• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Premier Redford... The TRUTH please...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Premier Redford... The TRUTH please...

From Danielle Smith:

"Dear Friend

Last night, Alberta Premier Alison Redford took to the airwaves to explain how she and her government got Alberta’s budget so wrong. Her eight minute, taxpayer-funded broadcast tried to blame Alberta’s budgeting woes on what she has called Alberta’s “bitumen bubble”.

Albertans who tuned in to see what their tax dollars paid for last night were left dismayed that our province, with its abundant natural resources, strong economic growth, and low unemployment rate, is still unable to pay its bills and make ends meet.

Surely something must have happened to transform our province from an economic engine into a fiscal basket case. According to Premier Redford, that “something” is the price differential between North American oil prices, and the discount at which Alberta bitumen sells because of a lack of transportation and refining capacity. To listen to the Premier last night, this price differential must have exploded over the past three months, from when she said Alberta would return to surplus next year, to last night’s admission of a $5 billion revenue shortfall. Surely that same price differential couldn’t have existed during last spring’s provincial election where the Premier and her team promised billions in new spending and a fast return to balanced budgets.

But here’s what the Premier didn’t tell you in her speech. That price differential between the North American benchmark price of oil and what Alberta receives per barrel stands today at $36.85 per barrel. On February 9th, 2012, the day that Alison Redford’s PC government released their last budget, the price differential was $36.24 per barrel! That’s right, the differential which is always fluctuating is today almost exactly where it was on budget day.

During the election she promised no debt, no deficits, no tax increases and billions in new spending, and she has now broken or is about to break every one of those promises. With all of these broken promises, not to mention the regular ethical scandals being investigated as we speak, is it any wonder why Albertans have lost all trust in this PC Government?

Today, the Premier continues her media offensive, talking about tough choices and conversations about our fiscal future. She implied this morning that her government would be looking to find savings by cutting back on doctors and teachers – front line services which are already stretched across the province. Rather than scaling back on corporate welfare, cutting politician pay and perks, cancelling vanity projects like refurbishing MLA offices, or thinning the ranks of Alberta’s bloated bureaucracy, Premier Redford seems intent on balancing the budget on the backs of Alberta families. Crowded classrooms and endless waits in hospitals appear to be on the horizon as this Premier finally accepts the reality of her reckless decisions.

Wildrose has always maintained that Premier Redford’s revenue projections for oil were overly optimistic. Many private sector forecasters projected lower oil prices for Alberta, but were completely ignored by the PC government. Our Balanced Budget and Savings plan outlined a fiscally responsible, achievable plan to pay for vital services like education and health care while moving Alberta back to the black. Shortly, we will unveil a ten-year debt-free capital plan which will show how we can build vital infrastructure without pushing Alberta back into debt. Finally, we continue to produce alternative budgets which chart a responsible course for our province’s finances.

Like you, I believe that the future remains bright for Alberta, and that our economic fundamentals remain solid. The only thing standing between us and long-term prosperity is an incompetent PC government who lurches from crisis to crisis. Wildrose will continue to offer realistic proposals to meet our province’s challenges, all within the context of a balanced budget. As always, we believe that any government needs to live within its means, and put the best interests of its citizens first."

Thank you for your continued support.

Best regards,

Danielle Smith
    Leader of Wildrose
    Leader of the Official Opposition

So why then does Alberta literally give
    away all the resources and screws
    Albertans on electricity etc?

Comment

Holy cow,you really just typed that wd?

Comment

Sure did cotton. Whine about budget
        deficit but don't raise royalty.
        Brilliant. Just give it away. Stupid
        stupid!

Comment

You mean you don't get something for nothing?

Comment

In a letter, here is what Premier Redford said:

Dear PC members,

This evening, I began a conversation with Albertans about the challenges we face as a result of the rapidly falling price of Alberta oil.

As leader of the Alberta Progressive Conservative Party, I’m proud to lead a party and a province that has achieved so much. Our Party was elected to keep building the new roads, schools and health facilities our province needs while protecting Albertans’ high quality of life, both now and in the future. And that is exactly what we’ll do.

Today, 30% of our budget is funded by revenues from oil and gas. This means we are vulnerable to swings in resource prices – as we have seen with natural gas prices in the past, and now the price we receive for Alberta oil. This “bitumen bubble” - a much lower price for Alberta oil caused by limited market access and rapidly growing oil supply in the US - means the Alberta Government will collect about six billion dollars less in revenue this year alone.

So as we prepare this year’s budget, it means we have to make some very tough choices. But rest assured we will hold the line on our spending and live within our means.

As Progressive Conservatives, you have an important voice as we continue this conversation. Next month, I will lead the first annual Alberta Economic Summit and we’ll hear from industry experts, business and not-for-profit sector leaders and academics. And in the coming weeks I’ll be reaching out to you, and every Albertan, directly through telephone town halls and an online budget tool. I will listen and I will act.

My address to Albertans this evening can be watched, and shared with your friends and family, at www.youtube.com/user/youralberta.

In the proud tradition of Alberta’s Progressive Conservatives we will continue to talk to Albertans about our vision for the future. We will build on our Party’s legacy of fiscal conservatism with a strong social conscience that has built Alberta into the greatest place in Canada to live.

As your leader, you have my commitment that I will protect Albertans gains and continue to build for the future.

Alison Redford

Comment

You might mean getting nothing for
              something agstar!

Comment

Sounds like the lead up to a sales tax to me.

Comment

Betch you would sing a different tune if they start
                  charging royalty tax on the grain you grow.

Comment

Raise the royalty,bankrupt the companies that are
                    already struggling then you'll get less royalty
                    revenue,and other forms of tax revenue go which
                    way,ding,ding,ding,LOWER!

Comment

cottonpicken: Your ass is suckin' slough water if you think those companies are losing money. RECORD PROFITS were the headlines in the Calgary papers a while back.

Because those companies pay very, very little royalties until ALL capital costs are recovered, they can afford to pay big wages to their workers AND their MANAGEMENT. Its a waiting game for the province...they hope some day for these companies to make money but it so far has not happened. Good planning or what? Good crooked tactics is more like it.

The whole oilsands development is so secretive that the public is left in the dark about what really goes on. The governments of Alberta and Canada both withhold data claiming it to be privileged information. There is also a myriad of agreements that I doubt will ever be opened to the public.

Comment

I just hope and pray they keep giving money to their friends with the carbon capture and storage and the very much needed power line deals.

We would be lost without those projects.

Comment

Cotton, i would gladly pay a tax on
                          grain if all i had to do was **** the
                          land and take it for almost nothing.

You cannot compare the two. Raise the
                          royalties, listen to the whining for a
                          while, watch the companies continue
                          business as usual EXCEPT things like
                          free education, replacing roads that oil
                          companies destroy, pay for electrical
                          infrastructure, pay for reclamation
                          rather than mortgaging from our kids, on
                          and on.

But nope, give it away. Pathetic.

Comment

uh...Tom....how did you get the private letter to PC members? Weren't you a die hard Wildrose boy....or were you a wolf in sheeps clothing?

Comment

wd9: You have read it exactly right!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...