• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reflections on the Farming year that just finished!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reflections on the Farming year that just finished!

Just finished playing Multi million dollar Tetras yesterday. The shed is packed the equipment is put away and all except a 100 acres of oats was left out by one neighbour we didn't get to. Oh yea the Super farmer that seeded in late June still has thousands out.
    Over all its a quality year like I stated at the beginning of September report. Yields are average and peas sucked along with lentils and Durum is becoming a crop that has issues all over the west.
    Very little winter wheat is seeded.
    Harvest this year went almost as late as we did last time of Nov 18 but on the 10th at 6:30 it ended with snow.
    Fall work didn't get to half worked but its a nice feeling to have a good start for next spring.
    Moisture level in soil is very high.
    Soil test show to grow a average crop Drop the N and keep the others comparable to slightly lower with this year.
    Disease tests on farm looked after by company or checked by Agrologist.
    Lumiderm hard to believe but check and their two varieties were all most equal. Basically no difference. Yes it was a awesome 80 acres that drains into a valley and soil is similar throughout and fertility was not lacking.
    Disease in cereals. Oats spraying with aceppella worked wonders. Delayed crop.
    Hrs at late flag worked very well also. Heading no. Barley at boot worked really well.
    Canola with Aceppella no difference to so small of a increase it cost us.
    Next year country is in the planning but a strong offer from the Ontario Teachers Pension Fund and Im out of here.
    Crops that we will grow in 2015 are.
    Canola down 25% costs to much for to little. Unless your like the test plots in Alberta at 76 BPA.
    Soy same acreage as this year but seed earlier. It sits in the ground for a week.
    Oats up a bit but at 150 BPA it pays the bills.
    Barley up again next year by double amount.
    Hrs will be the same to slightly lower.
    Peas down by 20% to 50%.
    Flax is the wild card but looking like a reasonable crop to grow.
    Inputs having fun with all sellers. Why buy at todays price its easy to cut back and ride out 2015.
    Rent is dropping and some investors who borrowed are wondering how to extract more rent.
    Remember the world was out of food, the good times were here for years. Farming is the greatest job in the world. Well in one year were back in surplus and living on 1976 prices with 2015 costs.
    Yea it was all Bull shit in the 80s and its still that way today.
    Cheap food makes the world go round.

Disease

Any land worked last fall or burnt in spring of 2014 was way better. that's all I will say. Way better. Ground black warms up and dry's out and crop advances faster. Pop up effect without any company making money off of you. Less disease for some reason. Oh its dryer so not total mud!!!!!!!!!!!
    Mud is not your friends. You still need a rain or two but the 8in or better ones kill you.

Comment

Not saying one way or other either but back in the day of summer fallowing. Most everyone went out in spring and either rod weeded or field cult to warm up ground and get weeds growing before seeding. Also helped to dry out low areas.

Comment

So the exodus from the crap hole known as eastern SK to God's country Alberta is on? Figured that was going to happen.

Comment

Yes summer fallowing traps and saves water..No need for that..In this area it has gone full circle from zero till to minimum, some are max till, to dry out and keep soil black..So what about these 1/2 million dollar drills we don't need?

Comment

When the tap gets turned off in Western Canada that "crap hole" known as Eastern Saskatchewan will again become God's Country. Everyone gets a turn.... There is probably the odd small pocket that seldom loses.

Comment

Hey how many could grow a crop in 2015 with no rain! Eastern sask will be back real soon! What goes around comes around!
              If I sold it wouldn't be moving to alberta!

Comment

you couldn't afford to move to Alberta ou mean

Comment

Really!
                  Ah grasshopper Alberta is nice but keep your rose colored glasses on they're is way way better I'd you want to farm!

Comment

Reflections 2014, wonderful. First, everyone was safe. That's most important.

Machines held together well, although our NH 9882 needed a hydraulic pump which gave us some downtime during seeding.

Yields were very high on canola. Wheat yields also way up there. Wheat quality is going to be ok now that the hysteria over mildew has subsided. Seems the end user only cares about px, falling numbers, and fusarium.

Our disease controls worked well despite cutbacks due to budget. We left out Headline and Tilt during herbicide with no effect. Used cheaper Rovral on canola (worked great). Folicur on wheat flag, Prosaro on heads, and excellent results.

Annual ryegrass was just a winner. Yield, price, delivery, straw for feed, re growth for extended grazing, and a free cover crop. Fantastic.

Marketing plan for crops is on track so far. We work with FarmLink and feel we value for the money we spend.

Harsh winter, but cows did well and delivered an excellent calf crop. We sold all the calves a week ago and, wow! The cheque just about made us faint!

We had fun. Next to safety it's the most important thing to me.

We have a lot to be thankful for. Reflections on 2014. Oh, it's not over yet.

Comment

My year end is American thanks giving!

Comment

I like the timing of the American Thanksgiving. Good idea. I'm going to steal.

Comment

SF3,

LOL on the multi million dollar Tetris. Good thing you finished.

Comment

What have you oat growers found to work best for fungicide on oats....I just use 1/2 rate of bumper mixed in with my herbicide.
                            This year the oats are lighter than I'd like....borderline #2.

I read SF3 uses Acapello at flag leaf but not too pleased?

Comment

Or as I like to refer to it whine whine bitch bitch holiday holiday rinse and repeat.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...