• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spring run-off??

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spring run-off??

Are there any spring run-off models out yet? I know some areas around here may be high depending on March snowfall and speed of melt when it does start.

With all the ditching and draining that has gone on over the last 50 years, there will be flooding almost every spring from now on.

Comment

Well grrr get out of the low spots.

Comment

grrrr
        Know exactly what you are talking about. Have
        two quarters that thanks to my neighbor, I can
        be sure to lose anywhere between 20 and 30
        acres per quarter with any amount of snow. That
        is just the one area of the field. In the 70's and
        80's might of lost 5 acres with any amount of
        snow in that same one area.

Comment

The landowners around Lampman can tell you
          about this problem.

Comment

Proper drainage ditches should have been implemented years ago. Saskatchewan is flat with valleys. Some very good land would have been put into production if this was in place years ago.
            Other parts of the world have Drainage why cant we!

Comment

Yes too many ducks unlimited greenies around.

Comment

Too many down streamers blocking initiatives who wont take the hint that their buffalo prairie ideas should be flushed to the oceans.

Comment

With this last snowfall to hit the area those idiots inside the floodway that want their million dollar homes to have a water front view are just a few warm days away from getting an even closer veiw.

Comment

Our land would be worthless without the drainage, our creek and C&D ditches are registered and we pay into them to cover any downstream costs and am sure if there are any problems a person can file for compensation. A farm my size should do 7 to 10 days of ditch maintenance per year in my area sometimes a lot of times end up helping moving a nieghbours water but is the way it goes. Not sure what to say for the areas that cannot co operate. Maybe soon you will be bought out by the corporate investors for nothing and then it will get done then. Gee guys why fight about it.

Comment

Wetlands don't cause flooding. Drainage causes flooding.

Comment

Drainage could and supposed to control flooding. I thought drainage controlled the flooding. hmmmm

Comment

grr, a few years ago we had one serious spring rain rain rain, drainage ditches started running when the snow melted and did not stop, even after freeze up in late fall there was still water running. My dad could not remember a year we had so much rain, but in the 50's there was a a couple years where they had a lot of rain. In fact there was a couple years there was not hardly a crop planted. At least that year we planted around the sloughs and running water then all the little wedges in between. Not sure where your coming from with wetlands don't cause floading wetlands are not farm land.

Comment

Exactly. Wetlands are not farmland. But many think they should be farmland. That's what starts the fights. People are ready to shoot each other over drainage. One gains while another loses. A wetland that has been around since the last ice age gets drained and everyone downstream has to deal with the extra water. Yes there are areas that would not be farmable without drainage. I get that. But the water doesn't magically "disappear". It has to go somewhere. Look at what is happening to Lake Winnipeg. How long can we continue to ruin one of the planets largest freshwater lakes without nature coming back to bite us. Remember, nature always holds the trump card.

Comment

Lake winnipeg is there cause of runoff, why would we ruin it with more runoff?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...