• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harvest Progress/Early Crop Quality

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harvest Progress/Early Crop Quality

Just note of weekend of cloudiness/some rain here in Edmonton.

How is harvest progressing? Early thoughts on yields/quality? Let us know your general area?

I suspect an average crop most places but the real issue to follow from here on in will be quality. More to life than cereals so am very interested in pulse crops.

I know these questions asked elsewhere but trying to keep a active thread close to the top of the discussion area.

Now how could I connect this thread to the CWB? Incog,Fran, Parsley?

Comment

thanks Agstar had to go against Charile's wishes didn't ya??

South of Red Deer, some early seeded canola being swathed, yet most still green, and lygus and bertha's have been a problem. August wet cool weather has delayed maturity, snow west of Rocky today. Since I didn't finish seeding (or call it quits June 15) barley is still quite green as some of the wheat crops too. Need two to three weeks at least frost free (ok to be really comfortable a month!), and a return to hot dry weather.
      Erik

Comment

I'll give it a shot...

Most of my HRSW is bleached out. Thanks to our visual grading system, it might not make the top two grades.

If I could sell my grain into a market that purchases grain on milling quality, there could be money to be made.

Just another look at how the CWB costs me money.

Comment

Here we go again...the CWB is responsible for farmers losing money when they have bleached wheat. Probably responsible for your boils and hair loss too.

Pathetic losers...blaming the CWB for everything under the sun.

Comment

Thanks Erik.

The question does relate to the CWB indirectly (not that I want to attract the goons around both sides of the single desk issue). The supply demand tables I look at highlight how tight Canadian wheat and barley supplies are in a crop year that should present bullish opportunity. Most is related to a decline in acres this spring although the mud bowl at seeding time didn't help. Yields from my guess are as close to average as I have seen (whatever average is).

The story from here on in is quality of this years crop. Dec CBT which is $3.50/bu ish versus over $4/bu this spring and Dec. MGE wheat futures which are $6.75/bu versus $5 to $6/bu this spring speaks to this. I could and have posted current barley prices which would also demonstrate this. Quality within a managers control is job #1.

My hope is that mother nature and individual management decisions allow us to harvest a good quality crop because that is where the shortage/super high prices are found.

Comment

wilago

I assume that grading is a CGC responsibility. Why would you tie the statement in to the CWB?

Comment

My apologies, but it seems to be difficult to stay with a neutral issue with depth of feeling some of the posters on this site have. It seems very difficult for some to admit when they go overboard, so to speak.

Comment

terralex,

2CWRS and lower has NO HVK requirement any longer, ONLY 1 CWRS needs 65% HVK.

Comment

Very close to being 2/3 done harvest. Probably need 10 more days.

Finished Winter Wheat Aug2 60 bu.acre, very dry 11% moisture and good protien, have contracted 2/3 for Nov delivery @ 4.33 bu. At this stage it is way too dry in SW MB to even consider planting winter wheat unless we get 1 - 2 inches of rain.

60 x $4.33 = $260 acre net (this same wheat is legally sold in ND for over $6)

Finished combining Canola on Sat. whole farm average was a whopping 29 bushels per acre, but all good quality.Have contracted some for Dec. delivery at $9.

29 x $9 = $261 acre net

Not quite 1/2 done Metcalf barley, quality looks good unsure of protien, but yield is a bit disapointing at 60 - 65.

Now 62 x $3 = $186 acre (for me the malt lottery is not on.)

Pre Liberal Judges Decision
                    62 x $4.50 contracted malting price = $279 acre net

Glenn Spring Wheat Info NA at this date.

Comment

Thanks Tom, didn't realize that grading change had taken affect.

Wilagro, I don't blame the CWB for everything. Sometimes its the NDP's fault

We are just about 3/4 done combining. Another 7 days should have us done.

Comment

Wilagro,

Since you brought it up, actually the CWB is primarily responsible for the Hard Viterous Kernel (HVK) standard... the CGC has known for some time that HVK does not affect milling quality.

Hard white wheat has no HVK standards from day one... and my understanding is all other HVK requirements have been removed from other classes of wheat... 1 CWRS is that only grade it applies to. These changes occured Aug 1 07. US standards are much different than Canadian HVK assesments.... with HVK being a seperate grading factor outside the primary grade when I shipped my CPS/CWRS a few years ago.

30% HVK in Canada was equal to 65% in the US system then... I don't know if this has changed much.

It used to be if you put the wheat on a flash light, with it on, if the kernel was translucent it was a HVK then if you cut it in half cross ways to the fold in the kernel... and it was primarily dark through the middle it was HVK.

Now if it is at all cloudy under a standard grading light it no longer HVK in 2006-07. I don't believe the CGC is changing this in 07-08 for a #1 CWRS.

Comment

oh you guys with your harvest near complete in August!!! That has never happened here, (we hope to start in August most years,) rarely even in september. I would die to have a dry year once in awhile. This probably sounds crazy, but its true. I'd rather have a decently dry, and timely crop than sit here waiting for some sunshine to harvest damp grain, green grain, and low quality grain. Our last good, dry harvest was ( scratches head), well I can't remember. I think 1995 was dry. We may have even finished in September that year. No wonder John deere sends their crews out here to test their combine prototypes under tough conditions. It never fails... Red river valley precip, with a gol dang yukon temperature, makes for high yields (except this year), a lot of straw, and late wet harvests.
                          Right now here is the deal in northeast Sask.

Winter cereals- Rye, some combined 50 bushels: Winter wheat- none that I am aware. Mine might go later this week. Many drowned out spots, thin spots, so hard to judge yield potential.I'm guessing 45, we can grow 90.

Spring wheat- Scarcley any planted, what was is very late.

Barley- some may be ready later this week 25%. 25% is grass green, and 50 % is turning. Yield could be from 40-90? most 50-60.

Oats- see barley. Good crops for sure 100 plus, but very late.

Peas- many fields grass green, 25% getting close. A good crop generally 40-60.

Flax- surprisingly yellow-brown, considering other crops stages. poor thin stands, too saturated. 15 maybe

Canola- 30% grass green, 30% swathed 40% getting close, within a week. 15- 45 bushels, with few fields at either end many in the 25-35 range, i'd say.

Many crops seeded late: june 15th and some later; that July heat everyone had? Our highest temp was about 34 C, and we had several july rains which slowed progress on an already late crop. 30% unseeded crop due to moisture.

I pulled up winter wheat plants to see the soil moisture. Absolute mud, we still need no precipitation until july of 2008!

Congrats to those who have a good crop in this year of reasonable prices, and my sympathies are with those who are suffering with a small, less than average crop in such a critical year. That is where I'm sitting too ... 35% unseeded, and what is there is much less than average in terms of yield potential, and if it froze, at least half the crop would still lose big time yield potential.

Comment

Central Alberta
                            2/3 of winter wheat off. Yield from 65 to 85 bushel average. Drowned out and moisture stressed areas pulling averages down. Bushel weights good 61 ,62 lbs but protein low 10 to 11. Lots of nitrogen applied so thinking shallow root system and excess rain may have reduced availablity to plant. Early barley and peas ready this week.

Comment

Southwest Sask
                              Peas harvested 3 weeks ago at 30 bus/acre, lentils 1100 lbs/acre #1, mustard 15 bushels/acre, durum 30 bus/acre #1 19%protein, chickpeas 25 bus/acre. Harvest is done, need lots of rain to replenish, darn neer lost my 12 year old down a crack in the ground.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...