• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red Wheat

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Wheat

What is a good high yielding red wheat variety?

Not growing Unity anymore with the reclassification.

Need a variety with high protein potential high glute strength and good standability.

Klause,

In CWRS it is hard to beat Utmost in our country...

Stettler is also very good with great straw strength and good gluten as well.

As I indicated above Penhold will take over CPS Red hands down. It has performed dryland VERY well... and has best disease package. M for maturity. Last year close to 100bu/ac on 55lb/ac seeding rate. Really nice kernel colour and VG sprout resistance.

Comment

if seeding 1 bu per acre achieves 100bu that would mean perfect germ and 100 seeds per plant. Though im sure they exist Ive never seen a wheat head with more than 50 kernels.

Comment

Stettler has done well here as well. It will also stand far better than utmost. Last year a lot of utmost was lodged severely and stettler stood excellent with similar yield and protein
        We love car berry and the new AC Brandon looks very good as well.
        But hrsw is a loser on the books compared to other wheats at this time

Comment

My Penhold is still in the field and doesn't look that great, but I hope I'm presently surprised. That's if it ever gets to go for a ride through the combine. Stettler has worked well for us, but it doesn't have the legs of a CPS. Grew some Brandon this year, might be decent, need to try it again next year. Klause you are a long way from my backyard.

Comment

CDC Go has been our favorite for quite some time now. We keep trying new varieties but nothing has beaten GO just yet.
            It always has large seed, short strong straw and is very early maturing. Doesn't shatter if left out a long time and yet thrashes very easy.
            Only thing is the protein is usually a touch lower but yield more than makes up for it.
            We will seed 75% of our wheat acres back to Go next year.

Comment

Crusher,

We rolled the dice and swathed most of ours... then took it damp and tough.. Perhaps we missed some rain you got... (not perhaps...)

Hope we can get on the home stretch now!!!

Comment

CDC Go is rated poor for FHB. Also wheat midge to consider.

Comment

We use Utmost..Stands VG..Yield is VG..Protein is over 13.5% this yr..And NO checking for Midge..NO Fuzz this yr..

Comment

So klause your avg was 100 kernels per head? No one else finds that hard to believe. 8 inch long heads wowser.

Comment

Tom i meant

Comment

So much depends on the area one is farming. Here in the southeast we like more of the US HRS wheat's. Fusarium is an annual issue for us. Glen has worked good, with Brandon acres now going up. There is a few US wheat varieties that wont fit into the regular markets but yields are very high I'm told. Faller, Elgin Prosper are what's out there now.

Comment

Biglentil,

Last years Penhold was seeded about May 10... it tillered and tillered... was a reasonably good stand by the end. 70lb N both early and fusarium fungicides. Had good ground with plenty of pulses in the past 10 years.

Comment

I know CDC Go is rated poor for FHB but we've never had it down graded on account of fuz.
                            We have always sprayed Prosaro on it though.
                            Lots of 65-75 bushel yields and combine at 4mph. No lodging. It's been an awesome variety for us.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...