• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for Organic Canola

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for Organic Canola

Hi - We are potentially looking for a supplier of organic canola, and we would need approx 70 tonnes per month going forward.

Any suggestions or contacts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Roger Foster
    Pleasant Valley Oil Mills
    Clive, AB

Good luck!

Comment

I thought all canola was organic.

What is "inorganic" canola? Is it canola that does not have carbon or hydrogen atoms? I never heard of such a thing. Is it something that is mined instead of grown?

Comment

its the volunteer stuff that grows years after in fields after farmers go broke from paying extremely high price per pound for canola seed. and need to grow a 30 to 40 bushel per acre crop to break even.

Comment

its the volunteer stuff that grows years after in fields after farmers go broke from paying extremely high price per pound for canola seed. and need to grow a 30 to 40 bushel per acre crop to break even.

Comment

It's stuff like Synergy and Wizard

Comment

Riders, that does not happen. Input Capital Corp has got your back with a financing and agronomy consulting package.

Organic canola is quite rare. As Klause says, it has to be a non GMO variety. It has to be grown with some serious isolation from neighbours. There is chance of cross pollination from wind, water, wildlife walking through fields etc. it is grown on "bush" land where there is still trees on the headlands and fence lines.
              Most property lines are just shared by eyeball around here. Trees and fences are cleaned up and gone. Locals are dependant on canola profits to cash flow their farms, so there is a high frequency of canola planted every year. To each their own.

Comment

Sorry that was not very helpful.
                My best guess would be to look at the Peace river area .

Comment

What is it worth? 30 bucks a bushel?

Comment

Maybe when the kuai resident and the babes against stuff get their way can buy from there. No wonder 9/10ths of the hawaian farm land is highly productive wasted land.

Comment

Wow, somebody asks a legitimate question and these are the answers he gets? Looked to me like a possible opportunity for some farmers.

Comment

it has been proven here, time and again, organic farming is not for everybody.
                        The production from organic farms is not for everybody. So production is limited. Calculate the considerably lower yeild than the more efficient conventional farming methods. Price will dictate whether these guys get their organic canola or not. I am guessing I would grow net 15 bu/acre of canola. So my conventional neighbor can easily grow net 45 bu/ acre. I think $30.00 / bushel FOB farm is not unreasonable.
                        There is room to pay more, the processors have the meal and the oil to sell. At 70 MT/ month that is a demand with very little organic crusher competition.
                        They also have the option to not crush organic canola if they cannot secure enough supply. Another advantage for organic farmers is they are not dependant on canola for profit. Considering the risk/reward, I would rather attempt to grow an 80 bushel crop of oats at $6.00/bu fob farm or a 60 bu crop of barley at $8.00/bu.
                        With organic production, its all just a big chance.

Comment

Yeah, hobby, that is why I asked if the price would be in that 30 dollar range. But I honestly think 15 bushels net would be tough to get with organic canola.

Comment

Yeah, hobby, that is why I asked if the price would be in that 30 dollar range. But I honestly think 15 bushels net would be tough to get with organic canola.

Comment

Really, freewheat?

Put on a couple of tonnes of good manure onto a sweet clover stand... when the clover gets to just flowering on year 2, mash it into the ground, or mow it with a batwing type mower.

Leave the field as is that year...

Next year, go in early and plant Synergy or another of the new hybrid early polish varieties... I bet you'll see a 30bu crop

Clover will keep the weeds down, in most cases take care of any winter annuals and most perennials. Plus you just gave your crop 50 to 70lbs of organic N from the clover, and the manure would easily give you 30-50lbs of P.

All depends on your production system and the synergies you create in the field.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...