• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wild Oats on KVD again

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wild Oats on KVD again

Some seedgrowers want KVD ended. To their way of thinking KVD will be replaced by IP. IP is a given in seed growing. Seed growers would have a competitive advantage.
    Some grain companies want KVD ended. Users requiring varietal identification will take the IP route. That’s value-added for grain companies. Some consumers of bread want KVD ended. Farmers could grow wheat cheaper and that means cheaper flour.
    Some consumers of bread, however, at the high end, want KVD, even though they’ve never heard of it. These customers pay up for bread that meets their specific tastes, and is available every day. Millers providing these specific flours continually use the same wheat and that means using KVD or IP. That need for consistent quality justifies a premium for wheat that can be visually identified by variety.
    Most Canadian wheat is sold as commodity wheat. That doesn’t mean it’s OK to wreck the one factor - KVD - that brands Canadian wheat at the top end.
    Canadian farmers can keep producing the most precisely identifiable, and therefore most valuable, wheat in the world.
    Or Canadian farmers can produce more commodity wheat competing with biomass from the tropics.

I don't know who he is quoting, but this fellow is not getting it prmeiums are not making it back to the farm gate.
    I can't afford the yeild hit KVD gives me without premium prices.
    Wheat breeders want KVD removed because many Farmers and most acers want KVD removed.
    If you want IP wheat get out the cheque book and pay farmers for it see IP canola, or look at the maltster proposal for malt barley.
    Show me the money!!

Comment

The main reason for removing KVD as a registration criteria is because it is preventing farmers from accessing new wheat varieties that might be better suited for their farm, or have traits that are better suited for certain markets.

There hasn't been a new variety of red winter wheat registered for western Canada in the past 6 years, often because the variety fails to meet the KVD criteria. This past spring, two red winter varieties were rejected (one with an 8% yield advantage in co-op trials) for that reason.

I can only imagine how discouraging this must be to our public plant breeders. The private sector, having recognized the constraints to introducing new wheat varieties in western Canada has long ago shifted resources to canola and other crops where there's a much greater chance of getting a return on your investment, if indeed you bring a better product to market.

To my knowledge, Western Canada is the only jurisdiction in the world that prevents the introduction of new varieties on the basis of their appearance. It might be justified if there weren't alternatives, but a declaration system works fine in other parts of the world (including Ontario), and there's no reason to think it wouldn't work here too.

Comment

I sat at a winter cereal meeting last winter the head of winter wheat breeding for western canada was there. If you want to listen to a frustated breeder that loves his job he was the one. On the other hand the head of the cgc was there and as far as the crowd was concerned he was just an arragont prick.

Comment

Blair et el,

I understand the US will supply about 38% of the worlds wheat that is traded commercially.

NO KVD in the US.

Eastern Canada grows non-KVD Hard Red Spring... yet the CGC makes it look like KVD is basic to eastern Canadian grading?

What have I missed here?

I saw varietial premiums paid, and why not!

In western Canada, we are expected to give away the service as growers for the CWB, even with Hard White Spring Wheat! The CWB justifies discount prices on white wheat... to keep CWRS KING...

Flour yield, Falling number, Protein, water absorption... and incremental discounts for shrunken and/or shriveled.

It is strange how every other country in the world except the "single desk" people... make a spec. system work just fine!

Is this a part of the "single desk" religion... ?

2006 had the highest quality wheat in years... and what premium did we get for it? NOTHING. ZERO. With a much less expensive handling system (field to vessel)on top, out of the designated area; than US growers pay...

UNBELIEVABLE...

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it is me! (Author Unknown)

Comment

Just wondering
            While you have it right that most people look at the kvd issue from their own perspective you need to consider other things.I would suggest that seed growers desire to see KVD removed has more to do with a desire to see a continual advancement of new varieties into commercial production which has been better for both them and their customers. While the grain companies suggest they are neutral on KVD they always have concern with any changes to the grain system. I am confused with your customer comments.Growers could grow wheat cheaper which implies improved yields. Are you suggesting that presently consumers are forced to pay more because they have no option but to buy premium wheat flour? Everyone needs to understand that KVD and quality are two different things. We also have to recognize that in all likelyhood we need to be moving to a system that follows the trend in other foods and that is addressing traceability and food safety. Finally your closing comments. Yes we can keep producing large amounts of the most valuable wheat in the world but it is of what value when that premium market continues to shrink and we end up giving that value away. At the end of the day net economic returns at the farm gate should drive what farmers grow. Realize that wheat needs to remain competitive in a cropping mix. If we restrict it's growth and development by regulation we in turn risk having it become a crop that is no longer viable to grow.

Comment

Craig my comments come from the wild oats news letter of Dec 18th.
              Part of his opinions from the floor of the Winnipeg commodity exchange.
              Myself I believe that we should have it removed Aug 1 08 tell everyone right now they will find a way to make it work.
              If some CWB high paying premium customers want KVD on their shipments get the CWB to select growers who can prove their ability to IP and pass those premiums along to those who choose the system.
              I always think of the specialty canola oil that I deliver. I should find out what the penalties are for a mix up. I don't know because we do get paid a premium and I have no desire to be an a S&^T list as a disreputable grower so we take measures that ensure no mix ups.
              We have to have severe penalties for false misrepresentation but allowances for those chance mix ups <3%

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...