• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The perils of renting!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Absolutely agree that there can be as many lousy tenants. Must also add that by far the majority of my landlords have been salt of the earth morally even tho occasionally silly.

Comment

I think your landlord may have alzheimers? Sounds like something that happened in my In - laws family thanks to a senile old coot...

Comment

Freewheat. No prior indication, which is what bothered me the most. I need to get the hell out of this pete and back home to have a proper sit down about this. The only thing that makes sense to me with past behavior, and the brief long distance phone call last night is that he honestly thought he was doing me a favor. I would HOPE that a bale cheque minus rent was coming my way, but without any prior discussion about it, your gut tells you to protect your crop by all means necessary.

Comment

Klause. It has been burning at me that maybe i should be asking some other ppl close to him if theyve noticed anything of late. He called me my brother 3 or 4 times when Dad talked to him yesterday, and did the same on the phone a few times last night before he corrected himself. Option 1 was a misplaced attempt to help, Option 2 could be very much as you say. If 2 is the case it could get ugly going forward.

Comment

Good thinking, talk to his family as well. You seem like a pretty level headed guy, I don't know if I would be taking this as well you are. Good luck

Comment

Maybe he had a stroke?

Comment

Dementia or something along that line seems like
                a real possibility. Not normal behaviour.

Comment

I agree. With this extra information, it sounds like some kind of issue in mental health. Sad, upsetting and a bad deal for all involved.

Comment

Sorry Helms...terrible experience. Hopefully he will truly make it right.

My only similar experience was when a Neighbor decided he was going to sell topsoil to the landscape firm. Sold 2200 cu yards of soil from a blow dirt ridge 90% on my land. Sent me a $250 check. Lol.

Comment

I d talk straight to the guy himself in person first.
                      And if doesn't go good or make sense maybe some of his family. And if still not good get an appraisal of some sort on yield. Never know what the heck could be up.

It sure aounds like a health issue though.

Comment

Helmsdale, the silver lining in this story is that you had a neighbour that was looking out for you and cared enough to call.

Comment

Is there any chance of buying this property before seeding in 2016?

Comment

Sounds like a plan-sell someone else's crop. Now that's pure profit!

Comment

I rented this farm 22 yrs ago and i started my last harvest today.
                              When i came i offered twice the rent of the last guy, who had given up the previous year, ending 70yrs of his family here.
                              The landlord was all smiles at the beginning, promising a lease as long as i wanted.
                              on that basis we built a new grain store, 25,000 sq ft.
                              he paid a quarter of the cost.
                              I bid for the farmhouse too, and got it.
                              They took my rent for the farmhouse of £5k/yr , but never let me in it.
                              Now that we are being evicted, my lawyer tells me that their lawyers have outwitted us, and they are not obliged to pay us anything for the shed or any back rent.

Comment

To make matters worse, he has invited all the neighbours to bid to farm by contract, some of whom i thought were friends. they gave us 3days notice of viewing.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...