• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tough Grain In Bags

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tough Grain In Bags

Was hoping I wouldn't have to worry about this but yesterday's rain has made things more interesting. What is the toughest oats anyone has put into a bag that has kept to be dried? I am hoping to get the rest of my oats off and bag until it can be dried over the next couple of months.

Not trying to be smart, but how does that work, economically?
    That being, to bag a voluminous crop like oats, then un bag it. Hoping of course there isn't the additional costs of moving snow, or rutting fields if muddy and not frozen. Trucking it some where to dry, the costs of gas, plus labour to watch over the dryer. Then re bin it, unless you have the good fortune to be able to deliver straight from the dryer or have it picked up. After all that, could it possibly make milling? I'd be surprised. Do you have access to high end feed market? Could you feed it all yourself? Can you blend with what you've harvested already? Tough economics.
    I realize too, if you had a good crop and have a fair bit binned already, you may not be in a CI claim position.
    Could it be grazed in the field, shame to have all those costs on a low value crop.
    Good luck.

Comment

I think what he is getting at is its better in the bag than in the swath under the snow. It would be probably be fine for a couple months under 18% but woundnt want to leave it much longer than that.

Comment

16% on oats they should be fine till Feb March. Over 16 it gets tougher to extract. Standing they dry faster then canola in swath

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...