• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things to Watch for in Early 2008

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things to Watch for in Early 2008

What are the market issues you will be following this week and what strategies are you formulating.

I note the belated Christmas present the first trading day of 2008. Is $5/bu corn or bean in the teens very far away? Soyoil is above 50 cents /lb (Jan. 2 9:00 am). Canola above $500/tonne right across the board including Nov 2008. New crop western barley at $200/tonne. Loonie just above par. A good start to an optimistic new year.

We should also watch the rising price of fuel, fertilizer , chemicals and land!

Comment

China slapped on an exporting tarrif.

Comment

hot off the press, NH3 up $36, urea up $20, 11-52-0 up $80, and sulfate up $25. Note that there is no potash price...can't get any!

Comment

Cost of labour will be a magor cost to most producers. And good workers will know what they are worth prepare to pay more.

Comment

Note everyone is highlighting the cost side. The interesting difference to me is the comment on land. I guess your view is whether you are an owner/investor or someone trying to purchase/rent.

What is happening to land values/rental rates? How many farmers are doing the analysis of what they can get paid for rent/salary versus what they can net off the land themselves?

Comment

Also curious on the livestock side. Likely at least one or two of you with cows. What decisions are you/your neighbors making on your cow herd? How much pasture is going to get broke up this spring and seeded to crops?

Comment

As far as land prices and rent goes, here in south central AB don't see rent going up as we are some of the highest already. That and a lot of land here didn't get seeded due to excess moisture last year. So it will be a very difficult sell by the absentee landlords to try to raise rents.
                As to land values, the highway 2 corridor speculation effect is holding back any farm expansion. Perhaps those that are buying have been bought out by a town or city and still want to stay in the general area. With the price they got they can afford it. The movement of producers here, coupled with a new environment with more proactive ideas on its natural resources in SK I think they will continue to see land prices there go up.
                Thankfully the equity in my land is keeping me going, won't have to use it this year, so definitely need a crop and the choice to sell it to whom I please as well.
                Eirk

Comment

http://www.isteve.com/IQ_Table.htm

Comment

Note the difference between East and West Germany!

Comment

I'm sorry, but what is the connection to the topic? A lot of caution needed here with different IQ tests from different decades and different methods used and small sample sizes (eg. 313 in Canada). I wouldn't put much stock in this table.

Comment

In the valley of MB everyone is bullish. Corn is at 4.50, beans at 10.50. Land prices are up, land rent is a bit shy of $100 / ac.

Comment

Look at everyone in the world as a potential customer. You produce and want to sell. They want to buy.

Variability and diversity is what the world is.

Just the same as crop reports may be scant, and lack accuracy, they provide a glimpse at a given moment.

Where the genome project is/will be heading/is contemplating/ will have a profound effect upon how we view the world we live in. How we interpret our world. How we alter our world.

Genes. Things to watch for in 2008.

Comment

Rent doesn't seem to be changing here, about $40. A lot of cattle got sold off and the land rented out last spring, probably a lot more again this spring. Most of it isn't really suited for anything but pasture and rough hay though.
                            Sold 09 SRWW this morning, $212/tonne.

Comment

Cash rent not moving here yet. Some tuff years in the past still in local farmers minds. Still around 20 -30 dollars per acre. Some nice crop share checks being paid. Farmers worried about the large expenses so don't want to pay more.
                              Outside investors (Alberta investors) looking for someone to rent the land yet. Pretty much all the yard sites have been bought up from people escaping or moving back from Alberta.
                              Now that reminds me I still must meet about a dozen new neighbours.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...