• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Editorial: Wheat prices – a great big mess

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John's editorial is short of detail on what he means by a regulated framework.
    Does mention revenue cap and information reporting, wonder what else he has in mind.

Comment

Interesting that Tom says the US is the most reliable wheat shipper in the world. Anyone wondering why?

DNS has the same distance to travel to the PNW as our comparable cwrs.
      How do they do it?

There is alot of canadian wheat that moves through the US system. Do you think it's called cwrs when it is sold out of the PNW or by then is it called DNS for the Japanese market?

Maybe don't forget that railways in the states get called before the STB and are not allowed to tell governors senators and other interested parties for freight service to **** off. The railways are expected to come with a plan.

Tom can admire the US movement of grain but when he really looks at it maybe he should point out some of the facts that make it the most reliable shipper of wheat in the world to his buddy Ritz.

Farmers in the states wouldn't put up with this shit for very long.

They certainly never had a backlog of cars like canada did . Numbers wise or proportionally when you consider their volumes.

So Tom what do you think is wrong with the Canadian system and what is your plan for it to become a reliable shipper.?

Or do you prefer to send accolades on the US system while the canadian system remains in a cluster****?

Comment

A hint is that US graincos have to report their sales daily if large enough and at weeks end.

Railways have to have a plan.

Everything is correlated with other industries so the infrastructure is built for what they see coming.

Think trend line yields. They are used for more that marketing, they are used to help develop an infrastructure plan.

Now put it in Canadian terms. Larger crops, oil moving by rail, and in saskatchewan 2 new potash plants plus the increased production from the existing ones. Anyone see an infrastructure plan from this or any government people that get paid outrageous salaries to plan for this?

Pretty ****ing simple to lay the plan for what's coming. While they are at ribbon cuttings and rah rah sessions like kinderserley someone could have been thinking about the future needs of this country.

It's called vision.

And it's about staying ahead of our competitors - we're not.

The youngest country on this planet has destroyed more infrastructure that other countries would be envious of. All in ty he name of "efficiency". And all we as farmers ended up with lineups of super Bs instead of 3 tons. I wouldn't call that progress. Ruining the public highway system every 5 years as opposed to a little maintenance on ribbons of steel every 50 years.

Vision from political, business and other leaders in this country would go a long way to getting us back on track. Pun intended.

Comment

Bucket, I live along a CN branchline and have to cross it to get to our farm. CN hasn't even cut the grass on the shoulders of the railbed, what do you think will happen at the municipal road crossings when the first blizzard or any amount of drifting snow occurs? Unreal lack of maintenance and management. I put the call in, non-confrontational of course--honey versus vinegar.

There were efficiency gains in the rail and elevator consolidation but not accrued to the public(taxpayer highways) or Producers so much.... Couldn't be better for the RRs and Grain Cos.

Comment

No grass cutting. Interesting. I will bet it will be snow filled and unusable for the winter months.

Simple shit like that isn't done to save the cost of mowing. It's done for the railways to push the grain where they want it.

Just pisses me off that a call has to be made to something that should be a routine maintenance work order in CNs office.

And the CTA rubber stamps freight rate increases that have included that mowing as a cost to operating.

Comment

Let alone the willows that are growing further down the shoulder that are getting to a height that will hold snow across the rails as they fill up. Anyone who "physically" had to clean pushed bush piles or old rail workers who cleared by hand knows you don't let these things get re-established, unless you're a tree hugger of course.

I'm old enough to see how things have gone backwards. I sound like the an old grumpy man I am. LOL

Comment

CN

I have an abandoned line cutting a quarter. Phone them to buy it to level it out (Which should have been there cost another story).

There is only 3 acres in the corner but a pia to bother with.

Anywho they wouldn't sell the 200 yards of abandoned line.

Oh well there was no real gain for me other than cost to level and titles.

But their reasoning for not selling it still baffles me today.

Something about getting all the land along the abandoned bed and tendering it out. I quit listening he was so stupid.

Comment

Maybe it won't snow this winter. Reminds me of snow clearing budgets in cities.

Comment

I am 50 and grumpy all the time.

More mad at myself for not listening when I was 20 when they ripping shit out and saying something - if nothing else just to be on record. I am trying to make my kids speak up so they don't watch the same mistakes get made.

If the logic was continued that took out the branchlines I would spend my winters hauling grain to calgary in the name of efficiency. A local did that last year. No shit.

I used to think people in offices and good paying jobs were smarter.

Took me too long to realize they are envious arrogant and ignorant assholes that don't have an ounce of intelligence for the country as a whole.

Comment

bucket, Ties and steel gone?

Comment

bucket, reference the above posted chart of CP's stock price. They're ****ing geniuses!!!

Comment

Ties and steel are gone. Yup.

Maybe when the Chinese own canada they will see the value in a railbed built over 100 years ago.

Comment

Genius? How so?

With the logic used why not just have a rail line from calgary to vancouver.

Why bother with the rest of it?

Let the taxpayer pay for roads.

Comment

Bucket, Google Earth your abandoned rail line, follow it and see if there are any spots that have been reclaimed. Are you west of Last Mountain Lake? If you are, there is about 2 miles west of Kedleston that look like it's been reclaimed.

Comment

Have to agree our local cn line has trees growing along it that were not there in years past. Its cost cutting. And a problem in my opinion. Are them assholes still on twitter?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...