• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heated Caniola

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big lentil has a point. One 3000 bushel heated bin is $30,000. 10% of that value buys an aeration fan.
    I have a neighbor that every couple of years he has a pile of wheat or barley heat and rot. They just let the pile sit there and gett smaller over the years and they farm around them. They have a front end loader to spread out the mess but coffee is more important.
    Gossip on the street is a big farming neighbor lost a big bin if canola. It got so hot the bin bolts popped. I dont really understand why that would happen so I think its BS.
    We never had aeration before I started farming. Everytime I bought aeration and/or hopper cones I could never afford it. Now, I think is was the best money I ever borrowed.

Comment

Agree, fan/cables in every bin, aerate a few nights after combining, start cooling soon to get near zero. Never lost a bin in 33 years, even before cables. If carried into summer we always warm the bin in May. Very cold canola can spoil on the bottom of bin when warming.

Comment

One other thing to watch is proper assessment of heated.

Saw a sample assessed at 3% heated when it wasn't heated at all, it was damaged. Graded it Sample when it should have been No1.

Elevators are going to be gun shy now and may over assess.

Comment

Just how big are these bins that are heating? Trouble nowdays is two three big combines can fill a five thousand bushel bin in no time. When the entire bin is put in at thirty celsius or higher in an afternoon, I can see where trouble will start. And five thousand is a small bin nowdays.

Comment

Lost a bin last year and still feel sick about, and I am not talking 3% heated lol. If you have enough canola 3% should be easily blendable.

We put in an Opi system that monitors the bins and had an interesting scare this fall. I had a 25000 bushel bin that we had almost emptied in the spring, the sweep was about 1/3 of the way around so prob 3000 bushels left. The bin had not given us trouble all year the moisture was high 9's low 10's but given how much we had pulled out I wasn't worried. We put the system in this summer and all was well. I am set to get alerts at 32 and I got an alert on this bin (it was our first alert) and I thought things weren't working as the bin was practically empty. But it had started to heat and we caught just in time. There was only 2 cables left in canola and not many sensors were actually in canola so some would have gotten pretty warm by the time sensor picked it up. (I am going to lower my temp from 32 as that is too high). I did a crush as we moved it all right away and fortunately I only got 2 heated canola ( that were kind of on the fence ) out of 4 crushes and I took sample to the elevator and they were fine with it. Canola is unstable. Haul it to the elevator as soon as you can.

Comment

If left long enough 32C will oxidize the canola seed. Ok for a short time if it's good and dry and mature.It comes off the field that temperature often.
              Anything above 30C for an extended time could cause damage. Of course if canola is 30C in the bin there is only one way the temp is going to go. HIGHER!

Comment

you are getting scottish weather, so you need a scottish approach, ie put it on a drying floor or through a drier down to 8%

Comment

Turning bins today and found a few warm spots. Nothing major but it could of been big trouble.

Comment

I have moisture and temp cables on every bin, and a fan on every bin too. Best investment you can make. All my grains have been cooled down to 10 degrees, will gradually take them down to freezing over next few weeks.

Comment

I have to ask! At these prices and delivery opportunities why are farmers still storing?
                      Elevators not taking delivery or waiting for higher prices?

Comment

My local elevator is booked on Canola until Jan. I moved some off combine. I have moved half my wheat already. They moved my Jan contract already.

Comment

Mbgrower, is your canola tuff? If mine is under 9 moisture, i take it down to 12-15c, then the fans are shut off for good. Never have had a problem, but maybe i have been lucky.

Comment

yew freeze all our bins every year , kills critters also if there ever is any . another real advantage of air bins

Comment

Agchat, canola was 6 to 9% moisture. Did some straight combining, you have to be careful with that stuff. Although it tests dry, there are still some high moisture seeds in the sample. Take it down below freezing and your grain shud be safe till next summer. But i still check the bins all the time.

Comment

Do you think hauling in a load out of every bin every couple of weeks is good insurance? I don't think aeration will get through 10 or 15000 bushel bins of Canola nor Flax.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...