• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tidbits, Lies and Whispers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fortune magazine has an interesting article about Rick McVey. He is the CEO of a company by the name of MarketAxess Holdings in NYC.. It's an electronic trading company which controls, get this, 85%!of all US electronic corporate fixed-income trading.

He designed a system whereby institutions can trade directly with one another. Five Trillion in corporate bonds trade hands every year. And bonds are his baby He has no debt. His company sales went from $136M in 2010 to an estimated $260M in 2014.

Virtual trading has won. Interesting. Pars.

Comment

Well i do remember, but that's not what you're talking about is it? Is it selection pressure you are talking about or herbicide tolerance genetically designed non acceptance based on marketing, trade tariffs, and generally non science based parameters?

Quite a large difference.

Sorry, i'm having trouble following you today.

Comment

Everthing will not be considered organic simply because everything will eventually be herbicide resistant.....because you say so. . A Customs-declaration into the EU based upon that assumption is not going to satisfy my organic buyers specs. Buyers decide whether to write the cheque, or not.

I did not bother responding to oneoff's comments about impact on non-spraying farmers, since it is fairly obvious that organic farmers grow,feed, sell and buy organic hay, and organic feedgrains. (Screenings) Creeping contamination would render them ineligible for organic certification.
        Parsley.

Comment

Your farm holds all the promise you can handle; it's all in the way you look at things:

https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/Dxy4n0UT82o?rel=0

Comment

Well then you and your buyers need to figure out how to coexist with normal agriculture that feeds the majority of the world overcoming your own industries self made problem.

It is not a food safety issue, its a rich persons pseudo-problem. A pointless religious discussion.

But anyway, farmhack is the start of a pretty cool site.

Comment

tweety, one little sub note before I move on to another topic, The article also states

"This review is required because one or more members of the Organization for Economic Co- operation and Development prohibit the use if these active ingredients for health or environmental reasons".

Yes, " health". pars

Comment

The Winter 2015 issue of Western Food Processor magazine has some interesting stats about Saskatchewan:

$2.3 B food processing industry.
                Has 300 processors
                6,100 employees
                Mostly grain and oilseed milling
                $1B beef annually (Only Alberta ahead of Sask. )
                More than half of processors are rural.
                Pars

Comment

January's issue of "Graze" profiles Gunthorp Farms in Indiana. It has an on-farm, US- inspected facility to kill and process both red meat and poultry. Ni GMO's, antibiotics, hormones or carcoinogins. Hickory log-fired smokehouse. Steam kettle. Processes chorizo sausage. Runs through 600 chickens, 249 ducks or 10 pigs per hour. No automation. Employes 9 people. They grow the livestock. Targets chefs. Whole Foods. pars

Comment

February, 2015's Country Guide features an interesting chart comparing provincial farm land ownership legislation. "Saskatchewan considers a person to be a resident for the purpose of owning land if they reside in Canada at least 184 days a year".

Ontario simply doesn't allow foreign ownership.

I've heard a lot of concerns about foreign ownership. And according the the article, Canada doesn't seem to keep track.
                    Pars

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...