• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reaction to CWB Wanted- Durum deliveries

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reaction to CWB Wanted- Durum deliveries

The CWB is searching for additional supplies of durum from producers who have fulfilled their delivery comitments. There are some supplies that aren't under any hold or contract to anyone; but why wouldn't a producer at least pause to reflect that you stand to net only about 40% of this durum's current value everywhere else in the world . I don't know any businessman who would jump at that kind of offer.
    Most of us remain without any options. Perhaps the CWB could contact all organic and seed growers who strongly support the CWB. I'm sure certified seed and cleaned organic grain would blend in with CWB shipments. This gesture would show a genuine commitment to professed CWB support.
    How many of you have heard of the CWB "alkaline noodle project"? About January, the CWB solicited samples from a small number of producers who might have some older poorer grade durum for a small scale milling run. I hand delivered the requested sample and less than a month ago was told it was exactly what they wanted. The details were spelled out in a phone call from Winipeg. Payment was $700; it would be picked up; and a 1.5 tonne mini bulk bag of this durum was the next step. Fine; that was their offer; but in a case like this a producer has the rare opportunity to negotiate.
    In a rare moment of quick thinking I concluded this is the perfect opportunity to go for a once in a lifetime deal. Who else would be able to say that the CWB paid the US price for at least 54 bushels of durum; and further it isn't being selfish or greedy to the point of extortion. The request was a complete nuisance to me; having to move and start a grain auger in potentially cold weather, weighing the grain etc. etc all for free....... So I asked for 20.50 US/ bushel which was the actual US elevator price (and not even an elevator known for having the highest price). I was informed that the CWB would have to check with Mr. Klippenstein; to see if they could pay more than what they had planned.
    Silence speaks volumns; and I now publically announce that I have withdrawn my counter offer. As expected; I am now content to say that the CWB will not even pay something approaching a fair price for durum that was needed, not widely available and by their own admission was exactly what they wanted.
    Just like the loss of the "Crow Rate"; the demise of the CWB surely won't correct all of agricultures' problems. On the other hand similar current CWB services could be and are provided by all sorts consultants, brokers and businessmen.
    It will now take more than rhetoric to convince me the CWB should have any relevance to WHEAT, DURUM WHEAT or BARLEY.
    I encourage the Feeral government to make sweeping legislation so that we won't have to again go through the same process of political and self interest turmoil.

After careful study of the deal, they have most likely concluded that you would have either used that money inappropriately on debt or food, or just buying land from some other poorer/smaller farmer.

They would also have to change the PRO for that massive increase in marketing costs.

Comment

checking,

Organic growers are divided into two camps.

True organics want to market their own grain, liase with their buyers, get feedback, work in a free market system. They never, ever, asked for Government money, or prvilege. They quietly set about building an industry of their own, with the key elements of traceability and value adding, and third party verification. They want to grow organically/market organically. They choose independence.

The new entrants into organics you are referring to, are often the reverse. Looking for handouts. Looking for someone else to do it for them.Looking for privilege.

Don't confuse the two camps.

The second one , truly, is not organic.

Parsley

Comment

Thankyou parsley. That is a very important point which I have not missed in my initial post.

There is however an additional point that can not be gotten around. For whatever reasons; the CWB monopoly has cut a special deal for all organic farmers who wish to market the "same" CWB grains for export food use ; that I can not buy back except at 100 plus times the organic buyback rate. In every conversation with CWB officials; they always mention at least once about the buyback option available to farmers such as myself.

That doesn't appear to be a viable option unless you are looking for losses and non productive hassles.

Comment

I agree.

The buyback for organic is very low. Special deal.

Teachers' pets.

The CWB hated the neverending hassle from organic growers.

They hated being trashed in the press by organics.

Sooooooooooo the Board caved.

Simple

Anything to shut up dissidents.

Think about the deals
          WE DON"T EVEN BLOODY KNOW ABOUT!!!!

Get this:

All feed mills bypass buybacks.

ALL.

EVEN THE CWB DIRECTORS DID NOT KNOW THIS.

Just staff that sign the licenses.

hmmmm.

hmmm

Now, if I'm a company and I don't wannna do a buy back any longer, how could I possibly convince staff to sign the license?

Hmmmm
          hmmm

public meeting?

nah

hmmm

I'll have to sleep on that one.

Parsley

Comment

my durum is staying in the bin no more will i sell to a communist wheat board

Comment

That same thought is uppermost in the factors which will determine how my remaining durum supplies are pryed loose.

