• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canary seed

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canary seed

Has anyone else noticed Canaryseed yields down hard? This year's stand was crazy thick but yielded only 2/3rds of last year. To say I'm disappointed is a bit of an understatement.

Top-dressed Canary yielded very well for us. We also sprayed for aphids.

Comment

ours was 35-42 bpa, sprayed for aphids also, sprayed half of each 1/4 with fungicide as well but difference from that was minimal if any ? we have had years when it doesnt yield and cant figure out why .

Comment

What did you top dress with?

Comment

Big stand, lowish yield for me too. Never sprayed for aphids, because I scout, and there were none. I blame wet at the wrong time.

Comment

Aphids weren't the issue this year. I scouted like a champ, and they only showed up in the late tillers after the main stems were starting to turn colour.

I too am interested in top dressing. At what stage do you target?

Comment

big swath little canary, little swath same canary? Really disappointing, this year just gets crappier as it goes.

Comment

Which variety is everyone seeding, still keet??

Comment

Togo.

I think there are 2 new varieties slated to be released next year.

Comment

We broadcasted 30 lbs of actual N just before head came out of boot. It rained 3/10 a day after. Due to the way Canary grows, we felt that because of all the rain, it needed more N. A lot of guys aerial applied liquid N, too.

Our neighbour only grows a Lentil -Canary rotation since about 1980. As Lentil straw breaks down in Canary year, it feeds Canary. When it is wet, he has great Canary. Disease in Lentils seems minimal too, but he burns off the Canary stubble. At times on hot days when Lentils are small the stem seems to suffer a bit, but with the spring rains we have been having, they come back pretty healthy.

Comment

We had all Bastia canary seed this year. We had a big flat seeded and by the looks of the straw it should have been 40 bu/ acre. We sprayed for aphids lots of it was lodged over. I think the stems got kinked when it was lodged and the heads did not fill up completely. It only yielded around 25 bu/acre.
                      We had some canary seed seeded on some other land everything done the same but this canary seed was not sprayed for aphids. It did not lodge over and the heads where bigger and filled up more it yielded in the mid 30's.

I just think there was to much water. Our canary seed that was lodged was flat as a pancake 3 diiferent times and most of it stood back up again but some was lodged and I think that is what effected our yield.

Comment

I wonder if anyone has tried the growth regulators to cut down on the straw and encourage seed set?

Comment

Works fine sumdum. Seems to be where we gain the most yield. Also have to give it a shot of fungicjde to.

Comment

Seabass, what crops did you use growth regulators on? I heard that there is a very small window for optimal results and its tricky. But It seems that there should be an advantage to turning off the straw growth and turning on the seed set, especially in a crop like Canary that tends to be indeterminate in Regina heavy clay, especially when there is lots of moisture early in the growing season.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...