEN CHASE

OTTAWA — The Globe and Mail

Published Wednesday, Sep. 26 2012, 7:00 AM EDT

Last updated Wednesday, Sep. 26 2012, 12:23 AM EDT

The man who famously flung open Canada’s doors to foreign investment 27 years ago is speaking out against a Chinese state-owned petroleum company’s takeover bid for a major Alberta oil producer.

Sinclair Stevens was industry minister in the mid-1980s when the Mulroney government undertook a major rewrite of the rules governing foreign buyouts of homegrown companies.
    More Related to this Story

Now 85 and living north of Toronto, Mr. Stevens warns allowing Beijing to take control of Calgary-based Nexen Inc. would grant the Chinese state a disturbing foothold in the oil sands. “They don’t live by the same rules that other companies have to live by.”

He is still bullish on outside investment because it brings Canada much-needed capital.

But Mr. Stevens says allowing a foreign state-owned entity to take control of Calgary-based Nexen Inc. would cross a dangerous line – one that he predicts Canada would find it hard to stop from crossing again. “It would be a breakthrough for them. How would you say ‘No’ to the next fellow?”

In 1985, he replaced the regulation-heavy Foreign Investment Review Agency – which reviewed all non-Canadian takeovers – with the more capital-friendly Investment Canada Act.

Mr. Stevens said the architects of the Investment Act were against allowing foreign state-owned firms to snap up Canadian companies.

“While we didn’t put it in the act, the departmental view was very firm: you can’t tolerate state-owned firms taking over anything in any substantial way in Canada,” Mr. Stevens said.

The act allows the industry minister to reject a foreign takeover if it does not provide a “net benefit” to Canada, as the Conservatives have done in recent years with bids for MacDonald Dettwiler and Associates Ltd.’s space technology division and Potash Corp. of Saskatchewan Inc.

The former minister said he doubts Beijing would similarly grant Canada the same sort of buying opportunity as China National Offshore Oil Corp. seeks in Nexen.

“If Canada changes policy and permits foreign state-owned corporations to buy majority interests in our resource industry we will have set a precedent Canadians will regret.”

Mr. Stevens said the lack of opposition to the proposed deal in Alberta surprises him. He considers it bizarre that the Alberta oil patch lobbied for Ottawa to relinquish its ownership of Petro-Canada, but is willing to accept the Chinese state instead.

“It is truly strange that the oil and gas industry, particularly in Alberta, lobbied to have Petro-Canada … de-nationalized in the 1970s while today, in 2012, many in the same industry see nothing wrong with the Chinese government owning one of our important oil and gas companies,” Mr. Sinclair said.

“In short, is Canadian government nationalization wrong but Chinese nationalization is fine?”

Mr. Stevens said he believes Prime Minister Stephen Harper has already made up his mind to permit CNOOC to buy Nexen and will override any concerns within the Conservative caucus. “Unless there’s a bit of a rebellion there, I think any anxiety over this would be quickly overwhelmed.”

Mr. Stevens’s political career ended in 1986, when he resigned from the Mulroney cabinet over allegations that that he mixed private business with his public duties. More than a year later, a judicial inquiry found him in conflict on 14 occasions. In 2004, however, the Federal Court of Canada set aside the inquiry’s finding.

CNOOC already owns 35% of Nexen's Alberta Long Lake oilsands.
    Nexen was basically a Canadian subsiduary of Occidental Petroleum. Before they changed their name they were Canada Occidental.
    The shareholders voted 99% to sell to CNOOC. The price offered was over $27/share compared to the $18/share on the stock market.
    Seems like a no-brainer to me. Sell.

Comment

Pretty IRONIC that state control from foreign countries is OK but not from our own.
      I wonder what control we gave up to Chinese with the Northern gateway pipeline?
      There is NO RECIPROCITY. We cannot go to china and buy cnooc or to Abu dabi and buy their oil companies.

Harper said when he is done you won't recognize Canada-he could be right

Comment

Sink STEVENS, that is a name that conjures
        up, the finest in Comedian polotics. Sink
        is/was a great fellow, corrupt, arrogant,
        sack of sh*t. This country should do the
        exact opposite of whatever he thinks is
        right, then we will have made the right
        decision! In other words sell everything
        to Chine, rename the nation, say made in
        Chine, then we kin all flee South to say
        Arizona......

Comment

Chinada...has a nice ring to it, and very apt. Yep, we'll soon be a branch of the greater Sino-American Corporation which will take control of our destiny.

Comment

Mustard man if the Chinese want to run an
            inefficient, resource wasting corperate structure
            that is not for me to care. Now if my federal
            government wants to waste my money on such
            folly, I will be upset.

If government steered industry was so good why
            does the USSR no longer exist?

Comment

A whole lot of our politicians and especially Steve cater to what ever the oil industry wants.

Steve has his head so far up the oil industries arse he can't even see what a hypocrite he is.

It is interesting to watch the current incarnation of the Cons squirm.

Early in his career Steve didn't want anything to do with China.

Now that the oil industry is desperate to sell oil to China because the US market is potentially oversupplied, he will gladly give away control to Chinese state owned company.

Where is Danny Williams when you need him?

Comment

Chuck, "give away"? Try "sell" at a 50% premium.
                Big difference.

And after the Chinese screw it all up, it will still be
                there to buy back. Or expropriate, if the NDP ever get
                into power. :rolling of eyes:

Comment

Colevile I dont know what you are smoking or snorting but I would sure appreaciate some seed.
                  Mabey thats why you need a job??

Comment

Musty...Coleville H2S has been smoking something called reality. I'm guessing you might have only heard of it before but you should try it yourself sometime. It's fun to watch two folks from west central SK battling it out.

Comment

Reminds me of the poor student working at the Tim Hortons one day. Everyone was speaking a language he did not understand. Can someone at least teach these ass holes to speak English first so we know what the hell is going on?

Comment

coleville I'm not saying we should have state controlled oil
                        I am saying we should not allow companies to be sold to Foreign COUNTRIES
                        Why Do you suppose they are offering a 50 % premium for the shares?
                        Because they are not another publicy traded company, they are a COUNTRY

Comment

mustard: Maybe we should have state owned oil? Seems to work for Norway, Saudi Arabia, Venuzuala?
                          All of these countries own the oil and the big oil companies are just the hired help working for a fee?
                          Even Danny Williams cut a deal where Newfoundland gets an equity position in the wells?
                          Consider this: If we had taken the initial money in the Heritage Trust Fund and invested it in our own resources, and hired the oil companies to do the work, how much better off would we be?
                          Norway has a smaller oil field than Alberta and has saved up over $500 billion? Where is our $500 Billion.....in some oil company's pocket?

Comment

ASRG: And perhaps in a number of politicians pockets as well. Brown paper envelopes slipped under doors comes to mind.

The oil industry in Alberta should NEVER have been dominated by outside interests...we have no one to blame but our stupid politicos no matter what their stripe.

Comment

ASRG: And perhaps in a number of politicians pockets as well. Brown paper envelopes slipped under doors comes to mind.

The oil industry in Alberta should NEVER have been dominated by outside interests...we have no one to blame but our stupid politicos no matter what their stripe.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...