Comment

I emailed the cwb last JUly and told them the heat was kicking the shit out of crops. Then I asked them where they thought the wheat and durum was going to come from.

Furthur everyone signed up the A series contract. Now they need more durum. Market analysts - not likely.

All a guy would have to do is add up the contracts. A calculator worth 50 cents would do. And these retards could not figure this out?????

It is embarrassing. Now they think farmers should haul with road bans and when they are trying to put a crop in. And not even put a huge premium on it.

Every other crop has had newcrop prices doubled from last year except for the incompetent people in winnipeg.

Completely idiotic

Comment

For you last three poster boys....seems like you need a good course on how things work here in Canuckistan......Here`s how your well earned POOL money is being spent on YOU!!!It`s not a bad course ,OTHER THAN THE PROPAGANDA part!!!Just ask your local CWB rep,there`s no reason they shouldn`t tell who they`ve selected in your area???!!Maybe it`s a secret???? posted Jan 23, 2008 14:23
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Been doing some research,Disclaimer at the bottom!
                  DATES FOR 2007/08
                  January 14-18, 2008

There is no cost for the farmer to attend.If your interested in attending,
                  please let me know.

COMBINE TO CUSTOMER
                  Objective and Key messages

Objective

The Combine to Customer (C to C) program is one of the most effective
                  ways the CWB has to communicate with its farmer stakeholders. This is
                  largely due to the fact that there is a full 4.5 days of interactive
                  contact between CWB staff and industry with a select group of farmers.
                  At a cost of $240,000 for eight courses it is not inexpensive, but
                  compared to other communications costs it is extremely effective in
                  achieving our goal.

Because the Farm Business Representatives carefully choose the
                  participants we are able to effectively target a group of farmers who
                  will still be in business 10 years from now and are key leaders (not in
                  the political sense) within their communities. The target group also
                  includes farmers who are questioning the value of the CWB but are willing
                  to listen to the arguments to assess the value. Having farmers go
                  through the course is an attempt to build a bridge into the farm
                  community where farmers themselves can convene the message. This
                  approach is far more effective than the CWB telling its own story.

The main objective of the specific C to C program is to convey to the
                  participant the value of the Canadian system and more specifically the
                  value that the CWB adds to the farmers within the system because of its
                  single desk selling feature. In addition to the main objective, the week
                  long course is also intended to give producers an insight into the roles
                  of other organizations such as CIGI, the CGC, the Canadian Malt Barley
                  Technical Centre, etc. The CWB works closely together with these
                  organizations in order to add value for grain producers and it is
                  important that producers learn about their functions and new initiatives.

Key Messages

The following key messages should resonate throughout all the
                  presentations:
                  · The CWB is farmer owned and controlled
                  · The objective of the single desk and how it impacts farmers
                  · The CWB is now a different organization since the Act (Bill C4) was
                  changed
                  · The CWB is focused on their farmer customers and takes them seriously
                  · The CWB is accountable "You spoke, we listened"
                  · The CWB is flexible and efficient
                  · The new initiatives that have been put in place in recent years

Participants should feel that they have not committed to a week of CWB
                  promotion but rather feel that this will be a great opportunity to get
                  all of their questions answered and have their opinion heard on important
                  issues facing the grain industry.

thanks
                  CWB REP

Comment

Also forgot to ask.Was this poor Deanna Allen`s pet project????????Will it be gone too?? I really can`t see how these courses can be justified as "MARKETING costs"!

Comment

A memory is never finished.

Parsley

Comment

Cropduster: Please tell me again why anyone should jump at a marketing opportunity to sell even more additional durum to the CWB; for which you will likely receive about 40% of its value. Maybe the CWB answer is good enough for some others; or maybe I just don't get it; so this is an invitation for anyone to concentrate on this single question "Why jump at the marketing opportunity to almost guarantee you won't get more than 40% of the worth of any additional durum you might now sell to the CWB"
                        As for being a boy; everyone knows the average age of farmers; so it would be more appropriate to address posters as something like pensioners; old foggies; or over the hill etc. etc
                        Everyone still needs a sense of humor too; even in the middle of the biggest loss some have ever suffered.

Comment

Hey that`s why I figured you just gotta take the course!!It`s free don`tcha know!!In my other post I said I couldn`t believe that shallow propaganda could work,BUT, it seems it does,at least for some folks!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...