• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

France’s ambassador to Canada decries backlash against Syrian refugees

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Campbell Clark

OTTAWA — The Globe and Mail

Published Tuesday, Nov. 17, 2015 8:34PM EST

Last updated Tuesday, Nov. 17, 2015 9:16PM EST

France’s ambassador to Canada is blunt: The pushback against plans to resettle refugees after last Friday’s Paris attacks is, he says, a “mistake” and “an intellectual aberration.”

Resettling Syrian refugees helps France and other countries in Europe and elsewhere cope with large numbers of displaced people, Ambassador Nicolas Chapuis said, and is part of the global struggle against the Islamic State (IS).

“Refugees – that’s part of the Syrian war,” Mr. Chapuis said. “These people are fleeing the same enemy. So let’s be coherent.”

Since Saturday, Mr. Chapuis has insisted that France is not upset that Canada’s new Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, plans to withdraw Canadian CF-18s from air strikes against the Islamic State. France hears Mr. Trudeau saying he’s committed to the fight and believes Canada can “bring added value” in other ways, Mr. Chapuis said in an interview with The Globe and Mail.

But he expressed dismay at the backlash against Syrian refugees.

“It is a mistake. It is an intellectual aberration. Seventy-five per cent of the refugees are women and children. Have any of the [IS] attacks involved a woman or a child? No,” he said. There may be Islamic State infiltrators to the West, but that would happen without refugees, he said.

In Canada, some politicians have raised qualms about the Liberal government’s plan to resettle 25,000 refugees by the end of the year, though prominent skeptics such as Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall have criticized the pace of the planned resettlement, not the principle of accepting Syrian refugees.

There has been sharper pushback against Syrian refugees in the United States and Europe. Reports that one Paris attacker carried a Syrian passport that was used by someone who landed in Greece fuelled concerns about potential Islamic State infiltrators, but French officials have suggested the passport might have been a forgery.

Mr. Chapuis said he believes the Islamic State – he calls the organization Daesh, a pejorative Arabic term – is engaging in propaganda to encourage Westerners to turn their backs on refugees.

“When people knock at the door and seek your help, you open the door. It’s basic human feeling,” he said.

“And then, you find yourself in a situation where the perpetrators were not refugees, they were foreign fighters, indigenous French citizens, dual citizens sometimes, who went down to Syria to train to fight, and who came back. No refugees there. Then you have one passport, out of hundreds of thousands of refugees coming to Europe, possibly a forgery, possibly planted.”

Mr. Chapuis has surprised some by insisting France does not object to the Canadian plans to withdraw from air strikes on the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria. French President François Hollande declared war on IS, and has called for a “grand coalition,” including both the United States and Russia. But France’s ambassador insisted Mr. Trudeau’s pledge to quit the strikes but stay in the coalition, and do more in other areas such as training ground forces, is not a withdrawal in the eyes of the French.

“We are confident that Canada is within the coalition, remains within the coalition, and will in fact bring more added value, considered relative to its own capacities,” he said. Six Canadian fighters aren’t the only possible contribution, he said: “We bring an aircraft carrier. The U.S. has many planes.”

France does not see Mr. Trudeau’s plan to quit air strikes as a symbolic retreat at the wrong time. “It’s not at all that way that we look at what Canada intends. His cabinet was elected on that platform. Remember when other governments were elected on withdrawal from Afghanistan? And they did it. That’s part of democracy,” he said. “So we understand that.”

Despite that, there is no doubt France is trying to move the world to a unified effort, symbolically and practically, including a strengthened UN Security Council resolution. It hasn’t invoked NATO’s mutual-defence provisions, but Mr. Chapuis noted there is already a larger anti-IS coalition, including Arab nations.

And Mr. Hollande has pressed for Russia to work in concert with that coalition, even though Western allies have complained that Moscow’s main goal is to support the Assad regime in Damascus, and its willingness to fight the Islamic State is unclear. “So let’s clarify,” Mr. Chapuis said.

Regina Mayor Michael Fougere couldn't escape one of the most debated topics across the provinces and the country on Tuesday.

