• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Food Freedom Day Food Freedom Day: Hug A Farmer and Give Thanks

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food Freedom Day Food Freedom Day: Hug A Farmer and Give Thanks

Each year, the Canadian Federation of Agriculture (CFA) raises awareness of the agriculture and food industry by celebrating Food Freedom Day: the date when the average Canadian has earned enough income to pay for their annual grocery bill.

In 2015, it’s estimated that Canadians will spend just 10.6% of their disposable income on food. This year, that places Food Freedom Day on Friday, February 6.

“Farmers are very proud that we are productive enough to make an abundant supply of safe, nutritious food available for a small portion of the average Alberta family’s income. It wasn’t too long ago that Canadians were spending closer to 18% of their disposable income on food,” says Grace MacGregor, AFA Board member who farms near Hughenden, Alberta.

The 2015 theme for Food Freedom Day explores the importance of soil in the production of our food. The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) has also named 2015 the International Year of the Soils.

MacGregor notes that in addition to providing the foundation for wholesome food production, soil filters our water, it can lessen the impact of flood and drought, and healthy, productive soil is ultimately needed for a sustainable future for us all.

Alberta producers – and farmers across Canada – have been leaders in sustainable soil practices. The move towards conservation tillage practices that improve soil erosion and the quality of the soil has greatly improved cultivated land. Other technologies – like using GPS systems in cropping – are also helping to successfully manage soil conditions on the farm.

MacGregor notes that as Alberta farmers look ahead to the 2015 planting season, they are as focussed as ever on producing safe, high-quality food for Albertans and export customers around the world.

10.6% of Canadians disposable income....I'm so happy... to work for SFA,... nobody hugged me ...so sad now...

They might not have hugged you but did they at least supply the KY?

Comment

Want to add a bit more insult to the injury? What percent of that 10.6% filters down to the actual producer. Sorry to ruin your day.

Comment

And of the 10.6%, we waste over 30% of the food, so in reality we only need 7.5% to feed ourselves....

Comment

Takes too many decimal places to put down farmer's share... let's try beer...

1.5cents barley in a can/bottle at $2/can/bottle=0.7%.

Bread at 66 loaves per $6 bu at $4 a loaf =2.2%.
          I am I close?

Comment

That's right on! Good math.
            Farmers the guys who do all the f$&king work for pennies.
            What a job we have.
            Ah farming!

Comment

What about the tax revenues off a quarter of rye or malt barley? Years ago I remembered hearing a quarter of rye generated $1.6 million in sin tax.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...