• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

California AG Land

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its infrastructure if it supplies the majority of the people.

Lake diefenbaker was an infrastructure to supply the majority of the province with good drinking water.

The secondary industries like irrigation only benefit a select few, so it should not be considered infrastructure.

BTW, I have no problem with the upper qu'appelle project as long it is fully funded by those that benefit from it. I know the potash companies and the cities will put in their buck so why don't the 200 farmers that the irrigation put up theirs.

The irrigation should be 75 percent subscribed and a deposit made by those wanting water to their quarter line of about 4000 dollars per acre as a water right.

See if there is still interest.
    1 billion dollar project, over 50 percent of the water will go to the irrigators so 500,000,000.00 divided by 110,000 acres equals equals 4545per acre. Less a 10 percent discount for being subscribed early equals the 4000 per acre water right fee. Now they can go spend another 1000 an acre to put up a pivot.

As I have told the principal consultants on this, if this project proceeds then the meridian dam has more value to being built. That helps both alberta and saskatchewan.

Comment

They only way to justify irrigaton in california is to grow high value crops. That land is total garbage. They call them valleys. But really are deserts surrounded by mountains with aquaducts running thru them. They can grow great crops with the wiz from sacramento

Comment

The way I see it; once the government has a dollar, it's as
        good as spent. They might as well spend it in your back yard.
        Applying rates of return to govt is a fools game. It sounds
        like what you want is accountability. Can't comment on
        specific projects. Can't even say what the correct method is.
        But if you're wasting water and heat units you should be
        held accountable. If you don't convert your real assets to the
        highest end use, someone else will.

Comment

blackpowder

Good points, but the others that will convert the assets to the highest end use maybe will have the pocketbook to do it.

The problem with all of this stems from the fact it could have been done 40 years ago but the same problem exists then and now. The benefactors see they can't afford to do it. So they ask the taxpayers.

If i want to farm 20000 acres ( I don't BTW) and hire 4 guys to work, I don't get a blank cheque from the government to do so.

These guys want to irrigate, but they don't want to risk their existing business to do so, so they go begging to the government. That is the smell test for me. If you can't afford it on your own, don't ask the government to do it for you, unless its a 1 in 1000 year disaster.

BTW. I have a pretty good idea what it takes to irrigate and I really don't know why these guys want to do it with todays reasonable returns on dryland.

Comment

Thirsty amerikie is lookin Nort, fer
            water. Albertie wit its lust fer
            pipelines'll supply her. amerikins are
            our best customers, after water and
            bitumen in that order. F'k it wes open
            fer business, sell whatever we got ta hell
            wit the next generation after all theys
            gonna inherit our fat bank accounts
            anyways, write?

Comment

In a way I agree with you burbert.

I live not to from the south saskatchewan river and more water has been wasted/flowed through in the last 5 years than this province could use in 20 years.

I do believe in creating reservoirs, filling them and making the best use of the water. If selling is an option, good, but don't give it away.

Comment

By the way...

This was about covering 570,000 ac of good flat Ag
                land with solar panels... in case you missed it.

I guess we can build greenhouses and grow the
                produce for them! That would be really green
                especially when it is 40 below... in Alberta!

Comment

I hear you Tom. The insane are running
                  the asylum. And as you know Cali. is the
                  prototype for the rest of us. I don't
                  think they are broke enough yet.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...