• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aster Yellow, could it be as bad next year?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aster Yellow, could it be as bad next year?

All this drought in the U.S. has sure got me rethinking my canola acreage next year. Right now could agrue that conditions there are ideal for migration north in the spring time. No doubt that they could get some mositure and reduce that risk, but maybe smart to take some out and pencil in some acres of peas and flax instead. Still good returns with lower inputs.

Just a thought.

Aster infect flax as well.

Comment

I did not know that bucket.
      As bad as in canola?

Comment

From the flax council website:

Aster Yellows

The six-spotted leafhopper is the main vector which transmits the mycoplasma-like organism that causes aster yellows in flax, other crops such as canola and sunflower, and in some weeds. The disease occurs annually but commonly only traces occur in Western Canada. However, an epidemic in 1957 caused widespread severe yield losses in flax and other crops.

Symptoms: Aster yellows symptoms include yellowing of the top part of the plant, conspicuous malformation of the flowers, and stunted growth (see Photo 32). All flower parts including the petals are converted into small, yellowish green leaves (see Photo 33). Diseased flowers are sterile and produce no seed. The severity of the disease depends on the stage at which plants become infected and the number of insect vectors that carry the organism. The mycoplasma-like organism overwinters in perennial broadleaved weeds and crops, but most infections are carried by leafhoppers that migrate from the United States.

Control: Seed early to avoid the migrating leafhoppers in mid and late season. Seeding early also reduces the incidence and severity of aster yellows and its negative impact on yields.

I think it was said asters can be seen in wheat as well.

Anyway there is nothing you can do about them anyway. No sprays yet?

Comment

Lost 15-20% yield in my flax last year due to asters, have pictures and would post them here, if there was an easy why to do it!

Comment

We had in our wheat last year. Probably took 30 % of our yield vs taking 70% or more in our canola.
            I guess im just looking at what can i plant that has the lowest risk and that aster will affect the least.

Bucket you can spray for them but would have to spray every 3 days and sounds like it is extremely uneffective.

Did you have canola that it was effected as well too boader??

Comment

yes, I had some in earlier seeded dekalb, with less in the later seeded. However, noticibly less than the neighbours LL. A few LL fields were so bad, you couldn't miss it going 60 mph.

Comment

In area wheat and Canola, Not good not good at all. Depends on Jetstream but dry in USA and a windy spring. WHo knows.

Comment

Had problems in flax as well but not as severe as my canola. Later seeded canola did much better in our area so another option is to seed 1/2 first and 1/2 last. If no aster yellows problem, then it didn't matter but if there is a major problem, half of your crop may have avoided it. Works with frost too, I guess.

Comment

Borderbloke: Did you spray headline on your flax? Noticed the treated was better than un treated same on canola

Comment

According to Drew we will have primary Jet Stream flow
                      out of the North West (From B.C. and Alaska) this
                      spring and summer. If this happens... Aster Yellow is
                      unlikely to be a problem.

Comment

JACK, turned hot and dry here after the first week in July, so didn't bother with the Headline this year. Road the soil reserves all the way to harvest, had maybe one half inch rain at filling.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...