• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GRAIN COMMISION

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GRAIN COMMISION

I was told by someone(a little bit of an insider) that the grain commision was a real,real problem for farmers.

I dont know much about these guys,but i do know the grading of grain changes from year to year witch is bullshit.

They havent been brought up on this sight very often,so does anyone have any insight?

Newly (Harper) appointed anti-CWB commissioner Cam Dahl will be our CGC Saviour.

He will shake up all those so-called liberal government bureaucrats at the CGC so that we will be guarenteed that all our wheat will grade #1, all canola will grade #1, all green peas will make human grade, etc.

Plus he will ensure that we can deliver to non-bonded companies (that later go broke) and be assured of full payment.

By the way, why is it that a guy like Cam, who hates government, is now working for the government?????

Go Cam go! Life will be good without the CWB.

Comment

BennyHin,

Interesting that you already blame Cam for the 14 years of Liberal inaction that the CGC was choked with.

Why exactly did you say he "Hates" Government? Could it be possible he did not like "Big Liberal Gov.s" that talked the big talk but did nothing in many cases to resolve issues that should have been dealt with 10 years ago?

Please explain to us what Cam did to you... that brought on this latest keyboard smear campaign?

Comment

Cameron Dahl has served in a variety of positions within industry and government. Most recently, he represented Agricore United, Canada’s largest grain handler. There, he liaised between the company and various levels of government and developed coalition positions with other groups within the agricultural sector.

He has also served as an advocate for farmers as the Executive Director for the Grain Growers of Canada (2002-2005), a national umbrella group representing Canadian grain and oilseed farmers from coast to coast.

Mr. Dahl has represented both farmers and agri-business on a wide variety of government and industry associations and committees that have been established to help improve Canadian agriculture policy.

Mr. Dahl has a Bachelor of Science in Agriculture and a Master of Science, from the University of Manitoba, both with specialization in Agriculture Economics.

Cameron Dahl was appointed commissioner in August 2007.

Tom I don't see where he has much grain quality experience either as a grader or a producer. I do hope the CGC is overhauled because these political appointments either con or Lib aren't really what we need in that position. I like the B of D idea that was tossed around during the review much better.
        Here's another CGC news item.
        Chris Hamblin
        The Chief Commisioner is retiring.

Comment

mcfarms,

"Tom I don't see where he has much grain quality experience either as a grader or a producer."

Are these the qualities needed to be a Commissioner?

No. That is the job of the chief Inspector who is hired specifically, along with many others under that chief.

What are the "purposes" of the Canadian Grain Commission?

Here they are, straight from the Canada Grain Act:

“… the Commission shall, in the interests of the grain producers, establish and maintain standards of quality for Canadian grain and regulate grain handling in Canada, to ensure a dependable commodity for domestic and export markets.” [Section 13 Objects of the Commission]

THis includes Licensing and Security; Leading the grain industry in various ways:...

a)from updating our KVD system to allow growers to be competitive;
          b) to spear heading changes that will better serve both growers and industry better in the efficiency and effectiveness of our quality assurance system;
          c) to economic revisions that streamline the CGC to be efficient, innovative, cost effective, and astute enough to lead our grain industry forward in areas that will add value for both growers and consumers which the provides the "Value" we need to extract the most out of our produce.

In many ways Benny has the concept right, the CGC is the base institution that leads the CWB... if we don't best provide the varieties and quality that attracts end users/consumers... in the first place... why should anyone pay a premium for Canadian Grain?

Cam can do much with his innovative thought processes... and has the political skills to implement good leadership ideas!

Tell my why this is incorrect!

Comment

Everyone is too busy harvesting right now but thought I might through up the review of the Compas review of the canada grain act and canadian grain commission. Very little discussion a year even though implications are likely even more than single desk.

http://www.agr.gc.ca/info/consult/cgc-ccg/pdf/compas_cgc-ccg_e.pdf

Not asking to read (middle of harvest) but how many have read this document? I suspect the role of Cam Dahl and other will be to facilitate change and implement some of these recommendations.

