• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cayman Islands Are Now America’s Biggest Foreign Investor

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cayman Islands Are Now America’s Biggest Foreign Investor

If you were to guess which countries of the biggest investors in US equities you might assume that it would be one of our close economic partners like Canada or the UK, or one of the largest buyers of US government debt like China or Japan. But it turns out that the biggest holder of US equities as the Cayman Islands which holds $628 billion worth of US equities despite having a GDP of less than $4 billion.

Cayman Islands account for a quarter of US asset backed securities

Of course the reason for this discrepancy is that it’s not really people in the Cayman Islands who are investing in US equities, as you no doubt already know. The Caymans rely on financial services for virtually the entire economy, and the foreign holdings represent investments from around the world in hedge funds and mutual funds located on the island. Still, the Caymans hold only slightly more US equity than Canada which has $617 billion or the UK with $584 billion, compared to more than $5 trillion in US equities in foreign holdings.
    Long-term asset-backed securities tell a similar story. Here the Caymans are still the largest foreign order, but the scale is quite different. $109 billion worth of US asset-backed securities are held in the Cayman Islands compared to $42 billion held by Luxemburg (the second highest) and $403 billion in total foreign holdings. If you restrict it just to mortgage-backed securities, the Cayman Islands hold $86 billion out of the $211 billion worth of foreign-held US mortgage-backed securities worldwide.
    Even though the Caymans are being used to invest in US equity and corporate debt, China and Japan are still far and away the largest *****s of treasury securities with $1.28 trillion and $1.08 trillion respectively, compared to Brazil which holds $254 billion or Middle East Oil Exporters (Bahrain, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the UAE combined) which together hold $222 billion in Treasury securities out of the $5.6 trillion worth of U.S. Treasury securities in holdings worldwide. Apparently people don’t go through all the trouble of putting their money in the Cayman Islands just to pick up the risk-free rate of return.
    Ok the island is awesome if one place in the Caribbean I would move is here. Their main city is like living in Toronto down town. CIBC RBC TD BofM etc. on all the high rise buildings. Its a flat island so they stand out.
    So are they just bouncing board for the mega rich to hide cash and play in the USA.
    Its a question?

Expect it is mostly about tax avoidance.
    Not much different from some of the business structures that our accountants come up with to to stay on the right side of the line between avoidance and evasion.

Comment

Thanks for posting that,i knew about it but did not know the numbers where that large.

Originally,imo,it was a tax haven,but they started clamping down on that stuff and even the swiss are being forced to turn info over,from what i have read,but probably alot of unknown things happening.

Sure would like to see that place.

Comment

It's got a main beach that's is so nice! They drive on the other side of the road and also have Turtle city and the Rays are great! Really didn't cost that much in comparison to other islands! Yes Mexico and Dominican and jamaica are cheaper!

Comment

Going to Caymans next week to visit my daughter. She moved there in August to work for the Caymanian gov't as a speech pathologist for their school board (2 year stint)., She still retains some assets back in Canada so has to pay Canada/Sask taxes as if she resided here. She has to totally divest herself of any property in Canada to avoid our taxation system. It is no longer the tax haven that it used to be. She told me me to bring a lot of cash - the average beer in a bar is $8/9 a bottle a far cry from downtown Puerto Vallarta where you can buy a bottle of Pacifico for $1US all day.

Comment

How much more expensive is this island than Jamaica?

I keep hearing Jamaica is one of the better places to go to.

Comment

Lesem but you won't get shot sitting drinking your beer.
              Mexico is not like it use to be.
              Jamaica is nice but not a place I would drive around on my own. Hire a driver.
              The cayman I drove every where.
              But if the tour boats are in town don't go. Same old thing prices are lower after they leave.
              Stayed at the Weston on 7 mile beach and our condo timeshare their. They even have a store like Costco called Cost U Less.

Comment

We went last winter and stayed at the Turtle Nest Inn, which is owned by Canadians. It is out of town a ways (20 minutes by car) but your condo rental includes a car.

We drove the island lots to see the turtles and other beaches for snorkelling.

It is abit pricey, but mainly only snorkelled and went out for supper. Made our own breakfast and lunch.

Very relaxed, pretty clean, no body bothering you, easy to do business as everyone speaks English. Always felt safe. Westjet flys there via Toronto.

Although it was maybe alittle too quiet would return again. Will likely never return to Mexico.

Comment

Yes it's quiet on certain days. But peaceful.
                  Our condo is on the east side. It's a way from town and real quiet. Turn right go to rum point. Left go to town. Reef about a half mile from shore so no big waves on beach walk out of condo 126 steps and your in the water, nice sunrises.
                  Houses forsale all over the place lots empty but forsale.

Comment

What do tje houses cost there SF3?

Comment

Condo is starting at 140000 to 160000 or in Canadian dollars 221,000.
                      Could get close to St George maybe 245KYD to some nice beach fronts at mill. property along water up to 2.5 or higher.
                      But I remember when I was their this really nice house really nice. $14.5 KYD.
                      Wow lotto max here we go.
                      Yes property to purchase is a whole new level not Maricopa Arizona.

Comment

Hop on a small plane and head to Cayman Brac,and rent a house.

Comment

Mustard I have to agree with you on something. Little Cayman is awesome. Your all by your self. AH serenity now.

Comment

SF3,I spent 2.5 to 3 months in PV every winter and never had any fear for my safety. Every city in North America is dangerous if you happen to be on the wrong side of town at the wrong time of day. In the southern part of PV is home to a couple hundred of expats and after a bit you get to know most of them. They have a roughrider day in Feb and last year had 260 loyal fans show up-great party. If one tourist gets shot it is probably because of a bad drug deal and we all hear about it. Did you know Chicago has 5 murders a day and CBC never mentions it!

Comment

Mexico I liked at one time and will probably do xmas 2015 with family in Cabo.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...