• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Well one thing is for sure we have now entered the flood zone. Frick me I hate moisture and yesterday as I left the yard I checked the Environment Canada Web site and their it was a big blob of Red Yellow and green and blue heading our way, it just popped up out of nothing.
    Rain makes Mud sorry.
    HRS is about a week away from desiccating the early fields. Late wheat's heads are Filling and thank god we sprayed with a disease Control because guess what its Back. Two weeks away.
    Still nice and average is 15 spikelet's with 6 to 8 rows filling and big plump seeds. Could be best wheat in years but now lodging is happening with all the heavy rain and wind.
    Peas were desiccated in Last days of July first time in 16 years the early Burnt fields look the best but the later did fill a little better will be hoping to roll on Tuesday as yesterday and the day before rain makes mud. Rain Early this morning.
    Oats is coming along nice and filling and actually lodging in some places. Month away.
    Barley the early is going to be swath early next week but the late is still a few days away from that. Filling nice and heads starting to bend.
    Durum has smaller heads but those who sprayed seem to have done well heads are filling thick.
    Canola wow to WTF. AS the crop fills one can see that some are out of this world and lodged from end to end with a thick thick podded crop. Cant walk through and thick. Then the hail did get some of ours with 21% damage at most but recovered well. Yield will be lower than the best.
    Some rain did drop flowers and blanks are present but early heat before the rain did trim a total Bin Burner from end to end. Will be very good but not the best crop ever.
    10 days to two weeks from swathing and the thought of going hard and fast swathing wont happen because of the rain and wind and heavy crop. Lodged thick twisted sister.
    Some varieties are showing promise and maybe it might be the year that Liberty is taken out as area champ. Looking like that every day as we get close to finishing this one up.
    Soy is flowering and has about 5 pods so far with three to four seeds on early. No big acreage as last few years of floods hurt the crop.
    Flax isn't doing well in our area, their is second growth of weeds and lots coming. The crop did not have a good start and that is showing up now. Time will tell but yield wont be as good as before.
    Corn is doing well and with heat could actually be best in a long time.
    Hay and pastures are back to wow. If a second cut it will be good. Most first was a surprise on how good it was.
    So heading south to crop check, visit family, Take in the Fair, hit some tourist traps and have a few pops. One last break before the real busy two to three months starts. Harvest in East sask is no cake walk with dew, mud, rain, snow or what ever mother nature throws at us.
    Be safe and remember its just a crop that it looks like every day they will take for a few dollars and leave you Mr. Farmer with scraps. Peas already they have dropped the price because supply is being delivered. Doesn't matter if their is a Wreck of a crop the Buyer doesn't care one bit.
    Lock the bins if you can these guys need a lesson in Supply.
    Most of all enjoy time with Family and Friends as those close to you are your most precious gift.

Ha ha a lesson in supply! Farmers owe so much money on inputs and machinery that the biggest concern is timely cash flow. Inputs were up about 5%, grain prices have decreased 15% from a year ago. Once again, farmers are in the cost/price squeeze.

Comment

3 in rain overnight one f...ng mess, peas will rot, wheat harvest will be mud fight only beans are lovn it!

Comment

that's right hobby, and even better, oil will be 40 bucks a barrel soon, gas prices should go up here 10 cents a liter anytime now. Those oil boys know how to do business!

Comment

April 1-July 12= 1.6 inches, never more than .40 at once. July 13- to Aug. 6= 10.50 inches largest 4.10.
          Lentils were desicated 11 days ago and only have managed to combine 100 acres of it.
          Creeks are running spray water holes replenished. Tame grass and hay coming back lush and green.
          Weakfield durum is lodged from heavy wind and rain but will be very low yield 20-30 in area.
          Peas yield reports same 18-30.
          Small lentils 20
          Flax looks good compared to durum but no guess on yield
          Canola. I bought l140 to straight cut but the second round of flowering started and month after the first, so if I wait to thanksgiving? If I swath green seed?

Comment

Rain from may first to July 25 - 5 tenths

Rain since July 26 - pushing 6 inches.

Go figure. Nothing will dry out now.

Can this be adding quality or quantity?

Comment

I am hopeing that our 'no rain' bubble stays in place till Sat ...

Comment

The extremes are what bug me. If i t descided to turn wet it could get real wet for a long time

Comment

Since April 1 to mid July rain has varied from 2.5" to 5" across the farm spanning 30 miles. 1" overnight puts us a wee bit North of 13" since july 18th. Some flooding in low lying areas but in general crops on average look very good. Quality will become an issue on some Seeding date seems to be be the biggest variable as less then a week apart has made a noticeable difference withstanding the intense heat. Peas coming off have been below expectations but lentils,canola and durum are showing above average potential. Swathing canola next week and same for desication of lentils. Earliest durum 2 - 3 weeks away yet for straight cutting. South central sask.

Comment

Still can't get more than a light shower around here, and rain could still do some good on later crops.

Comment

I am not usually one to get up in arms or panic that yields will be terrible etc. but I have real concerns about canola. I just got back from 10 day vacation and was driving around checking fields this morning and cannot believe the abortions I am seeing on main stems. The crop looks beautiful from road and you cannot hardly walk through it. But start pulling plants out and it looks really bad. On some main stems up to 80% is gone. I assume this is from the heat, I knew we would have some but I never thought anything like this. I grow mostly 1012 Nexerra so maybe that is part of problem. Frustrating though, I give it all the groceries that is supposed to help with heat at flowering and it doesn't look like it helped at all. My wife made the insightful comment that I would have been unbearable if I had known before we left on our trip, so at least I had 10 days of fantasizing of high yields.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...