• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The "F" word again.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The "F" word again.

Looks like there are some pretty low lows forecast this coming week even in the "deep south" (S.E. of Regina). Any other areas at higher risk and do you have anything at risk of damage?

It's that time of year. Can't really complain if we go frost free till the 10th of September in our area.
    Hopefully we get some dry air soon. Even if it is cold.

Comment

At lake this weekend and wow welcome to F A L L
      Yikes it's cool.

Comment

it would be nice if frost held off for another 2 weeks, but lows of 4 degrees for 3 nights are scarey.

Comment

Frost would hurt me bad. We are always later maturing here with lack of heat and too much moisture.

Comment

We are forecast to get down to 0 tonight. Had -2 or more last week, and a few other minor frosts. Need a lot more time without a frost this year. In spite of the hot dry summer, crops are very slow to ripen, Canola still grass green. Partly from such slow uneven emergence due to no rain.

Comment

Farmzone has a good 14 day forecast for east central AB! 3 low tomorrow then good till Sept 21!

Some very nice Canola crops to harvest... if we are good till Sept 20!

Comment

I'll drink to that Tom.

Comment

Alberta farmer. If your canola is grass green, and you had minus two, is there any seeds left? Because typically that would be the end of it.

Comment

Freewheat
                    Corn is 8' and still growing like crazy in our area... No sign of frost damage.
                    Sometimes Canola is really tough if the temperature cools off and it acclimated to fall temperature. The straight cut guys surprised me at how good quality is with multiple frost events.

Comment

I do not think canola acclimatizes for fall like it does in spring. At least the seed don't. If they are not firm, a 0 degree frost will do them in completely. If they are firm, they will be there still, but may fix some green. Last year I got smoked in Early September with my late canola field with just a plus 1 frost event. I lost piles of yield, like 50% or more. Seeds that were watery disappeared completely.

And this was after a week with risk of frost every night for the prior 4 nights. Highs were in the low single digits to 14. Finally it froze the last night. A 50 bushel crop at least, went to low 20's overnight.

And then there was 2004 when most guys around here with the stand of their life, got zero to 4 bushels and acre with "acclimatized" canola.

Spring yes, fall, not IMHO.

Just my opinion. But grass green canola is not going to fare well in even a very light frost in my experience.

Comment

Varieties really showing a difference is your slow canola roundup free wheat?

Comment

freewheat, until today, I thought they had escaped. But no. It was very wet and a heavy canopy, flowers around the yard weren't damaged. First day couldn't find much evidence of damage, but as of today all low spots are obviously frozen, top of the canopy appears to be completely done, bottom still has lots of viable pods and seeds. Just trying to establish how much is at what point. Anything that was starting to turn appears to be OK, but likely lost some grade. There was 100 acres that refused to germinate without any moisture this spring, finally grew in July, and still has some flowers today, green leaves
                          . It looks to be almost a total write off. Just weighing my options for silaging this one. I think the rest is still worth combining.

Went through this last year with regrowth after july hail. Thought it was a complete write off after the Sept 9 frost/snow event( still flowering). averaged 20 Bu of #3 somehow, so some seeds survived under the canopy.

Comment

Hmm. Hopeful for you Alberta farmer. Good luck and best wishes.

Riders, my late maturing canola is actualy High Acid ****seed. Yes, RR. Grew their hybrid for the first time. Looks good, but dang it is late. And every field, not just one. EVERY field. Same day seeding I can see a day or even 6. But not 12 or 14 days. Oh well, gunna swath it soon, and it should be frost safe by now. I just hope it cures faster than it blooms!

Comment

Reseeded 43E03 on June 3 - it's in the swath and looks good - matured very even and ripened fast

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...