• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fertilizing winter wheat when planting?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fertilizing winter wheat when planting?

Just wondering what fertilizer strategy others use when planting winter wheat, particularly with midrow banders. Planning to place all my fertilizer when planting this fall, screw spring floating, no time in spring, especially if wet again. I'm planning to seed place all my phosphate, and for nitrogen, planning to use half 46-0-0-0 and half ESN. I'm debating where to place the N. Right now, thinking to seed place all the ESN as it shouldn't hurt the germ and midrow the urea. Concerned that urea in the midrow would be too far away to use this fall and perhaps lost by next spring/summer, when placed that far away.(Drill 12" spacing) Urea, seed placed would be too hot.
    Another option would be to blend the N's and use a lower amount with the seed and a greater amount in the midrow.
    Any thoughts?

I'd you are going to do that put the esn in the MRBs and ditch the urea.

Use superU for the other half or if you can't get it use urea with Agrotain and nserve. That way it'll be there in spring even if it is wet.

Put down 50lbs of ams with your phos for Fall N and plant health.

Just my opinion.

Comment

Why not use all ESN or treat the urea and put it all through the MRB's?
      I put 100# ESN down MRB's in 2013 on barley and had as good or better yields/quality as the fields that had plain urea. I was worried about high protein but was no difference.
      Even in a dry year I think there would be more positives than negatives to using all ESN or treated urea.
      Now cost is the big negative to ESN.
      If it was only $5/tonne more than 46 I would use only ESN for nitrogen through MRB's. It is nice being able to have nitrogen sit in the bin/air cart etc for a year or more and just open the slide and have it run out with no lumps!!

Comment

What is the cost difference right now between 46-0-0 and ESN ?

Comment

We put down 100lbs actual N, 50/50 esn and urea all in the seed row. We find it works best for wet or dry and for cold or warm falls as well as cold or warm springs. ESN wont volatise in cold springs. We are stopping using Prepass or express find it can slow wheat growth.

Comment

BreadWinner, any thoughts about using 2,4-D or dicamba in the burnoff pass to get volunteer canola or cleavers?

Comment

I think I would go with just a pass with 1.5liter of roundup, then if the canola comes too think go with a bit of 24d. The canola wont compete to much after a frost or two.

Comment

Breadwinner,. please elaborate on express because we have been using it due to the carryover and controlling winter annuals.Have been growing winter wheat only for a short time but really liked express for this reason.

Comment

Don't worry about controlling volunteer canola. It will be a non issue and may even help insulate the crown

Re N, used to not be recommended in fall as might cause too much growth and/or take away winter hardiness. Recent research has disproven that though.

Why not keep it simple with straight urea. There's not that much time after the conversion to nitrite form. Personal experience with ESN and winter wheat was not as satisfying as with plain urea.

Comment

We have used both products for the past 4 years on winter wheat, we are thinking it is slowing fall growth. We also are thinking it restricts your reseed options in the spring if you have a bad winter. It's not supposed to have any effect on wheat but we have found otherwise.

Comment

Straight urea will become available too soon and not much will be left in the spring. We have done it and had to add more in May. Due to the high cost of fertilizer you can't afford to re fertilize in the spring.

Comment

Our best results came from just P with seed in fall. Then, 34-0-0 broadcast as early as spring permitted. Sadly, thanks to terrorists, ammonium nitrate isn't available anywhere close to me.

Broadcast urea is seldom effective (spring).

Comment

With the 100lbs of N we also put 30lbs of phos and 15 lbs potash. We also treat the seed with raxilWW.

Comment

6 gallons 6-24-6 with a little zinc and copper in the furrow in the fall. Wouldn't think of any extra fall N on our soils. Urea floated in the spring or 32% sprayed on with herbicide or a split app depending on spring conditions.

Comment

Oilking I believe ESN is only 8 cents a pound more than urea. Here out east that would make it around 58 cents. We were quoted 44 cents full service for NH3 and 6 more cents for urea. Even liquid is not much more than urea. Definitely believe using some type of inhibitor is better than nothing. Using super U or urease inhibitor are better than straight 46. Just way too much risk for the ease of adding the inhibitor.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...