• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How high will Canola go if Acreage is below 18.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How high will Canola go if Acreage is below 18.

One thing is certain some areas are going to see such a drop in Canola acres its not even funny. $18.00 Lentil vs 9 Canola.
    Hm which costs more to grow and which gives best return.
    Flax had a fall price at 12 or higher Canola 9
    So again if farmers are dropping Canola do to one thing its costs are out to lunch.
    So when the Market and Specs realize the crop wont be as big and 2025 is a myth. What will happen a spike for short term till they start telling us its the biggest yields ever crop 2015. Or drop with Soy prices.
    Time will tell but by the seed purchases I would say down.
    What are others seeing.
    Is Canola a Dead Horse!

Canola will never be a dead horse. There's too much demand for it. Northstar Agri, Bunge, ADM are competing for product. Richardson, Viterra, LDM are somewhat in the market (all domestic crush). I don't know much about Cargill. But, local demand is strong.

Yes some have switched acres. I'm sensing more agronomic/management issues than market driven decisions. Rotation and disease are on more producers minds here I think.

Comment

I think you will be able to walk from one lentil field to anouther from south of Hwy 14 to the U.S. Border in western Sask by the end of June.
      Canola will be a rare sight in that area

Comment

Price should increase AFTER most is priced...and it's DRY in June...maybe... because watch out for another RECORD US crop with all the RAIN makes grain down there now.

Comment

I would say. Costs of seed here vs other crops!

Comment

Canola price will start to rise to get acres seeded.

Comment

There will be plenty of canola planted . Farmers need canola to cash flow their operations. As you get north of saskatoon lentils are too risky.

Comment

You can get canola seed for 30 bucks an acre and yields almost as well as that ridunkulous top ones.

our neighbours to the west over there in AB will be a sea of yellow as usual ensuring rapid resistance to clubroot genes.

Screw stewardship.

Comment

First we have to screw the banker.

Comment

I think alberta will go balls to the wall but really how many top years can they get in a row. 5 Now is their going to be 6.
                    Time will tell. But Manitoba and Sask will be down and Alberta will be flat.

Comment

At the risk of being troll-like.
                      Many are likely complacent in trying to find cropping alternatives.
                      However, if you cant grow chickpeas or lentils. If you want your peas off before too much rain. If feed barley or oats doesnt pay the bills. If you need a chem rotation.
                      We will continue to be yellow here until disease takes us out. After grower complacency, I see anti gmo stupidity hampering our resistance breeding as biggest problem.
                      Obviously lower cost producers can adhere to the 3 yr rotation a little better. 4 yr rotations dont exist. And once you have clubroot that only keeps the spore count / gram of soil to a moderate few million anyway.
                      Sask, the price will only go as high as replacement oils allow it to.

Comment

I agree the top end will not get much better if acreage is dropped. It might gain a bit or stabilize. Yes guys will push rotation. Yes if I could grow chickpeas it would be a crop back on. But risked that and failed in East Sask
                        Lentils are also not a option.
                        so were limited.

Comment

Personally I think canola is a sleeper this year. I have switched half my land from canola to flax. Ellevator agents all see it also. Perhaps unpriced flax growers may switch but new crop flax is still rising. We dnt grow lentils here. Beens have been a bit slaughtered also.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...