• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sask Pulse Growers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sask Pulse Growers

How much will the budget increase for SPG. They have a NON-REFUNDABLE 1% checkoff.
    With Peas over $10
    lentils 30 they will see huge growth in revenues.
    Is this an example of how grower organizations should work, or is this a huge cash grab?
    They did an Insightrix survey tonight and I agreed strongly on most of the stuff they are doing ,but WOW they are taking their pound of flesh.

some rough math
    42 tonnes of Red Lentils at .32cent lb=
    42 x 2204= 92568lbs
    92568 x .32 cents/lb = $29621.71

$29621.71 x .01 = $296.21 a load in checkoff

All I'm saying is thats ALOT

Comment

They need to be thrown out the same window the CWB needs to be pitched out.

Landing on their heads a few times will smarten a few up, but generally speaking it's the attitude that will remain, a residue similar to the dirty ring on the tub.

A lot of folks want to download all rising costs on farmers and they think we are so stupid we'll not notice, and if we do, we'll do nothing.

Parsley

Comment

Grower org. must have a refundable levy. That makes them credible. If I don't agree with what they are doing, I can take my money back. With a non-refundable levy, they can do whatever they want, and farmers can't do a damn thing.

Comment

I have always been of the opinion that it should be refundable.Now is the time to push for it tobe so.Was not achieveable with the NDP in power.

Comment

I agree with having a refundable levy as well but what would you restrict them on In their survey I agreed that they should be working on market development ,new varieties ,weed control, you name it I agreed. Too have a who;;y refundable levy would leave you broke and spending a lot of time trying too fund raise, effectively taking money from other volunteer groups.
            BUT exactly as Kryger says a refundable levy makes them that much more accountable.
            I don't think they needed the new Taj-mahal they built and question how many staff they need.
            Possibly reducing the levy to a per tonne dollar limit rather than percentage of sales?

I wish more pulse growers would chip in how does it work in other provinces?

Comment

The issue surrounding the levy is that a large portion of dollars are invested in research and pulse breeding. Those items benifit all and hard to remove/ectract the value from farmers that pull back the levys.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...