• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pre harvest and barley???

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre harvest and barley???

Sprayed my barley yesterday, have never done so, but this year it is more uneven in maturity than normal.

How quick does the "harvest aid" of glyph. work in nice warm weather? A week? Five days?

Half the field was head hang, a quarter heads up but pretty ripe, and the other quarter would be the trouble areas of well turned but greenish.

Last year I lost a lot of heads due to stems snapping. Want to avoid that this year, especially with a great yield potential.

Thanks from a guy with limited pre harvest experience.

My guess
    10 days to 2 weeks maybe more
    I don't feel roundup speeds thing up a lot
    I see it as weed control and a way to avoid swathing

Comment

Serious question.. not looking to start a argument/alternate discussion, but why didn't you swath it?

Comment

Fair question. I straight cut mainly because we are in such a wet area, that usually we have such a small window to pick it up. Standing dries so much faster, and sprouts less if there is a prolonged rain period. Also, next year it will be a pulse, so I want it clean. Otherwise, Monday would have been a great day to have cut it. Woulda been ready to go now.

Finally, I only have a pull type swather, and it would make for very poor efficiency trying to catch the combine in 90 plus bushel barley.

I do swath canola with it...

Comment

Neighbor cut some BLY on Monday..with the high humidity its not ready yet..
          We cut some wht on Monday, straw under neath swath is wet...

Comment

Any amount of green heads it'll take 10 days minimum to do much. Quite likely two full weeks of warm dry weather get rid of any green.
            That's been or experience with wheat.

Comment

Cutting barley today. Was dryer 2 days ago when humidity got into the 30's. Humidity stuck at 50 today. Will be an early quittin' time.

Comment

Thanks for the answers. I did not really know what to expect. Yes it is humid as heck. Baled some hay yesterday and finished at sunset. Good thing, cuz it was VERY wet at that point.

I was figuring a week. With the heat, it is ripening up well on it's own for sure. I would hope with the moist and the heat maybe the glyph will work a bit quicker?

Anyway, it will be what it will be! I will leave it at that.

Comment

WARNING. Glyphosate "might cause cancer" in pigs. Pigs are similar to humans, some more than others. If it is a risk to humans its a risk to pigs, better ask ths hog barn's feed mill. Or the pigs themselves, do you know any "pig whisperers"?

Sorry I couldn't add any value to the conversation.

Comment

Haha Farma! Plus, it gets into the meat, and we humans pick up bacon cancer as well. It all round sucks.

Comment

You might be better off with liberty the lower stem will stay green so it will be a tough chew but the grain will dry in half the time of roundup. I feel your pain. Ive got a bunch of green shit in the bin already that I'm trying to dry down. Had to quit on the rest yesterday. Too short to swath.

Comment

Satellite is showing a bunch of systems all around us. Could mean trouble as in showers.

Comment

Rain on radar east of Fort Quapelle going to Mb. Very humid, slow drying down.

Comment

It totally depends on weather. Good growing conditions your barley should go in 5 days. It might still look greenish in the straw but be dry. If growing conditions are not great ie. cloudy, cool, etc, dry down will be slower.

Hope the barley is feed as gly is totally unacceptable for malt.

Comment

May have to forgo malt here this year. So many greens etc. 3 different stages and a difficult weather pattern with a risky drew forecast. 50-60 bus short crop anyway.
                              Some malster collection points may turn a blind eye to glyphosate if they are malting it themselves but it still must germ. All wink wink. However, I'm afraid there will be enough good malt on prairies the iffy stuff wont go. Shrinking the feed spread.?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...