• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Again As Drought looms Why doesnt Canada Report Crop Conditions!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Again As Drought looms Why doesnt Canada Report Crop Conditions!

This morning I am reading about why wheat has had a better run lately and its due to El nino and Australia potential dry pattern. Yet here in Dear old Canada Its every thing is awesome from one end of Canada to the other, nothing to see move on and lets hope and pray it rains.
    It just frosts me that in this country the wet years were never really told. It was just one area that had lots of water not much production lost.
    Now I know its dry in lots of Alberta Sask and Northern Manitoba and west side.
    But in Canada its business as usual. Great conditions etc etc.
    WTF is all I have to say why cant our crop conditions ever be told for what they are. Not yes their is a few that need rain in the next few weeks but so far were doing great.
    Again WTF.
    Why cant we get our shit right on this side of the border when it comes to AG.
    Does any one else feel our crop reporting is awful.

First the industry and analysts have to develop a plan for pricing 100 percent of your crop.

Pricing even 15bpa might be 100 percent of farmers production thus year.

Then they have to get statscan to make the numbers work.

This late or smaller harvest is going to leave a lot of red faces at statscan.

Had this early seeding went off without a problem no one would be the wiser.

Comment

If memory is right, some on this forum were critical two years ago that crop production forecast was too high.
      Railways said it was too low and a factor in decision not to provide more capacity.
      Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Comment

Good morning Sask3. I do appreciate your regular posting and thread starters.

Information transfer has never been better. Remember to be careful what you ask for. Do you remember the "Great Grain Robbery" of the 70's ?
        Canada, USA, etc give information, good information, very quickly in the ag sector to help facilitate trade, so that the importing countries can secure supply, at good prices, delivery and quality needs covered.
        The question should be, " I might know things the markets isn't pricing correctly, how can I protect my bottom line? ". It would be interesting to know what % of farms in the USA use or have direct futures accounts? Canada? Australia? It's my perception American farmers use them extensively vs Canadian farmers.

We give very important and telling information to crop insurance ( for those enrolled). This should be the most accurate, plus gps type info. Soon stats can won't be needed to monitor inventories, etc
        Carefull what we wish for?

Comment

Good comment, Rarearth.
          Think much higher percentage of larger sized farm have access to direct futures accounts so might be fifty per cent of production but only ten per cent of farms.

Comment

When i called viterra for a canola price yesterday they said first delivery in september.

Do the words "demand issue" fit?

BTW, drought isn't looming, its here - especially if you're a cowboy. You've obviously been fortunately getting rain if you think its looming.

Comment

Tweety is that rain cloud on radar hitting your farm?

Comment

The one by regina, nope. We are east of lloyd and forecast was looking good (>50mm) but as usual it's 40% of jack shit as it gets close.

Crops, well they just die. But those poor cowboys, you gotta feed those animals and i feel really bad for them. Pastures are literally dead.

Drove to edmonton and areas are bleak all the way. Most canola fields look like november where they were just banded.

Comment

Cattle feed will be in high demand! Piss poor hay fields all over the place and even good fields fertilized with adequate moisture won't yield much! Buddy has cows! Everything will be cut our way even ditches!

Comment

Seeding oats and tillage radish for last couple days on the swamp.

I will probably **** that up too.

Comment

On Sunday I drove from NB to Birch hills , back through Spiritwood - 540 km - spotted a handful of canola fields that you could see rows - just east of NB on hwy 40 , the rest of the way - not one . 75% were reseeded and the rest were as said above post - nothin visable at all

Comment

Yeah it is slow. And it depends on what it was seeded with too. My twelve inch spacing canola in heavy straw seeded May 20th, is not visible, even though it is 2 leaf stage. My recreation tillage neighbor you can start to see it, because there is not a lick of straw, and narrower spacing so there is no real high furrow hump.

But stuff is so slow, considering excellent sub surface moisture and generally quite warm conditions. I have been pondering that myself.

Comment

finding canola seeds that were seeded into moisture that never germinated makes a guy wonder, how much seed went out this year that has been returned to the dealer for 2,3 or 4 years because of the excess moisture conditions across sask. Yeah I know they test it and whatever, blah blah blah. Klause said it himself on here the coating kills the germ after time or severly reduces it. But I guess the seed companies know better than anyone.

Comment

I was wondering if any farmer ever did a germ test at an independent lab on cert seed.

Comment

So they give us free seed on a disaster so to shut us up????????? Cheaper than a lawyer.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...