• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you Do?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if we think back 10-15 years ago, it wasn't a question of should i stay or should i go. i remember some farmers telling me, they want to go due to health reasons or whatever, but they couldn't find any buyers.
    i'll take today's options over those anyday.

Comment

And those days will likely "cycle back" again....
      Being realistic not pessimistic.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

SF3, it's never too old but definitely never to young to think about exit strategies and/or succession. Building a business either to sell or create a legacy should be part of goal setting IMHO.

Comment

I have a different thought about this. I look at Europe and how over the years the people with wealth had land.

Because of this my plan was always to make enough to retire without selling the land. I probably own less because of this.

We are going through the first version of succession planning. Some of our kids want to farm and some don't.

Everyone will get some land. Some more land and less cash, the others vice versa.

The bottom line though is I think they understand the benefits of holdings land for generations, but when I am gone who knows what will happen.

Comment

Throw in wives, City girls vs farm. Lots to think about.

Comment

I would probably sell if I was you S3. Although its maybe taken out of typed context you seem to express a lot of frustration with the times.

Get as much as you can but don't be too greedy. Its like trying to sell $14 canola, watch it hit $13.85 and go down to $10

Comment

Richard I just don't sugar coat Ag. I couldn't care if the glass is half full or half empty just as long as their is something in it.
                      My question is if some one stopped by and wanted your operation would you sell. Again dollar of sale really doesn't matter. 6 or 66 quarter farm.

Comment

The answer is yes for me then

Comment

If you sell out and go get a job from one of your 'offers' I doubt you will ever have time for 4-5 vacations/ winter ....
                          Think about what you have , unless you pocket some serious change or your wife makes 3-400 g per year your Holliday time is gone in the real world . Just something to think about

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...