• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rain

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are putting cows on an awesome regrowth of Italian ryegrass/sweet clover tomorrow Braveheart. Can't believe how much quality there is growing this late in the season. We took 8 t/acre silage off it in July. I like crops that we can have growing for 180 days like this, keeping the ground covered and the soil bugs fed.

Comment

I wish I would have seeded winter wheat and radish this year with the long fall.

Could have worked out great.

Comment

Grassfarmer, I agree. Welcome to MB. It can be GREAT cattle country especially with the right management..

Comment

So Bucket, even with your weather you had roots that length? Wow. So, my next question is, if we promote cover crops more, is there now an opportunity for seed production? A different revenue stream? Not dependent on rail?

Comment

So Bucket, even with your weather you had roots that length? Wow. So, my next question is, if we promote cover crops more, is there now an opportunity for seed production? A different revenue stream? Not dependent on rail?

Comment

Braveheart

For sure. Should work to rejuvenate soils after the moisture guys have had.

Comment

Yes. Now we're back to the rain. Farmaholic is just getting replenished but Freewheat has too much. But with Freewheat's excess moisture, and livestock on their farm, my thinking is that in the future, radish and other like strategies would help farmers in Freewheat's situation?

Comment

I don't know how big the future is for cover crops in Western Canada. Most of the grain operations don't have livestock and without animals you can't best utilize the production. As you say Braveheart the Americans are in a different position getting subsidized to grow them for environmental reasons.

Comment

Grassfarmer, yes re the Americans. Grain farming has taken over here, no doubt. I struggle with creating synergies,between grain farmers and those with cattle.

Presently I'm trying to get grain farmers to seed down saline areas to alfalfa/grass and sell the hay. The cover crop/graze idea is a hard sell as the fences have all been torn out. Money talks. But in this case it needs to shout.

Comment

Problem is usually cattle guys want grazing/feed for next to nothing. Doesn't pay grain guys to fence and water.

I seeded green feed with an agreement for sale including price, before seeding. Turned out to be good year with lots of feed around so the guy didn't want to pay agreed price because there was lots around in fall. Not worth the BS.

Comment

Wmoebis, sorry to hear it turned out that way. My principles are to seek the win/win. The person you dealt with has a lot to learn.

Comment

No it was I who had a lot to learn. Lesson learned.

Comment

wmoebis, that kind of problem isn't unique to dealing with ranchers though. Same thing you get dealing with the people who might buy your grain - need for contracts, due diligence etc.
                            From the cattleman's perspective I've always found it hard to get grain guys interested in what might be mutually beneficial arrangements. Funnily enough I had more success on this front dealing with my Hutterite neighbours in Alberta than anyone else I've tried.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...