• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saftey tip for Liquid Nitrogen

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saftey tip for Liquid Nitrogen

Liquid nitrogen splash puts Keystone Agricultural Producers president in hospital
    Posted May. 29, 2013 by

Allan Dawson

Keystone Agricultural Producers president Doug Chorney got a crash course in farm safety this spring after a seemingly benign splash of liquid nitrogen landed him in hospital with severe dehydration.

The Selkirk-area farmer was decoupling a pressurized hose May 15 when he was sprayed with liquid nitrogen. Sunglasses protected his eyes and he washed it off his hands and face, but he didn’t bother to change his clothes or shower.

Chorney was well aware of the dangers of anhydrous ammonia, which burns skin on contact. But while liquid nitrogen doesn’t irritate the skin, it draws moisture from the body, which can result in serious illness.

By noon the next day Chorney said he was almost delirious and “sweating buckets.” After changing a flat fire on his air seeder he returned to his tractor cab and cranked up the air conditioning.

Chorney said he quit seeding at 7 p.m. but had no appetite, and had to be helped to bed by his wife Michelle, who is a nurse.

“Then she took my temperature and said ‘holy… this is not good, we better take you to the hospital,’” he said.

When he arrived at Selkirk General, Chorney had a fever of 39.3 C, a heart rate of 135 beats per second, very low blood pressure and severe diarrhea. Repeated blood tests, a urine test and X-ray revealed no signs of infection.

“These two doctors were just dumbfounded as to why I had this runaway fever and no way to treat it,” Chorney said.

“They were running IVs in me wide open as fast as it would flow for two full litres and then they slowed it down.”

Chorney was also prescribed powerful antibiotics. Instead of worrying about delayed seeding, he worried he might never seed again.

Chorney left the hospital the morning of May 17, but was in bed at home until Saturday night, having still eaten almost no solid food. But by May 19, he was feeling better and returned to seeding. By May 20 he felt normal again.

After leaving the hospital, Chorney said his fertilizer suppliers told him his sudden illness was caused by exposure to liquid nitrogen, which like other forms of the nutrient, draws moisture, including from human bodies.

Chorney suspects he might also have been low on fluids because of the spring rush. Now he carries a cooler of Gatorade and water in his tractor.

“It took me two full days to recover,” Chorney said. “You just don’t rehydrate yourself by having seven glasses of water.

“The key message we’d like to get out to producers is first of all avoid getting spilled on, but if you do have an accident, get to water as fast as you can,” Chorney said May 22 while seeding at his East Selkirk farm.

“It’s critical not to just change clothes (after being exposed) but to get it out of your hair and off your body.”

Chorney said he’s thinking a lot more about safety now.

“Nobody ever plans to do these things to themselves,” he said. “It’s always a split-second mistake.

“You can get into a mad frenzy, rush too much and this is when these things can happen.”

I've worked with liquid N for years and never knew this. I've never been soaked with the stuff but also didn't think it would be a big deal if it ever happened.

Good to know.

Comment

The story is so poorly written it is impossible to tell if he was splashed with liquid N or anhydrous ammonia. Ammonia makes the most sense under the circumstances but the notion that you could have NH3 in your clothing which would subsequently dehydrate you is just plain silly. My money is on something else being wrong with this dude and his local hospital was too stupid to diagnose the real problem when an evil chemical was available to take the blame. The guy got better on his own - IOW he got lucky this time.

For anyone who is concerned about NH3 splashes there is only one rule that you need to know:

If you get splashed, water is the ONLY treatment. It will hurt like he11 but get wet. I repeat GET WET and get completely wet if you have suffered a serious splash.

There's a reason why there is a horse trough full of water at every NH3 handling facility. Those of you applying NH3 at seeding should get a blue water jug from the camping section at your local hardware and mount it high on a convenient fender. If you get splashed just open the valve and get wet. Did I mention already - water is the only treatment for a splash and it will hurt like he11.

Comment

They're talking about liquid N here not NH3.

Comment

I doubt he was using liquid nitrogen while seeding.

Comment

The Photo in the MB Co-operator showed an NH3 tank. Yes, a poorly written article.

Comment

I'm the last person that should be critical of a persons writing but..
              Bobofthenorth why not liquid n when seeding? There are a number of farmers around here that pull liquid tanks while seeding.

Comment

I think Bob is joking about the -170°C
                type of liquid nitrogen, as opposed to
                the UAN type.

Comment

It absolutely never crossed my mind that they might have been writing about UAN. I've had so many baths in that stuff it never occurred to me. The point of my original post was that:

A) the article was so poorly written as to be useless in terms of information

B) if you do get splashed with NH3 there is only one treatment required and that is a whole lot of water

As far as the notion that getting UAN on your clothing could subsequently lead to dehydration - that one is well past silly and into the realm of stupidity.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...