• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CWB barley changes

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Erik/charlie
    It's tough to see how the new program can ensure that premium over the spot feed market let alone world spot prices, it's just going to be the CWB and their magical mystical basis adjustments.
    These never the same answer twice on how they are calculated

I guess I need Paul Besinger to tell me how the program works. Talk about trust me it's fine.

Comment

Burbert,

Your trolling is annoying.

If you need to market through a service provider that pools (like the CWB)... BE MY GUEST... on a voluntary basis.
      The right to forge one's own family farm and community's future... is an important step to responsible and accountable business management. It is also a fundamental right and freedom in a free and democratic society!

Comment

Posted by Burbert on December 10, 2003 at 16:51:40:

Which model of straight cut header will fit our 77 L2? We use the combine, for wheat, barley and canola and do about 400 acres per year.

Burbert needs the CWB.
        The CWB needs Burbert.
        Maybe the CWB will buy him a new head...er.

Happy New Year.

Comment

WheatGrower,

Schemey thought you had:

"Maybe the Maltsters should be buying "Feed Barley"

But there is one thing wrong with it.

Maltsters' facilities are designated as "works for the general advantage of Canada", which means they can be shut down in an instant if the grain arriving is not properely licensed.

The farmer can sell it, but the maltster can't buy it!

Keep in mind that the CWB can, and might, request to take a peek at the interprovincial license for the malting barley being delivered. No doumentation? The CWB would zap the Maltster's door shut.

Parsley

Comment

charliep, In order for the CWB to put money into the pooling accounts, they have to buy the grain and then sell it.

Buy it at one price.

Sell it at another price.

In the case of maltsters, the farmer would buy it back, right?

Parsley

PS

The CWB is back to word-tricking. Write one thing and mean another.Say one thiong and mean another.

The bottom line is this:

The CWB wants a piece of the action even thought they provide nothing useful. How? It means buying/selling farmers' grain. With sticky fingers.

Comment

At the savemycwb rally their was a speaker ( a former Alberta pool employee) who spoke about farming about that much.
              I don't no who who be more insulted by the comparison.
              I would stand by all the words I've posted here, would Burburt be able to stand by his?
              Remember famouspipeliner in the last Sask election

Comment

I should be careful of who I accuse of being Burburt though, the CWB has many 400 acre farmers. Some have very valid concerns and are quite articulate.
                None of them have the right to decide how I sell my grain.

Comment

From yesterday (Grainnews).

http://www.grainews.ca/issues/ISArticle.asp?id=78214&PC=FBC&issue=01022008

Ritz pans CWB barley pricing plan
                  FBC staff 1/2/2008 7:09:00 PM

Related ItemsMore News by TopicCrops Canada's agriculture minister calls the Canadian Wheat Board's proposed cash pricing option for malting barley a "half measure" he won't support.

In an opinion piece released to newspapers Tuesday, Gerry Ritz writes that the CWB's pricing plan for the 2008 malting barley crop does not go far enough for the liking of "farm groups and industry players."

Ritz added that the CWB's "failure was inevitable because it failed to publicly consult with western Canadian barley growers themselves."

The CWB's proposal was outlined for CWB permit book holders in a Dec. 24 podcast and is to be widely released this month.

In advance of the plan's release, however, Ritz described it in his article as attempting "to mimic the market through including some price signals and an element of direct negotiation between producers and the malting industry."

The move does not provide "clear, accurate and fully transparent price signals back to the farmer" and will still "trap" Prairie barley growers in the CWB's single-desk marketing system, Ritz added.

"Real action for marketing choice is the only option that will receive my full support," he wrote, referring to the Conservative government's phrase for opening up the single desk for Prairie barley.

Canada's four largest malting companies, which recently went public with their support for "marketing choice," also jointly panned the CWB's plan in a Dec. 27 release, saying it "limits the price going back directly to farmers, thereby continuing the inability to send proper price signals to growers."

Comment

OK now we have we have the WGEA on side for total barley deregulation, siting the in ability to come to a workable solution with the Canadian Wheat Board. Just what don't they understand (CWB) barley farmers spoke close to a year ago, the Maltsters have spoken , now our grain handlers have spoken. I'm sure there will be those that will say once more that the big bad multinationals are beating up on producers, right Burbert? and Stewart? Yet one has to realize the system is a complete failure any half measures such as the CWB's new malt plan will not work! Call your MP's tell them its time, time to move forward and ensure we have and know now that barley is out of the grasp of the CWB.
                    Erik

WGEA calls for Barley Deregulation / Dispute Resolution

The Western Grain Elevator Association is calling for the complete deregulation of barley as soon as possible, explaining that reaching resolution with the CWB on contract terms is not achievable.

The members of the WGEA have been trying to negotiate malt barley contracts with the Canadian Wheat Board over previous months, but the terms offered by the CWB are unacceptable. “The CWB’s contract terms do not allow WGEA member companies to provide full price transparency to their farmer customers, nor do the terms provide farmers and end use customers with the right market signals. In addition, the inherent restrictions within the contracts do not allow grain companies to operate in a commercially reasonable manner,” said Wade Sobkowich, Executive Director of the WGEA. “Given that the CWB is offering terms under a ‘half-way’ system that are unacceptable, the WGEA has no choice but to call for legislation to implement market choice for barley farmers as soon as possible and no later than August 1, 2008.”

The WGEA cites the lack of a dispute resolution process as part of the problem in the inability to arrive at acceptable contract terms. “Without the complete deregulation of barley, and without the ability to arbitrate contract terms with the CWB, the industry is placed in an untenable position,” says Sobkowich. “Even with complete deregulation we will still have a need to resolve disputes on many related issues in the transition period.” The WGEA members feel it is important to address these issues in order to move forward in the contracting of malt barley.

“Our objective is to help make the industry more profitable – this includes farmers,” added Sobkowich. “Within a competitive marketplace grain companies will be looking to maximize marketing opportunities, and look forward to working with their farmer customers in this regard.”

The Western Grain Elevator Association is an association of seven farmer-owned, public and private grain businesses operating in Canada, which collectively handle in excess of 90% of western Canada’s bulk grain exports. WGEA members own grain handling facilities throughout the country and at the ports of Prince Rupert, Vancouver, and Thunder Bay.

Executive Director

(204) 942-6835

Comment

More than enough "ordinary" farmer rumblings indicating they won't grow wheat or barley this year, enough of it that should cause some concern from farmer terminals if they are half-smart.

Poor '07 CWB crop prices = other '08 crops planted

Losers of bread and butter? CWB itself and those that buy CWB grains!

Parsley

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...