• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Back to simple ?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with caseih, i think there's room in the industry for simple basic machinery that actually works! Tractors 2or3 years old shouldn't be breaking down, but its happening all the time, this past week there was 3 in a 10 mile radius sitting for 2-4 days all electronic issues, 2 with def fluid issues and not sure of third. do we really need variable rate seeders? i've had more trouble in 4 years with my 8010 combine than i had with 2 1688's in 16 years.

Comment

my deep freeze is as old as me 1958,
      works great.
      i am rooting for it, as it might be a bad omen for me ,if it were to quit.
      and i do not care that it may not be energy efficient. i assume that inefficiency ends up as heat.
      and 10 out of twelve months that's what is needed.

luckily the filter/regen in the semi
      and the computer in the combine have caused little trouble.
      but they still scare the hell out of me.

Comment

bw , not what I'm talkin about . we have all the fancy shit also , and I can run it ! what I'm talking about is a day or two lost seeding cause tractor won't talk to computer and an 1100 service bill to clear codes from a dealer 50 miles away . I don't need that shit and could care less if my tractor can't relate to its computer . and look at variable rate fert , I can count the guys on one hand around here that use it , millions dollars wasted . as tweety says I do need that stuff in my sprayer and that is all

Comment

I am old enough to have learned on the most basic equipment, hell I even cleaned barn with a stoneboat and horse. Now what would be the chore tractor has a variable rate transmission and a myriad of settings for it and other "functions" the damn thing is "capable" of. I don't even use all it's functions to their greatest potential.

I have seen great changes in technology, and I'm not that old. The learning curve was/is steep for me, it never came easy to me and I find it
          challenging. In an annoying way...

You have to wonder what the future holds for tech yet.....I know, just look in the "science fiction" places.....seems whatever man can think of he can somehow turn into reality. Somewhat scary!

Comment

Some of this new equipment may not have as long a life thats for sure. At least the emmisions are starting to get bypassed to save some money fixing that part. I hate figuring out every monitor again after a winters break.

Comment

yea me too , too stupid to write stuff down , lol

Comment

.....and I thought I was the only one. By seaaon 3 or 4 it gets easier.

Comment

Where is the efficiency? People in Saskatchewan buying Argon windows to keep the heat out and expensive light bulbs that don't give off decent light, are full of Mercury and get so damn hot that they melt your receptacles. Myself, I welcome the recirculating heat from the fridge and freezer almost all year. My computer keeps my office toasty warm. Just give me an on-off switch and a knob that controls volume and heat and I'm happy. JD tractor I can't run the radio. Who needs that?

Comment

Hobby, you would be so proud - my latest tractor purchase was a 1968 135 Massey Ferguson tractor. Handy for cutting ditches, running an auger, tilling the garden, maybe even pulling an empty grain wagon!

Best of all, with its complete lack of the electronic gadgetry that my New Hollands depend on, it will continue to run when EMP hits...

If you have all the crops off, you will have time to find and read the book "One Second After" by William R. Forstchen. I'm looking forward to reading the sequel, One Year After.

Or if you are still harvesting you could buy the audio book and listen as you run up and down that field. Of course, it could get scary if your engine sputters - you will be hoping that it isn't EMP. lol.

If you have doubts about the peril of our electronic dependency, look up www.empcommission.org.

Back to simple might become the order of the day, not just a whimsical dream...

Comment

If the lights go out they ain't ever coming back on.

Kind of a big economic drag for people who now have to always continually replace stuff. Especially vehicles.

Comment

burnt, that's my other point . these sprayers will not spray w/o gps .

Comment

Good topic.
                          Funny doing some clean up for the estate and found older Disc grinders drills saws etc all solid metal. Then found the new fancy ones. Take the oldest plug in all work can drop on floor throw across room or drop from the roof all work. New one in box opened and plugged in F%^Ked.
                          Just saying. a Deere 4020 power shift is a way better tractor then my 7330.
                          Put a new style cab on the old girl and their you have something.

Comment

Kinda kickin my but we did not go to that Kramer sale . Those low hr 9370's are virtually non existent . Coulda replaced the ole 9270 with 8500 hrs and had a new tractor for anouther 10 years

Comment

Meanwhile, I, too, am rooting for Sawfly's 57 year old deep freeze. And also, for samhill's 59 year old icebox! That's got to be some sort of record.

Oh my goodness, you don't want our new gov't to find out about it or it will surely be hit with some carbon tax for its inefficiency...

LOL!

Comment

Don't move the deep freezers. We had one that got pretty old but not as old as these you're talking about. It was about 45 years old.

Calculate the carbon footprint in materials, manufacturing and transporting the numerous new ones(that fail every seven years) needed today's replace the old relics that lasted "decades".

Built to fail in a disposable/throw away society...

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...