• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Back to simple ?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back to simple ?

was sitting here thinking about all these junk appliances in our house that are 3-5 yrs old and most have quit working already ? our old deep freeze we bought in 79 still purring right along . we threw out a fridge still working a few years back that was bought in 79 also. Sears informed me that a new fridge is only designed to last for 7 years , so trouble at 3 years is quite ok . isn't that great for the landfills as well ???
    and it got me to thinking what a big opportunity there is for a farm equipment manufacturer to go back to manufacturing equip that is simple . 90% of this high tech shit on machinery never gets used anyways . there is a big hole in the market in this area and whoever fills it is going to be along ways ahead of the CNH's, JD's , Agco's , etc. I recently looked at kramer sale (marling) and saw a 1998 9370 Caseih 4wd tractor sell for $107500!! and a 1996 9350 caseih sell for $105000!! there is a reason people are paying these kinds of prices for this old equipment , it's because they are tired of paying $130/hr , plus mileage , plus shop supplies , plus 33% exchange to keep this new shit running , its a joke ! I don't buy the argument that emissions control laws won't let things be simple , that's just bullshit , it's got nothing to do with that . I think I heard versatile has already built a combine that will combine without a computer ! imagine that ! and a sprayer that you can spray with if all the sats go down ? anyone ever thought of that ?

But, but, but..... you mean not knowing the yeild and moisture on the fly doesnt mean shit? Or hair splitting prescription mapping capabilities aren't necessary? Or JD's data collection serves the machine "user" no valuable service?

And all this time....

What we have is convenience not necessity(but I sure like my technologically advanced sprayer), makes spraying a job almost anyone can do but not fix the sprayer.

Comment

Have been complaining about my jd 4wd since spring.

Says the air filter is plugged. They are changing ecu and some sensors. And adding shit to the intake.

It needs better air filter capacity. In other words a round steel canister like my combines and 9300 used to have.

Plastic shit components that break down in the sun.

Comment

Drives me bonkers. Consumer getting hammered

Comment

Exactly Caseih, well said.

Won't be parting with our old case/Caseih tractors any time soon.

Also know what your talking about with appliances. Had a couple year old Maytag washer take out a set of bearings and a seal.....couldn't get any parts from Maytag or their maintenance contractors.
          $40, trip to Bearing& Transmission, fixed.

Comment

My biggest goal is to get the crop in the bin, seed in the ground, pesticides applied, not sit on the edge of the field ****ing with technology. In other words get the job done!

Better start reading the manuals in the winter when you have more time, not when time is of the essence in season!!!

Dealer support is nice, but what happens when you buy that "deal" at auction or where ever...?

Comment

That is so true caseih. Our farm trucks are a 81 chevy, 2000 ford, and just purchased new dodge. The old 81 chevy sits all winter. Put battery in at spring time and off it goes. No IDIOT lights telling me tires are low, some vac not working, fuel cap not on nice, nothing. Must admit though, not a safe truck if you have to work under the hood, you drop a wrench and it will fall to the ground and cold hit your toes. LOL. Was told any newer electric motors with this more EFFICIENT power saving is what shortens motor life. Especially true for aeration fans, too much draw on them is a bastard for life span. Be careful how many you are running at once.

Comment

Mom and Dad bought a Marquette Magicmatic big ass deep freeze in 1956. Best running cold machinery on the farm, use it every day, never had a technician even know about it.

Comment

I guess I don't run new enough equipment to sympathize completely. But I'll happily diagnose, fix or bypass electronics any day compared to the big expensive repairs that have no bypass.

By that I mean the stuff that breaks down regularly and has to be fixed right. My next tractor will have steel wheels, air cooled and crank start. Those are the most common, most expensive repairs on this farm. Can't hotwire a flat tire,or run without a water pump, or start a hydrostatic machine with no starter or dead battery. Plus GPS and all the other bells and whistles that make life easier, but can still run without

Comment

I run old massey tractors. Pay cash for them. Fuel gague , temperature gague, some dummy lights for trans oil pressure. Air ride seats, a/c, a/fm radio, autosteer. The only thing I am missing is the $17,00 "biannual payments".
                    My place looks like a welfare operation but I'm cool with that.
                    Yesterday I was heavy harrowing, had a flat on the harrows. I had to borrow a jack from the neighbor. He was using a 930 case and crazy harrows. Steel wheels. He did more yesterday than me!
                    Its all perspective . The race is with yourself.

Comment

But i like the computer in my autosteer. Auto boom. Auto height. I wanna keep those.

With that said, a chain turning a seed roller vs a satellite connected GPS Rx mapped electro hydraulic canbus equipped cpu turning a meter roller.

At least its available for those that want it.

Comment

We have driven Jeeps since 1980, trading every couple of years, not a problem, dependable, worry-free. This year test drove new Grand Cherokee for a week. Unbelievable, not gonna be in my garage. Way too much gadgetry, screaming at you constantly, really a pain. Talk about distracted driving! We have talked to Jeep owners who refuse to buy the new vehicles also, just keep the old one maintained. I know why.

Comment

I sure won't be going back to the Ox and plow. You just have to get with the times or you will be so far behind with technology that you wont ever figure it out. It all about being efficient now days.

Comment

Can anyone under the age of 30 cultivate, harrow or seed if their gps goes out?

Comment

they might have to some day

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...