• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grain Shipping Order

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grain Shipping Order

Believe existing govt order expires this week.
    As time passes, starting to think that railways were correct in saying they would have done about the same without the order.
    Still seems to be no rhyme or reason about amount going to ports versus other shipping but shipping order could be a factor.
    As PM Harper said at Saskatoon meeting, whole railway shipping issue has been a Canada problem for over one hundred years.
    Still think we could move away from some of our nationalism and reliance on Ottawa in favour of common transportation policy with United States.

It's a complete shit show.

They only unload cars 5 days a week because that's all that's there.

20 boats waiting for loading. The equivalent of 1.4mmt of space out west. At the current pace of 650000 tonnes per week that's 3 weeks shipping.

Contracts months behind on the prairies.

And harper says it's only been a problem for 100 years. So let's not address the issue? Let's ignore them.

Comment

Maybe can't have it both ways.
      Want to be different from US and have a good shipping system at same time.

Comment

Wonder why (they) keep ordering boats so (we) can pay more demurage, when they know there is a problem getting product shipped?

Comment

The graincos keep doing it because they can keep the price low on the prairies.

They get the same from the end users no matter when the grain shows up.

The longer the bookings stay full the better it is for the graincos.

Farmers pick up the tab anyway.

Comment

"WE" don't pay any demurrage the grain companies do. "WE" used to pay 100% of the demurrage. Of course the grain companies want their grain loaded on time. "THEY" are paying for the demurrage. Question, do farmers still sell their wheat when they need the money, or do they plan ahead and use the future's market and wait for a good price and good basis? And then lock it in. I'm not sure how some of you pay demurrage, i don't, i don't give my grain away either.

Comment

Stone picker...
              There is truly a point where we all lose because premiums cannot be sought... When we are unreliable and untrustworthy premiums won't be paid by end users... And I do not blame them I would be the same if it were me.

Comment

Stonepicker

Was at the elevator the other day and they said they would be taking delivery of December wheat contracts.

I guess those farmers didn't plan well enough?

Geezus.

Comment

ya i can't relate to that bucket, maybe if you talk a little nicer to your MP he may answer your calls. The premiums are still there tom but they're getting harder to find and yes i believe our reputation as a reliable supplier of grain is at risk, now that the eastern bloc countries export grain, customers don't have to come to canada and beat down our doors. How far does australia have to go to get grain to ports? Not very i think. Advantage australia.

Comment

I am actually quite pleasant talking to those that answer MPs phones.

I just ask them to get the staffer or the mp to call.

Usually just once a week then it may go months.

But the issues are still the same from 2013.

And there is an example of some sort of transparent reporting and a regulator to the south.

None of the solutions require a rocket scientist just a backbone in elected people who are ultimately responsible for making changes happen.

Farmers can't. The government has to. It's their responsibility.

Comment

How many of the waiting boats are actually under contract? Lots of boats are waiting close to port in anticipation of a contract so no demurrage is being paid. There is lots of grain in the world looking for a buyer right now so the shipping pace is actually meeting current demand.

Comment

Ajl

Then why have goals to produce more?

52 by 2025 and 100 bpa of low protein faller wheat. For a world that says no thanks?

Comment

Hey, if some of those boats are there waiting for business then that is our advantage, but getting the grain there in a timely fashion is what we all want ( grain companies too ) and i think every farmer in western canada wants to see improvement there.

Comment

Apparently it hasn't been too much of a priority since about September 2013.

And don't forget the railways have changed their car order system to make them look better not the system as a whole.

Graincos are no better or they would be somewhat noisy.

Comment

We've had a lot worse bucket, the 60's 70's 80's 90's, everything from 3 bus. wht. quota's for the entire crop year to well over 50 ships waiting for grain, not all years were bad and certainly not all were good. A farmer has more options today, don't you agree?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...