Comment

Cottonpicken

Reading your initial post over, it had as much to grading factor changes year to year. I note that our system in western Canada is still visual. The industry is working towards different processes that will make grading more science based (eg. near infra red, different falling number testers, etc.) that will remove some of the human/visual element out of grading.

How many participate in the CGC harvest sampling process? Free. Good base information about you newly harvested crop.

Comment

You may be correct in that Charlie, I hope you are.
                Tom I'm not saying Cam Dahl doesn't have the poitical undersatnding to do the job. I'm questioning whether or not we as farmers are being properly served by having political appointees there. ( either appointed by the Liberals before or the conservatives now) I would much prefer a removal of the commissioner system within the CGC and the implementation of a more "business model" Cam Dahl might be a great fellow and exactly what the position needs but I'd rather he be hired on merit than appointed by politics.

Gosh Tom you of all people should agree with this sentiment. Or are you thinking the CWB should go back to Commisioners too.

Comment

mcfarms,

I truly believe the CWB has not been served well by having elected Directors. The people of Canada elect a government to rule the country, trade and commerce governence with the power the CGC and CWB have needs special people who ARE responsible to the people of Canada through the Minister Responsible for that position.

The PM is ultimately responsible... but even the Honourable Ralph Goodale/Alcock would have done much better with reforming the CWB IF they had been working with Commissioners rather than the people who they ended up with. If someone performs poorly... at pleasure appointments can be terminated easily. Not so with Farmers elected by farmers! Not a good way to Lead our industry... look at MPE, AWP and SWP for instance!

Comment

Knowing Mr. Dalh personally his abilities to work as a commissionaire and background makes him a perfect fit. CGC is going to experience a heck of a make over in the next year. With two more commissionaires retiring this fall, (Chris H and Terry H) hopefully the government appoints the qualified people to adapt and change the CGC into what grain producers need. An agency that is responsible, viable and accountable for its actions.
                    Erik

Comment

mcfarms

Interesting enough, some of the main recommendations of the Compas report are around governace.

My other comment would be the CGC is an industry organization that should represent all segments of the supply chain.

It also has a lot of elements/responsibilities within its control (eg. regulatory, customers service, market development, data collection, etc.). Some elements have a fit with an elected board. Other elements (perhaps the regulatory) need another process such as the current one.

Comment

Good to go back and read it From the compass review

I think they were decribing agriville LOL

Our review offers nearly one hundred recommendations along with their
                        underlying reasoning. Major changes in the global and domestic setting of the grain sector do require major changes in the Canadian Grain
                        Commission. But a sector as apprehensive, mistrustful, and
                        disharmonious as this one may have difficulty embracing change.
                        Respectful of the sector’s apprehensiveness, we place as much
                        emphasis as possible on the reasoning that underlies our
                        recommendations as the recommendations themselves

Comment

Tom this is what I was refering too, again nothing against Cam Dahl he might be wonderful but I do prefer the terms hired and elected over appouinted. ( despite the fact I myself have been appointed a time our two)

From the compass report

We recommend the creation of a single President/CEO/Chief
                          Commissioner, supported by Vice-Presidents and other senior
                          executives, for reasons explored at length in the body of the report.
                          �� The Canadian Grain Commission has six “Assistant Commissioners.”
                          The continuance of these ambiguously defined positions is in our
                          estimation incompatible with principles of modern government. For
                          reasons of clarity, we recommend creation in their place of an Office of
                          Grain Farmer Advocacy with a mandate to ensure that farmers
                          understand their rights under the Act and to advocate for them in
                          disputes with handlers, the CGC, or other stakeholders. The future of this
                          Office and its budget should be evaluated every three years on the basis
                          of evidence for the need of its services as shown in annual surveys of
                          farmer behaviour, knowledge, and perceptions undertaken by Agriculture
                          and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC). As an alternative to an Office of Grain
                          Farmer Advocacy, we would recommend that AAFC hold a competition inviting proposals from non-governmental organizations, to supply such
                          services.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...