• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Farmer decisions

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farmer decisions

How many farmers decide what they are going to grow based on what they wished they grew last year?

Heard this the other day and was thinking this can't be as much of a deal as before. The farmers who have worked through this last while and the new farmers that have come into the industry must be stronger decision makers than this.

I believe you are right. A lot of farmers do base their cropping decision on experience for the past year. Seems to me to be a little short sited.

Comment

Hope that most farmers keep to their senses and don't base their cash rent on these prices.

Comment

Now days, what farmers "decide to grow", and what farmers "suggest they're growing" or two different things, and rightly so! I will not be informing the elevator agents, the chemical retailers, coffee shop or telemarketers, any more about my plans than is absolutely necessary. More than ever this year I will be doing my best to keep them in the dark about what I'm planting! The only people(probably urban), "that think farmers plant what did best last year" are the same people(probably urban), "that think farmers are concerned about daylight savings time because the cow milking might get messed up"! After taking many things into account, farmers will plant, whats best for their farm.

Comment

I hope farmers stick to their rotations. Screwing with the rotation this year, based on last year prices, will just screw up next years rotation and profits.

Right now, whatever you seed, will make a decent profit.

Comment

Hello statistics Canada,,,,,lies lies and more lies. I'm growing half ornamental daisies and the other half medicinal something ....

Comment

Sounds like fun mcfarms. I have an acre of land with 500 ostrich (ostriches? Heck if I know)

Comment

Actually I'm amazed by how many farmers here do just that. Like all my neighbours with winter wheat they never grew before, all unpriced, and all likely to go to harvest 100%uncontracted, because after all "I could have got $X last summer, why would I contract for less now?"

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...