• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Farm Safety Legislation

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farm Safety Legislation

Did Alberta pass legislation today regarding farm safety?

http://globalnews.ca/news/2345392/alberta-redrawing-rules-to-include-farms-ranches-in-workplace-legislation/?hootPostID=8b5e83e50550bc729c3bca5390fa9a39

Comment

I hope it is just window dressing for the urban majority. Otherwise get ready to be hungry.

Comment

AFA studying new plans for WCB and OHS, urges producers to learn more and share their views

Alberta Federation of Agriculture News Release.

Lacombe, AB (November 17, 2015) – The Government of Alberta today unveiled plans to bring agriculture under OHS legislation and WCB regulation. After analyzing the proposal, Alberta’s largest producer-funded general farm organization believes some changes were needed, but that more consultation and communication are essential.

The announcement was made by Agriculture and Forestry Minister Oneil Carlier and Lori Sigurdson, Minister of Jobs, Skills, Training and Labour on a farm near Gibbons, Alberta.

Two significant changes to Alberta’s farm labour and safety legislation have been proposed. First, WCB coverage will be mandatory for farm workers, as of January 1, 2016. The same day, agriculture’s long-standing exemption from provisions of the Occupational Health and Safety Act will end. Among other things, farm fatalities and serious accidents would be subject to investigation. Additionally, it is proposed that agriculture’s exemption under Employment Standards and Labour Relations legislation be removed.

According to AFA President Lynn Jacobson, the proposed changes will affect all Alberta farm producers and will mean a significant learning curve over the next six weeks.

“Our position is that WCB is a valuable risk management tool that provides protection over and above anything else currently available for farm workers and farm owners,” says Jacobson. “On the OHS side, we need to understand the implications of new technical requirements to which farmers will be subject. The relationship between WCB, OHS and farm safety also needs study. We’d like to see a gradual implementation of the OHS changes, supported by extensive producer education and awareness.”

AFA believes the simultaneous introduction of changes to WCB, OHS, Employment Standards and Labour Relations will create consternation among Alberta farm producers. A recent AFA survey found that producers are not generally knowledgeable about these pieces of legislation. AFA urges all Alberta farm producers to seek out information on these changes, and participate in the consultative process outlined by the Government of Alberta.

Says Jacobson: “AFA welcomes the government's plan for a clear, defined consultative process. We encourage all producers to attend the town hall meeting being held in their area.”

Alberta farm producers can also find out more by visiting www.work.alberta.ca/farmandranch.

Alberta Federation of Agriculture is Alberta's largest producer-funded general farm organization. Whenever decisions are being made that affect the province's agricultural industry, we're there, providing an effective voice for Alberta's farmers. For more information on AFA, please visit our website at: www.afaonline.ca.

Comment

Paper work will drown farmers, I wonder if OHS will help farmers as they become Canada's refugees ... We won't be able to start a ****in tractor without a safety meeting first - it will be coming to Sask soon as well

Comment

Will Notley create a new crown corp to enforce these new laws?

Another great job creation project which will over regulate farmers courtesy of the NDP.

Comment

I think Alberta is the only province that is not covered. Maybe some guys from the other provinces can tell us how big of a deal it is to them.

Comment

I don't think mb. has anything like that yet. but i stand to be corrected. Hey you albertans might beat mb. to it! lol

Comment

From my understanding Alberta was the only or one of the only provinces that didn't already cover farm workers.

Comment

Will you ever give it a rest Oliver?
                    Time to get over the loss....

Comment

Furrow, if your "on site" you better put gloves on before stepping into tractor. Then climb in with two hands secure and two feet secure. Sit squarely in the seat and dont spill the coffee and Baileys because there is no more untill noon.

Comment

We all need to think about safety first, but no matter how cautious we are, when lots of people are around, the unexpected can happen, and it does. It's called an accident. In the seed processing business, with augers, drags, trucks, shafts, and lots of moving parts, safety legislation has likely averted some catastrophies because if you want to stay in operation, you must comply or get shut-down. Not a lot different than a farm, I think the government is saying. Just a parallel that I can think of.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...