• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bigger isn’t Better

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bigger isn’t Better

Size isn’t always the answer: One Earth
    Posted Nov. 27th, 2014

Fixing flaws at ground level | New leader says farm proves big doesn’t guarantee profits

Bigger isn’t always better when it comes to grain farming, says the head of a company that used to bill itself as the largest farm in Canada.

Mike Beretta, chief executive officer of One Earth Farms, says the business model is far more important than the scope of a company.

He said One Earth Farms was never profitable, even in its heyday when it was leasing 250,000 acres of mostly First Nations’ farmland in Saskatchewan and Alberta.

“Last year, when we decided to exit our cropping operations , (it) was one of the better crop years, price- and yield-wise, in a long time, and One Earth still managed to lose money,” he said.

“We couldn’t make money even in a good year.”

Beretta said some members of One Earth’s board of directors told him shortly after he took over as CEO in 2013 that the mega farm was failing because it wasn’t big enough.

“There was always this notion that eventually a certain number of acres will make you profitable,” he said.

“We actually will have better returns this year on 4,000 acres than we ever did in all our other cropping operations, so I don’t believe it’s just a scale thing.”

Beretta isn’t surprised to hear a similar rationalization offered for the failure of Broadacre Agriculture, a big Saskatchewan grain operation that was granted creditor protection by the Court of Queen’s Bench of Alberta Nov. 4.

Gary Pike, chief executive officer and one of the founding shareholders of Broadacre, said his company would have survived if only it could have accessed the capital to buy more land.

“We’ve been undercapitalized from day one,” he said.

The goal was to farm more than 200,000 acres, but by the time the firm was placed under court protection, it owned 9,000 acres and leased another 56,000 in Saskatchewan.

“We knew we had to be larger to carry some of the overhead we had, and we were unable to raise capital. That’s really the key issue,” said Pike.

He blames the province’s restrictive land ownership rules for preventing Broadacre from accessing much-needed capital from Canadian pension funds that were eager to invest in the company.

Pike said the land laws are holding back the province’s agriculture sector, noting that foreigners are allowed to own other natural re-sources.

“The only area that is really capital starved is primary agriculture,” he said.

Beretta doesn’t think more land was necessarily the solution, at least it wasn’t in the case of One Earth Farms.

The company has exited the grain business with the exception of 4,000 acres just outside of Edmonton and is instead focusing on selling natural and organic meat.

He believes One Earth’s problems stemmed from a flawed foundation.

“If you don’t have the right culture and people, things can go awry,” said Beretta.

“I’m very big on culture and people and relationships and partnerships, and the way One Earth had created it, it was strictly an employee-based scenario and there was little tied to performance.”

A sense of entitlement permeated the business, which doesn’t work well for a company that was operating on a scale of One Earth Farms.

“It’s like pouring gas on a fire.”

Beretta took the company in a new direction. One Earth got out of its leases and redeployed the capital tied up in buildings, equipment and crop inputs into the cattle industry.

It has 35,000 head of mostly Angus cattle. A lot of the cattle are placed with Canadian ranchers rather than leasing land and hiring employees.

One Earth used the capital from its failed grain venture to acquire a federally inspected slaughter plant, beef brands, a catering business and a baby food company.

“We’ve managed to turn the company around. This year we actually are in the black, and we’ll be finishing the year in the black, which is a far cry from previous years,” he said.

Beretta has no interest in making One Earth the biggest cattle operation in Canada.

“We’ve proven that doesn’t guarantee profits,” he said.

One Earth would have ended up in the same mess as Broadacre if it had continued to pursue the size-matters approach to farming, he added.

“The problem is in that whole logic. We managed to figure that out a little earlier than them.”

First step is farm what you have as good as you possibly can, if you find you are profitable then think about expansion. These guys had the "if we build i they will come" mentality.

Comment

Broadacre couldn't make $43 million work, how eff'n much capital did they think they needed to make a go of it?

How many of those creditors will ever lend money to any ag operation again? They poisoned the well.

Comment

Nov 27- 2014 ,Western Producer, Page 4, Lack of capital to blame: Broadacre

Quote:

"Pike said the company is using the court-ordered stay of proceedings to rent out land , get rid of equipment and exit the grain farming business.
        He said the Broadacre situation will have no impact on Pike Farms and he expects his consulting firm, Pike Management Group, to emerge intact."

And there lies the problem....

Who would hire this clown to clean their pig barn by hand? Ya they just had the biggest cluster**** and they're going to tell me how to do things, if anything he will be able to tell people what not to do if they want to succeed. Or how to walk through a shit storm and not get any on yourself. Scum.

Comment

Not enough Capital? Pike, what is the REAL problem? Oh my, what a goofy fellow!

Comment

That asshole is so full of himself. It's never a lie if the teller truly believes it. Not qualified to shovel pig shit indeed!
            And the other guy blaming employees. My God if I worked as a psychiatrist I wouldnt hear worse!
            But guess what, neither one likely ever shoveled in their life and never will. Understand I'm not dissing failure, just arrogant empty suit assholes and their bullshit.

Comment

A whole pile of management fees and no management?

Comment

Any bets on which political party Pike will throw his hat into the ring with for his next act? It truly amazes me how utterly clueless these corporate wannabes really are yet it appears that they can sell snow to an Eskimoe

Comment

Sometimes some lawlessness or mafia style tactics would be the best thing for this type and his ilk. Never to offend again, crooks.

Comment

The Pike booth should be a hit this year at the crop production show.

Comment

Garry Pike is a idiot! Plain and simple farm what you can handle then think About getting bigger! Have good people not shit heads working for you and finally more capital duck give me 43 mill I'll show you how to farm! Oh wait is invest in something else besides a farm!

Comment

don't you just love experts.
                        pike has been selling, one thing or another as long as i can remember.
                        and the farm papers lapped it up.

listening to guys like him is what did in
                        sask. wheat pool.

Comment

Does anyone know Pike's background in agriculture, business , economics or is he self-taught? The first time I heard him speak many years ago I certainly didn't agree with his message.

Comment

just think how the intelligent people must feel that have been paying this shyster management fees ! i am just anxious to see if FCC has their ass covered like they do when "real farmers" deal with them ?

Comment

Gary Should know better.

And apology would have been appropriate for reasonable people who just hurt many of their fellow farmers and friends.

I hope he learns the common sense that you are responsible for everything you do. Including paying back those hurt by your bad financial judgment.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...