Fougere was at the Saskatchewan Legislature that morning when it was announced that BreakOut West would be hosted in the city. But reporters were far more interested in asking the mayor what he thought about Regina receiving an influx of Syrian refugees.

"I've indicated that we welcome refugees and immigrants with open arms. That is an important element of who we are as a city and a province," Fougere said.

Sask. Premier Brad Wall asks Ottawa to suspend Syrian refugee plan

In the same building just one day prior, Premier Brad Wall said he wants the federal government to suspend its plan to bring 25,000 Syrian refugees to Canada by the end of the year. Fougere said he didn't have enough information to comment on whether it should be suspended.

"I think Regina residents will embrace them with open arms. I have no question about that."
    - Regina Mayor Michael Fougere

"The premier has made his statement. I would only say that I want to make sure the people that come into our country and into our city are duly screened. I think everybody would agree with that."

The mayor said the most important thing is to make sure refugees undergo proper health, safety, and security checks before arriving.

Regina woman 1 of 35,000 to sign petition to stop resettlement of Syrian refugees
    Protesters rally against Premier Brad Wall's stance on Syrian refugees

"Nothing I've heard would say otherwise. But the time is compressed so much between now and December 31st — which is like a month and a half — can we actually get that many people into Canada?"

While Fougere said Regina will accommodate the incoming refugees, he did add that such a compressed time period will mean more work for local support groups.

"We will do our share. We will do what we're asked to do because that's who we are as a people," he said.

When asked how many refugees Regina could be able to take in, Fougere said he didn't know the exact number.

"The issue here is timing, not that we have people coming in. The 25,000 is legitimate and I have no issue with that whatsoever."

Fougere was also asked whether he was aware of anti-Muslim or racist comments coming from people in the province.

"I see it, but I discount it. The people who make these comments generally don't have a name attached to what they're saying. They can say whatever they want to say. But I know what people believe in this city ... they are very accommodating.

"I think Regina residents will embrace them with open arms. I have no question about that," he said.

Comment

I would disagree, I lived in Regina for 5 years.

Comment

And from UNHCR's António Guterres:

"It was not the refugee movement that created terrorism; it is terrorism together with tyranny, together with war, that created refugee movements."

Great to see wisdom and compassion overriding prejudice and division. The former is what will defeat terrorism, the latter what fuels it.

Comment

" Have any of the [IS] attacks involved a woman or a child?".... today in France a woman blew herself up trying to take police with her and the nut job man killed by police.
          Last night in a documentary, soon as they are out of diapers, boys are indoctrinated desensitized to killing the rest of us infidels.

Safe zone in Syria to keep them there, safest smartest idea, even Trump agrees.

31 US states say NO refugees.

Comment

Islamic terrorists must be learning to bring in gender parity now that they are letting women be suicide bombers.

Comment

Wisdom being one of the key words, grassey. Is not some caution wise?

Comment

[URL=http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/620249/Eight-arrested-Istanbul-airport-amid-ISIS-fears]EIGHT people have been arrested[/URL]

Most people aren't saying No, they're saying Slow.

Comment

from Combine forum, all you need to know about the middle east....

