• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report! on Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report! on Thursday!

Well what a week of fun. Wind and wind and then more wind. Ah farming in the heartland. Almost makes a farmer skip with excitement as for the first time in about 8 years we seem (fingers and eyes crossed) to have a normal spring. No crocus yet or green grass but a plus2 C soil with mud and still snow in the back roads and fence lines but she is going. The run off is still going but slowing.
    Not one soul is out working in the field except the water pumps. No Kelly harrow or lemkin or dt. But the snow geese are back in droves.
    Only tractors in the field are guys cleaning up the last of their grain bags as some rail movement is picking up. Some.
    Still lots of land that might not get seeded as costs have not come down and its a Mexican standoff with Foreign owners (your not Canadian if you live 8 to 9 months back home. You simply have a job their live their and have 4 months holiday in Canada each year).
    They want 55 to 60 I'm in the mood for 35 to 40 since they had a super renter who was the top producer in the area with big equipment and lots of men but forgot to pay for last year and a half. Good choice.
    Seeding intentions in our area are like a bunch of darts with each crop and ones closer to the centre are what you grow. Every one has lots cleaned just haven't decided what to grow. One note some Companies are now hinting their maybe is way more Canola seed available because farmers aren't taking or booking seed. Some are as much as 35% to 40% below last year for canola seed sales. Ah but its going to be yellow from one end to the other Bullshit.
    Flax and peas will be the crop of choice in our area. Sad but true.
    Only thing with the strong winds no burning will be taking place as a fire will get out of control fast. Some flax from last year still needs to be burned and combined, plus some oats which the geese seem to have found.
    So again to sum up the week its finally drying out, were finally getting grain movement (study long enough problem goes away) Water pumps are going hard and roads cut or water cut a path either way water is still flowing. Birds are back and maybe just maybe if it keeps up we will be in the fields in two weeks. Hope the pattern holds.
    Keep safe its only a fricking farm and enjoy.

You just qualify as Canadian - gone 4 months here 8 ....
    Cant haul a barrel of oil to farm let alone any grain out
    Grass/weeds are growing fast in yard - one month ahead of the last two years.
    Most smaller waterholes disappearing, the big water is well... more than 2013.
    Drills are greased and for the most part ready.
    Sandhill cranes back for about a week
    Hockey draft last night - hurting today.
    A lot of new iron in the area - again, and some big stuff, not lawn mowers.
    No changes for us.
    One more wet ugly snow to come before seeding.
    Should actually have to do burn off before seeding this year.
    Not going to use anything to "hot" ahead of peas this year.

Comment

Canola acres on my farm went from 2000 to ZIPO. Was lucky enough to sell the fert I bought in November, made a nice 22k profit in doing so. I took a stand and said NO to these ridiculous high seeds cost. Sure I did book the seed thinking fall futures would look more positive. The rest of the commodities are in the same price range as canola, but inputs to grow it are twice as much.
      Red lentils are now .30 with AOG, I did a little at .27 which is good. India has big issues and demand of pulses. Pulses should be the money maker this year.
      Was hoping to get going end of next wk, but way the weather looks may not happen. Last night was -5 so ground temps not warming very fast.

Comment

Bigzee... you're in SW Sask? Right?

Comment

booked normal seed last fall as was going to go back to 50/50 only taking 1/3 farm now. lots of similar stories in our area. Other crops are cheaper to grow with just as good return or better. Canola at under 19 me thinks.

Comment

Freewht im south central, 27 east of Assiniboia.

Comment

Sorry farmaholic that was for you. Lol

Comment

Good job bigzee, enough of us do this they have to notice. Good for sharing your stand.

Comment

Field snow 99.8% gone. We have not had very warm weather, lots of highs of plus 8 etc., so the "warm wind" others had, felt brisk. Nonetheless, it still has been helping to melt the tree snow. First week of May if no snow or rain. Next week looks COLD. Can't believe an hour west Klause was out cultivating! Fat chance here.

Everyone wants grain NOW! Yards are soft, pulling semis is not fun, but it has to go or pre-seeding finances will be rough.

Like SF3 says, at least there is some hope. It has been a long time since things were this "early". Back to "normal"?

Comment

SF3, because of you I will never think of the wind that rips the doors off as evil again. I think you can count on gale force westerlies cause it's election year.

Comment

You cant believe how happy guys are in the flood zone we have a glimmer of hope. A glimmer.

Comment

I switched all canola to flax. Now I need some luck. Priced 20 bushels off combine.

Comment

We started seeding our Foundation annual ryegrass today. Certified arg will go in tomorrow.

Hog manure getting applied this weekend.

Next weeks' forecast needs improvement for seeding to progress well.

Picked up another half section yesterday. It will be extra canola.

Comment

Suspect lots of canola seed available here if not wanting clubroot resistant.
                            Likely little cereal seed left if any as a lot of last years doesnt grow.
                            The usual suspects pumping water onto neighbors 24/7. Potholes and sloughs as full as ever for some reason. Between them its almost dry enough to seed. You might see some keeners start peas next weekend. Very few snowbanks left. Big lagoons still have some ice cover.
                            Ass deep in aligators working on equipment. Had a hand for that until Ft Mac called. Oh well what the patch giveth the patch taketh away.
                            Filling Feb wheat cars next week if bags didnt leak too water in.
                            Last time in field 25 April about 2 decades ago. See what weather brings. The pattern sure seems drier, hope she rains in June!

Comment

Calf crop is coming really well. The paddock we calve on is drier than it's been in years.

Early quad patrols (5:30 am) are like a ride in heaven. Warm mornings and very quiet as the highway traffic hasn't ramped up. Beautiful.

We have stockpiled pasture for the cows to move to in a few weeks. New growth is slow to start in this yet. Rain would help.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...