• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

24 crops and the weather won.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24 crops and the weather won.

Well. We got a pile of rain and several inches of wet snow yesterday.

I am in a position that if I do not get the rest, it will be tough to keep going.

It looks like it will melt, but I am not certain it will dry.

I have been beaten down with too many wet years for too long. It is hard to build much of a cushion in those circumstances.

Not sure how this is going to go down for us. I felt fairly confident that we would get the crop. Not so much any more.

It ain't all peaches and cream in grain farming.

Here's to a glorious November! I will get the beans, but the canola is the worry.

Just saying what is on my mind right now. Don't take this as a beg for mercy or for sympathy, that is NOT what I am after. You folks are my friends, and I gotta talk to someone.

What a fickle way to make a living. Going out to feed the sheep. I only wish I had 500 of the little buggers...

Same boat here. And lots if guys too.

Comment

To quote Yogi Berra, "aint over till it's over "

I have harvested flax in December and in March. Not the best, but more than one year go to the flax field at midnight when it was cold enough to thresh.

Now, I am in the RRV, more than a little different.

Comment

Better to say whats on your mind and relieve the stress and pressure than keep it bottled up and blow up.

Best of luck to you freewheat. I hope there are two weeks of decent weather in Nov to get that crop off!!! I'm rootin for you!

Comment

you've heard it before , but in 09 , on nov.1 we had 1300 ac of canary , standing and swathed , oats swathed , flax standing , canola swathed and some standing wheat . we bought a second 2388 and by nov 14 we were done and got a lot of it dry . we had had about a foot of snow prior to nov . I think everyone got done that year , even the guys stretching their combines on too many ac . a class 8 here is rated for 1500 ac , anymore than that and you are pushin your luck and or losing quality . good luck and I really hope you get it off . it's the shits when you catch every bit of moisture that passes within a hundred miles . don't matter how many combines you have when that happens . we sure know how you feel

Comment

In my travels I see a few fields here and there not yet harvested. This sounds like a bigger area than odd fields.
            What areas are affected and how big?

Comment

Freewheat

Agristabilty and agri invest should pull you thru freewheat.

Oh wait you have been on a decline because of the weather for 5 years.

The law of diminishing returns don't work for those programs.

There should be a local bto willing and waiting to use your acres to work the programs properly as that is what they were designed for.

November may surprise you.

Comment

Yup, the famous 2009. Same thing here. 2004 we had a big dump of snow on swathed oats. Combined them in November, remembrance day in fact.

I hope Dave Philips FINALLY gets this one right! lol

To answer how big an area this is. In all honesty, most guys here are done, but I am not most guys I guess. If it were not for their dryers, they would be in tough too. Not many have taken much off dry around here this year...

I hope it melts, gets warm for a bit, then COLD AND NO SNOW. That should help!

Comment

stay positive! Can you rent a drier or bins with air? Good Luck Freewheat!

Comment

That really sucks but hang in there! I would keep my eyes open for an older batch drier like a Moridge, you would be surprised how cheap you can buy them (several hundred dollars) and how well they actually work. They can definitely help when you need to get tough grain off.

Comment

24 different crops? thats alot

Comment

I think he means 24 crop years.

Don't feel bad freewheat that's a career for many people.

Comment

Freewheat, driers and air and all that work if you can actually harvest the crop.

First thing, talk to your creditors re the situation. Don't wait till it's late in and you need help. Explain how you continue to be an "overcomer". You're an innovator. You're frugal. You have a passion for what you do. Show them your financial affairs and talk contingencies. Being proactive with anyone you do business with will stand you in good stead.

Good luck. Hope you get it though.

Comment

Freewheat

One thing is for sure. I am rooting for you to get done.

You are certainly a resilient fellow.

Comment

Dont worry to much in less then 24 months you will be the richest guy you know.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...