• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HRSW Harvest

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HRSW Harvest

Started combining yesterday. Running 50 on yield monitor Started today before showers and hit 110 in a low area, very surprised.

I didn't know they went up to 110 miles an hour?

Comment

Metric kms/hr.

Comment

Yields are the shits. Only good thing is very little straw to chew up. Saves a lot of fuel.

Comment

Yup. Red spring on our farm is poor. About half way through, average so far is a little over 25 bu/ac. Next fields should increase the average a little bit. No need for additional straw management. In fact I was thinking a fire would have a hard time making it across the field. What a difference a year can make. Quality is good though no fuzz but see something that would look like blackpoint. Also a finer(less plump) sample than what was seeded, I think the last couple of meaning rains did help plump it up, probably would have been even finer. Silver lining, more marketable than last years. Don't know the protien yet.

Comment

On the plus side, gonna be way less CNCP bitchin posts this winter.

Comment

Tweety

A terminal 35 miles from the farm is the end of a rail branchline north out of moose jaw. Partly owned by viterra.

To get there the railway has to go past another viterra facility that is a 10000 tonne concrete with a 38 car spot.

Next week the terminal is getting 112 cars but the concrete misses their 38 car train.

Both are taking red lentils and peas and both places are sending the product to the same west coast terminal.

So now a delivery point that is 16 miles away is essentially out of the market for a week during harvest. It's now been put 2 weeks behind on its schedule.

It also pisses off local guys that have a few extra bushels not worth starting another bin.

The railway issues are not going away and that is another reason why it's time for a federal government change.

Another mainline terminal was to get a train on Thursday. It might show up on Sunday. It's still puts everyone behind. And with the wet weather the mainline guys could have been caught up.

Comment

bucket is that a RR issue or a grain company issue? The grain Co gets incentives for loading the 112 cars at one spot.
                Does the RR's decide on what spots get the cars or does the grain Co?
                I would think the RR's say how many each grain Co can have and then the grain tells the RR where to spot them and also head office tells the elevator what to load them with.

Comment

Tweety, transportation/freight issues may be eased for a year but what happens when we get back to a higher volume year and need the capacity that isn't there again?

Does this mean since I only grew nearly half the crop we have in the last few years I only pay half the "per tonne" freight bill, not half the bill because I only have half the volume. Because of less "demand" for those services? If I needed to pay more for them to provide service when needed do I pay less when there is no pressure for them to perform?

Comment

Same line out of moose jaw.

Absolutely no reason why 150 cars can't go north out of moose jaw drop 38 and then 112 at the end of the line.

If there incentive for 112 there should be a better one for 150.

But I don't know why viterra doesn't buy the rail line and operate it with the understanding that 150 cars are to parked at tuxford every Monday and the loaded cars will be back on Friday.?

Comment

Farmaholic

Car rates have dropped considerably south of the border.

Comment

Bucket,

Viterra at Killam loads the whole train... at times this summer many over 112 are spotted by CPrail here... I seriously doubt there is an actual problem with loading more railcars for the grain facility.

Our rail infrastructure has been upgraded for all the crude oil trains... and many 150car potash trains are run on this line by CPrail. Would be interesting to hear why the whole train wasn't spotted!

Comment

I believe the car spots have been about 135 here... if memory serves me correctly.

Comment

Tom do you think that your rail line has been upgraded because the oil and potash have been signaling to the rail roads, that they want to increase or at least maintain amount of traffic on the RR system?

Comment

Tom

The terminal at the end of the branchline loads 112. The concrete mid point only has a 38 car spot.

Both are on the same line serviced by moose jaw. Both are viterra.

The points are about 25 miles apart.

There is no good reason in harvest to be shorting a loading to the 38 car spot in harvest when the point at the end is getting serviced. Both are buying the same product for the same destination.

Still points to good enough reason not to vote conservative. They are not fixing the problems or looking at better efficiency as the regulator.

But the province isn't that bright either.

They are fixing highway 42 and they should be going around the town that has the concrete so it could expand to a 112 car spot as well. The highway limits the points expansion.

Yes I have told the highway ministry staffers my thoughts.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...