• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Farmers Against Power Poles

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

grefer. When they plowed our powerlines in they only went as far as our yard, no one else is on this "loop". A little more than a mile and a half off the three phase. We have basically no trouble other than when the three phase goes off.

Come to think of it I'm luckier than I first thought. They would have had to bore both the highway and the railway tracks to service just us with this line burial!!!

Comment

So where's SARM on this one in general and in particular the strategically placement of just in off the roadway nightmare, which was told you could PAY quite handsomely if you wanted them moved.

Comment

True story on a parcel of land i own.Overhead power to old abandoned yard. Previous owner many years ago set 6 new 2000 steel bins near this line and cried to Sask Power and they buried almost half mile for him because of bin hazard.Still one of the few underground lines in area.
        I grew up an hour away from here and the homestead got power in 1959. Most of this line is still there with original posts and wire.

Comment

Sask power has a massive liability risk. They have randomly placed structures on there right of ways and know of the increasing evening traffic around these structures. Vary dangerous, they should install reflectors ASAP.

Comment

As I understand it and can recollect, the power lines were place away from the roadways because of safety concerns, many people were getting hurt when hit them with cars and when there was a pole problem from collision or lightning, live lines would fall onto roadway increasing the risk of electrocution. Today roads in general are much better, more gravel, we have better cars and tires that keep use all around safer. Many of you have never driven a rear wheel drive 1/2 ton on Coop milemaker Bias ply tires on roads with no gravel
            Telephone lines were put on the edge of roadways for couple reasons, they had to be accessible to linemen in adverse weather (no snow machines in those days) as there were many line problems. They also felt the risk was lower as telephone lines didn't carry high voltage and was less dangerous if the fell on roadway.

The telephone lines were put underground because the cost of line maintenance was getting too high and telephone lines were not typically as high as power and as equipment go bigger every roadway and approach would have t be raised.

We do have a serious problem do to the aging of the infrastructure. I am glad we didn't pay to change structure 10 to 15 years ago, we would have paid to run power into a lot of yards that are now vacant. like we did with telephone, gas and water. How do we recoup those costs once vacated, how do we justify paying to run 10 or 15 miles of underground wire to serve 1 customer who may or may not be there in ten years?

Comment

The program to bury lines(single phase) was going on for a year or two. When the oil boom hit, that was the end of the program here. At least they removed the ones in the field. We have now 3 times as many poles as ever, three phase everywhere, but at least they're on the road allowance(but of course to the very outer edge, next to the property line. Safety first, well for road vehicles anyway, no worries placing them next to farm land. BTW, eff you, if you've been farming the road allowance since the land was broke.

Comment

Wmoebis

I agree.

But some of those old yards have potential with power for people wanting this rural lifestyle.

You could also look at it as an investment in the future of rural saskatchewan.

Comment

You need to try Hydro One. I don't believe there is a single line buried in rural Ontario that wasn't done by a private contractor paid by the landowner. I've never actually seen a hydro crew burying a line. They have no trouble charging you $5000 a pole to get a line to your meter though.

Comment

The longer it takes the more it costs to maintain the existing pole line, the more it costs the farmer and general economy. I wouldn't be against say a 100 dollar a per pole burial fee payed by the landowner if it meant it would happen quick. It would eliminate the chaff just like a 50 dollar doctors visit fee would.

Comment

Sorry to change subject, but, wife is a nurse, she claims a $5.00 fee would remover the chaff because that is what the chaff spends on pop and chips from vending machine in the waiting room/emergency wait room.

Comment

I believe it half are there hopping to get more narcotic pain meds from there dealer woops i mean doctor.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...