• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power incidents at the farm

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power incidents at the farm

My name is Andrew, and I am looking to write articles revolving around power safety incidents on farms for a company blog.

I would be very appreciative if anyone here had a story that they could possibly share! If so, I can get in contact with you via phone or email to set up a quick little chat!

Thanks so much.

Jeez I think of all the bad and painful things I've gone through getting glove caught on hydraulic motor shaft and going for a few spins,having scaffolding in the back of a three ton on a later painting the peak of a barn tip over with the legs of the scaffolding catching the box sides saving me from certain death,dropping the end of a very large auger on my balls because I was on ice and both my legs went out from under me the pain was so bad i had a nice little puke,same auger pulling up a hill into a square bin heard a snap in my back and proceeded to shovel out the bin of chickpeas for the custom trucker causing me two years of real real discomfort god knows what all those pills did to my liver,snapped an ankle jumping out of a grain truck because I was in to much of a hurry,etc,etc,then there is the emotional stress but that's the real bad stuff nobody really talks about but power no nothing really comes to mind.

It's almost ten o'clock so you should get to the coffee room quick because all them donunts are about to be long gone.

Any one else got some stories?

Comment

None of those are power related.

But yikes all the same.

Peed on an electric fence as a little kid once, won't do that again. Still hate my older brother for that one.

Comment

Yes power isn't only overhead lines and such. My son almost lost finger shorting out 'EMT' grad ring on battery.

Comment

Ha just thought of a bunch more,we have this old flawed jack all that will do a viscous snap back anyways gramps brother and me where doing something and whap gramps gets it straight in face probably would have floored a normal man but funny part is same thing happened to brother a few weeks later I laughed and laughed and so did gramps but brother tried but he couldn't because his face was so messed up. I always try not to use that jack now.

Come on there's got to be lots of good stories out there.

I'm scared to ask because of the answer but what happened with the old guy and the pretty young guy who where unloading grain and both lost their lives this year?

Comment

Doesn't sound write "pretty young "should be "very young"

Comment

A fellow in the next town lost an arm after being electrocuted when moving a grain auger by hand when it came in contact with a bare overhead line "running through his yard. They say it caused problems with his feet too.

Comment

A few things.....first I think we should take up a collection and buy cotton a new jack. You need to get rid of that one.

The Granfather and Granson that lost their lives unloading grain. They were unloading a hopper bottom grain trailer. Granson went up the ladder to watch the grain flow out of the hopper. Somehow he wound up falling in head first. When Granfather went up to see, the boy was head first under the grain. Granfather grabbed the boys ankles trying to pull him out but couldn't. He wound up under the grain as well. Both suffocated. I find it hard to believe that there is enough grain in one hopper of a grain trailer to take two lives but obviously there is.

In the spring of 2014 we hooked a power pole with our drill. Broke the pole off, it leaned about 10 degrees but stayed there. The power line stayed up. We called the power company, they came and shut off the power, removed the broken pole, we removed our drill and they put a new pole in. We were very lucky the line stayed up.

This spring a young man who had a beautiful wife and two lovely daughters was killed when his sprayer boom contacted the overhead power line. With the sprayer still contacting the line he got out of the machine and was electrocuted when he touched the ground and the machine at the same time.

I hope everyone knows that if you contact a power line you need to stay in your vehicle. If you can just keep driving till your clear of the line.

I feel a bit uncomfortable putting this info on here. Hopefully we can learn from other's and these kinds of needless loss of life can be avoided in the future.

Comment

Oh thank god i thought the old guy may have accidentally killed the young one and then takin his own life not that it makes it less of of a tragedy just maybe more bearable to their kin.

Comment

Hf I think your right after rethinking it it is public and I shouldn't maybe have brought it up.

Comment

No names were used. As unfortunate as these instances were something can be learned from them!!! That's why its important to talk about them, hopefully so it NEVER happens again.

Comment

WATCH.

LISTEN.

PLAN for a Safe workplace.

Don't expose yourself to a public debate on private matters.

WARNING. IF YOU DO... The Interweb never goes away. Could cost you $$$ big time.

WARNING...if you think you are anonymous. Legal proceedings will soon prove that a hoax.

Comment

Andrew.
                          Write me with the details of who your writing for I'll tell you a story where it's lucky no one was hurt.
                          ggust@wheatgrowers.ca

Comment

This is not an incident but lately inspectors threaten to turn off the power because aeration fans are being run by cords stretched above ground from power source. Has there ever been an electrocution due to this practice? Gotta say we had heavy cords all over the place at the seed plant, summer and winter running drags, aeration, heaters. Guess we were just plain lucky. Why were we so dum, da rum dum?

Comment

Andrew, if you want, post your email ad.

As posted, my son is an paramedic and almost lost his finger to low voltage power accident.
                              He has many pic's he took during the accident and after, these pic's and his story is used in many oil and Ag companies in their Health and Safety training courses.

He has agreed to share is story with you.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...