• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High HRS and Durum prices a Myth in Western Canada!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parsely, i firmly believe your political antenna is receiving the same station as i am.

Order paper death is a painful process with a million excuses and pitfalls. Or maybe i'm just tired.

Comment

Ok, so I'm having a sleepless night.

If I were to give Gerry or more precicely the Harper Gov't, a grade on CWB reform, it would be 60% because they're only doing barley. And because they're a year and a half late they are further deducted another 50%. So my final grade for ol' Gerry is 10%.

Unless the Bill is titled;

An Act to REPEAL the CWB Act.

It's really not going to mean much.

Barley is so anti-climactic. Barley is already dead as far as an industry is concerned, new malt investments are going to be decide upon within the next six months and there is zero chance of this bill becoming law within that time frame and the feed market is slideing into oblivion faster than you can say "total collapse of the cattle and hog industry".

Barley is deader than Julius Caesar.

Wheat is where the play is, wheat is where the feds can still make a difference, but do you think they are smart enough or forward thinking enough to see that reality today?

Not a hope.

But where are the farm groups demanding action on wheat????

Crickets! that's all I hear. The odd lonely tumbleweed rolling across the wind swept prairie. Other than that, Nothing.

why are we all accepting of just barley being done only ????

Because Gerry said so ????

Pathetic.

The farm Groups should be hanging their heads in shame for just going along to get along.

I didn't go to Gerry's little show because it seemed to me so irrelevant to what is reality that I just couldn't be there. I had other personal commitments that took far greater precedence and even if I hadn't had prior commitments I don't think I could have gone and clapped my hands and waved a sign in support of what will probably amount to NOTHING changing.

We're ready to invade Normandy,

And Ritz is still trying to figure out whether Hitler is is nice guy or not!

Oh well, what's another wasted ten years?

Comment

Stubble when the Chick pea lottery was held years ago I wasn't piss-d that you guys made money Hell I was happy for you. Good finally a crop for Southern Areas.

Comment

Folks,

Regina had to be done.

What David said... had to be said.

Organic got their exempt licensing system. No change to the CWB Act. NO NEED to change the CWB Act. Wheat is no different. The Western Grain Marketing Panel Report indicated the same. AND TOLD the CWB to start issuing the export licenses.

Ritz and Anderson are RIGHT.

Have you watched QUESTION Period?

THese guys got hung for killing Deanna... and they had nothing to do with that decision.

RITZ is RIGHT.

DION, GOODALE, TALIBAN JACK, And the Easterfried Bunny need to be left danging out in the political wind... for the totally stupid and insane policy they are forcing 'designated area' grain growers to live by.

Anderson and Ritz... the big guy himself...cannot tell these guys what to do.

But we can.

1000 letters/e-mails/faxes a day to each one of these misguided politico's... would make a huge difference.

There should be billboards with their faces on them... RED COMMIE faces... but you guys are going to let them off scott free?

WHAT IS THIS?

WE ARE THE dummies who elected the likes of Ritter, Flaman... And McDreary! Manitoba is even worse!

We have to be the worst communicators...at getting the realistic and positive story out...that we have to tell!

Comment

How about 1000 phone calls daily to the CWB?

CWB staff cave like butter on a windowsill in summer.

STRESS LEAVE, Where art thou?

Parsley

Comment

wd9

Folks in the minister's office don't even know Merchant had launched a court case against the CWB.

That's being heads up, all right.

Right.

Agri-viller farmers are better informed than a lot of staff they end up paying for. It's our business, and hopefully we have learned, the hard way, that nobody has more of a stake in our business than we do.

Parsley

Comment

Weber Commodities newsletter obviously didn't drink the kool-chocolate at Ritz' Rah-Rah either:

"Compare this to hockey. Sometimes the weaker team wins because it has heart. The left has more heart and will win this fight again unless farmers take control of this file."

UNQUOTE

The Government prefers votes to farmers.

Parsley

Comment

I agree with Adam Smith.

For the most part I think Atlas has already shrugged, not just in barley but in wheat as well, and he is not coming back until the government gets the CWB out of the way.

Comment

emailing is , ah, er, so estrogentically busy.

And although paper threats are indeed a formidable nuisance, and a perfect morning coffee supplement, they are not daunting to the blind.

But if farmers give a deadline, and that deadline passes, as does a gallstone, surely they will move to something a little more noticeable.

Like ah, disruption

Disruption works well.

Surely someone noticed the tactics of the grain handlers at the West Coast.

Are there a few Tom and, Harrys out there that can still sit up and take notice of the gall they are being forced to swallow?

Parsley

Comment

Fransisco,

Do YOU want to write MP's or do you want hundreds of the MP's mad constituents writing to the MP?

What is most effective?

Parsley

Comment

Parsley,

You had better know what the Media are going to do... and how people will react.

If an activity is taken the "wrong" way...

Grain growers will pay.

