• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Concern over harvest conditions

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Concern over harvest conditions

While it is still early for harvest in my area( west central Alberta) early indications point to a tough harvest. Like a lot of areas we are plagued by rain and or showers about every 5 days. On top of that we are experiencing high humdity with levels over 50% well into the afternoon. A lot of cooler nights have meant you have a short harvest day less common at this time of year. The crops we have swathed ( barley and canola) are showing lots of uneven maturity and some weed pressure in the areas stressed by too much moisture in the spring. This will mean longer time needed to cure these crops out. We were combining barley yesterday and although the crop was dessicated over 3 weeks ago it still has the smell of uncured crop. I would suggest monitoring bins maybe even more important this year. On the plus with all the late seeding we still seem to be about normal on crop maturity. Yields are down to average mostly because when you add up unseeded acres and moisture stressed acres you need some above average areas to make up the difference.

south of Red Deer it is the same Craig, got the canola swathed, some what disappointing short, thin, and even with all the heat in July disease moved as well. Barley is quite uneven, been straight combining yet could be a year to swath as all the land was pre-seed treated and on has to stop the bleeding of costs some how.
    One seed grower doing two row barley, straight cutting at 19% and drying it. Stained already with the continual showers we are getting here too.
    Seeding my winter wheat now,on some of the 500 acres that didn't get seeded in the spring. Funny that land is still wet and standing water in some areas still.
    Tradition shows Spruce Meadow's horse competition weekend is wet, so hope next week clears and we get 5 weeks of good weather!!

Comment

A major concern in N.W. Sask - rain every 3 days, mainly showers but last night heavy rain and hail. Wheat is being downgraded hard and that was before last night. Sprouts, frost, bleaching - alot of #3 will be the norm.
      Canola swaths took a beating, I will have a better handle on this when the sun is up. Mother nayure has done her damage here, hopefully we have enough time to get it off now. Crazy - we started Aug 7!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...