" This is what I know about Syria

President Assad (who is bad) is a nasty guy who got so nasty his people rebelled and the Rebels (who are good) started winning (Hurrah!).
                  But then some of the rebels turned a bit nasty and are now called Islamic State (who are definitely bad) and some continued to support democracy who are still good.
                  So the Americans (who are good) started bombing Islamic State (who are bad) and giving arms to the Syrian Rebels (who are good) so they could fight Assad (who is still bad) which was good.
                  By the way, there is a breakaway state in the north run by the Kurds who want to fight IS (which is a good thing) but the Turkish authorities think they are bad and bomb them while they are fighting IS, so we have to say they are bad whilst secretly thinking they're good and giving them guns to fight IS but that is another matter.
                  Getting back to Syria.
                  So President Putin (who is bad, cos he invaded Crimea and the Ukraine and killed lots of folks including that nice Russian man in London with polonium poisoned sushi) has decided to back Assad (who is still bad) by attacking IS (who are also bad) which is sort of a good thing?
                  But Putin(still bad) thinks the Syrian Rebels (who are good are also bad, and so he bombs them too, much to the annoyance of the Americans (who are good) who are busy backing and arming the rebels (who are also good).
                  Now Iran (who used to be bad, but now they have agreed not to build any nuclear weapons and bomb Israel are now good) are going to provide ground troops to support Assad (still bad) as are the Russians (bad) who now have ground troops and aircraft in Syria.
                  So a Coalition of Assad (still bad) Putin (extra bad) and the Iranians (good, but in a bad sort of way) are going to attack IS (who are bad ) which is a good thing, but also the Syrian Rebels (who are good) which is bad.
                  Now the British (obviously good, except that nice Mr Corbyn in the corduroy jacket, who is probably bad) and the Americans (also good) cannot attack Assad (still bad) for fear of upsetting Putin (bad) and Iran (good/bad) and now they have to accept that Assad might not be that bad after all compared to IS (who are super bad).
                  So Assad (bad) is now probably good, being better than IS (but let’s face it, drinking your own wee is better than IS so no real choice there) and since Putin and Iran are also fighting IS that may now make them Good. America (still Good) will find it hard to arm a group of rebels being attacked by the Russians for fear of upsetting Mr Putin (now good) and that nice mad Ayatollah in Iran (also Good) and so they may be forced to say that the Rebels are now Bad, or at the very least abandon them to their fate. This will lead most of them to flee to Turkey and on to Europe or join IS (still the only constantly bad group).
                  To Sunni Muslims, an attack by Shia Muslims (Assad and Iran) backed by Russians will be seen as something of a Holy War, and the ranks of IS will now be seen by the Sunnis as the only Jihadis fighting in the Holy War and hence many Muslims will now see IS as Good (Doh!) Sunni Muslims will also see the lack of action by Britain and America in support of their Sunni rebel brothers as something of a betrayal (mmm.might have a point) and hence we will be seen as Bad.
                  So now we have America (now bad) and Britain (also bad) providing limited support to Sunni Rebels (bad) many of whom are looking to IS (Good/bad) for support against Assad (now good) who, along with Iran (also good) and Putin (also, now, unbelievably good) are attempting to retake the country Assad used to run before all this started?
                  So, now you fully understand everything, all your questions are answered!!!!"

Comment

That's a good explanation to a bad situation. I feel bad for the innocents in this situation which is good as chuckChuck thinks I'm totally bad but I just want the good country I live in to be safe.

Comment

My first thought is that the Syrian civil war began in 2011 and somewhere between then and now Isis used that war as an opportunity to further their own agenda. They also captured foreign nationals from various counties, beheading them on publicly released videos to draw other countries attention. Now the Syrian people are being bombed from every direction. It appears Isis would like a Muslim holy war against everybody in the world.

I would say to believe that none of the 25000 refugees coming to Canada are Isis sympathizes would be very naive. To put a timeline of Dec. 31 for having this completed is foolhardy. I think to target 25000 refugees is fine but remove the time limit.

Comment

Fj - that was very good.
                        It is also interesting to know that Saudi Arabia is staying out of all of this continuing there traditions of beheading - not a word said . Why ? They are waiting for the real fireworks to start. They want Asadd out as well so the massive pipeline can finally be put in ( lol Putin) , that has to go through Syria to go to Europe . But Rusia does not want this at all and needs Asadd in place to block the pipeline. China thus is kinda sitting back not willing to give full support to anyone. They get oil from Rusia but could use more oil from Saudi and Iran. Especially now that Canada's oil sands will not be pumping oil to the pacific coast.
                        Europe needs that pipeline to offset the dependence of Rusian oil. The US was the puppet sent in to destabilize the playground years ago.
                        It's all like a dog chasing it's tail around and around .
                        In the mean time the MSM is watching the 'play on stage' installing fear into the minds on both sides so no one knows wtf is going on

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...