• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

flax

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

flax

Need some advice. Have standing flax that is still too high moisture. 18-20% Should I swath and leave for winter or leave stand, what gives the least loss.

I would leave it stand unless there is big dump of snow coming. I have done both, and neither was very good. Swathed weathered worse, standing went flat and was a real joy in the spring to combine. If you typically get a lot of snow, I would cut. If not, I would let stand.

Again, for right now, I would leave it stand, and combine it as cold as you can.

Actually, if I were you, and it went through the combine, I would take it as is and dry it.

Comment

drys real easy. if possible combine it

Comment

My neighbours left flax out in a swath a few years ago and combined it in the spring. By the time the mice and weather were done with it they didn't much out of it. They said the oil content was washed out through the winter spring and was virtually unsalable. I agree with leave it stand and if it will go through the combine get it done and dry it.

Comment

If that damned humidity would come down for once, bring the moisture of the grain and straw down to something at least manageable. Hard to believe we've been given the weather we have. Nov 14 and the ground is only really starting to freeze and no snow on the ground yet. Maybe just maybe, the cruel bitch will keep the window open a little longer.

Comment

Second question. At 18 to 20% will it behave in a aeration bin for a few days, 2 weeks? Have to locate a drier. And thanks to those who have replied.

Comment

I have no experience with flax that tough (damp). That is really bad. I bet it should be turned to keep it from "setting up" or bridging.

Comment

I had the same situation last week with my flax. Feeling panicky, I spoke to a fellow seed grower who has a lot of experienced with flax. His quick answer was that aeration is NOT effective at all to dry flax. If it goes in at 18-20%, you are looking for a wreck to happen. He claimed that the way flax lays in the bin, the seeds stacking flat on each other makes it hard to push any real amount of air through. He also went on to say that it won't drop at all by aeration like canola or cereals will eventually.
                Hope that helps. I truly feel your anxiety as I just went through this. Sometimes, the best thing to do is to sit still and do nothing until the time is right. Wishing you warm, dry weather with no breakdowns...
                Patrick

Comment

RD

Question,

Is it actually 18-20... or is that flax actually 13 percent moisture?

Our Combines were reading 18-21 percent... but when we did a truck sample at the 914 and infrared at Viterra... it was actually 12.5 moisture.

We put some of it on a full floor aeration 3000bu 19' bin with 5hp fan... in a week it dried the flax down in the binbottom to 9.2 moisture [without added heat] ...when we hauled it out on Thursday. Our guys buying it are drying it for shipment next month.

Hard to believe the flax is still 18-20!

Comment

years ago we had no drier combined flax at 16-17 , last day before winter . ran fan at -40 , it was dry when we took it out to dry in a couple weeks . just get it off if you can , it drys good veryeasy to dry. dont need canola screens

Comment

i cant believe you guys farm without driers

Comment

Hey Tom, yes , done on 919 tester. No flat bottoms left. Will put in hoppers and try and locate a drier. Hedge, west side sask. very seldom has drying problems hence few driers here.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...