There is nothing worse than a squabble where folks who SHOULD know better... squabble and fight amongst themselves!

AND Farmers in the 'designated area' are as talented as anyone on the planet... at this 'special' skill! We even have Profs and Special interest groups... dedicated to making ourselves 'Look' horrible!

The Media LOVES this!

Comment

Well, that certainly happened in Regina.

First of all, the Minister was hours late. It was freezing cold.

Squabble.

The Minister's speech/format certainly divided the camps sharply.

Maybe farmers need to sit down with each other and make a "how to survive" plan.

A dispute mechanism. lol

Parsley

Comment

Parsley,

DO you think we could get Goodale, Easter, and Layton,,, to sit down with say... the Grain Growers of Canada... and resolve this issue?

Comment

Every political party I have observed/supported/worked against/ignored, each one of them, never gave a damn about farmers.

Regina Leader-Post
                              March 4, 2008
                              By Murray Mandryk

A federal election over barley?

How close we were (or possibly still are) to fighting a national election over the marketing of barley is something that we may never know.

What we do know is that we're no longer quite as close as we were a few days ago. Other political developments appear to be taking precedence.

Notwithstanding the libel chill that Liberal leader Stephane Dion faces in the wake of Prime Minister Stephen Harper's threatened lawsuit over whether now-deceased MP Chuck Cadman was offered a bribe, the burning political question in

Ottawa is this: Were high-ranking Conservatives engaged in the same tawdry politics as the Liberals who brought us the sponsorship scandal?

Suggestions from Dona Cadman (Cadman's widow) that her late husband told her high-ranking Conservatives allegedly dangled a million-dollar life insurance policy in exchange for his vote to bring down the Paul Martin government in May 2005 have become an unexploded landmine for Harper's government.

Even with Dona Cadman's most recent comments that she doesn't believe Harper himself knew about the offer, these are still pretty serious allegations of a serious ethical breach. That they are supported by Cadman's daughter and son-in-law only adds to their weight.

The uncertainty created by Cad-scam (as some headline writers call it) likely has made the Conservatives less eager to force Stephane The Unready into a confidence motion that could bring down the minority government.

And, believe it or not, the street theatre we saw in front of the Legislative Building last Friday over barley marketing might have been the proposed vehicle to force just such a vote.

At the "rally", federal Agriculture Minister Gerry Ritz announced that his government intended to amend the Canadian Wheat Board Act to remove the agency's monopoly on barley sales via a bill in the House of Commons. Ritz also hinted his government might make this a vote of confidence, causing many across the country to speculate that we could be going to the polls over what's an incredibly obscure issue ... even in most of Saskatchewan.

Politically, however, this was actually a rather ingenious move.

For all the pushing and shoving (or, better put, swearing) between pro- and anti-Wheat Board forces at the rally, this isn't the biggest issue among Prairie producers. Sure, ending the Wheat Board's monopoly on barley will be harder on smaller producers (though it will be interesting to see if some of the big producers will do quite as well as they think). Either way, comparatively few farmers make their living off barley.

This issue is, however, of huge symbolic importance -- something akin to the gun registry, which seemed to anger a lot more Westerners than it ever affected. And like the gun debate, it seemed to be of even greater symbolic importance to politicians.

For the Liberals, there's the legitimate argument that it would be the first real step toward eliminating the CWB altogether. Wascana Liberal MP Ralph Goodale said earlier this year he couldn't even "imagine a circumstance where the Liberal party would vote for a piece of legislation that attempted to destroy the Canadian Wheat Board".

For the Conservatives, getting rid of the monopoly grain marketing agency has always seemed to be of disproportionate importance.

Having failed to smoke out Stephane Dion and the Liberals on the crime bill, the Afghanistan mission or even the federal budget, the barley controversy is actually a rather powerful statement.

For the Conservatives, the real beauty of forcing an election over the Canadian Wheat Board is that it would quickly be forgotten in the ensuing campaign -- especially elsewhere in the country, where voters haven't even heard of the CWB. That would let the Conservatives make the next election about something else -- like Dion's leadership, or lack thereof.

This sure looked like the Conservative gameplan until the Chuck Cadman story broke.

Now, one can only wonder if the Conservatives still are all that eager to hold a confidence vote and risk going to the polls with such a potentially explosive issue on their plate.

UNQUOTE

Don't look towards those you trusted the most, to care about what happens to you.

Parsley

Comment

Parsley,

Life can be FUN!

Like having Dinner with good freinds over a great meal.

And Talking through problems... learning about each other... quirks... weaknesses... strengths!

Lets encourage each other to do the things we do WELL even better... and build a better mouse trap... whenever we can!

Politics is messy. Anyone who has ever been involved... knows appearances... and intents... are often at odds.... ESPECIALLY when the Media have a hate on for people who try too hard to get the job done!

Lets build a better country. The alternative does little except depreciate the value of our next generation of Canadians!

God Bless Canada!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...