• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good Varieties Deregistered and Checkoffs

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The paranoia is pretty insane and so typical for Agriville. Don't struggle too much with the big words.

[URL="http://www.grainscanada.gc.ca/consultations/2015/classes-01-en.htm#objective"]http://www.grainscanada.gc.ca/consultations/2015/classes-01-en.htm#objective[/URL]

Comment

i have to agree that I am still jaded with the industry side of conventional farming. I purposely tried to only state an observation without getting all "organicy" and discouraging. I am on the outside looking in. As stated before..... follow the money.

Comment

How is it a variety that received fairly recent registration into a certain class no longer qualifies. If it isn't suitable now, why was it then? Especially gluten strength. Isn't that Canadian HRS classes claim to fame...it's bread making quality? Mind you there's lots of different types of bread.

Comment

Re gluten strength, it's coming to light that rather than varieties, it's how Canada's grain handling, delivery and loading at port has changed since marketing freedom.

Used to be the CWB would have a ship (eg West Coast) berth at 2 or more terminals to take on the entire cargo. Grain in those terminals would have been gathered at many prairie delivery points. Given that a variety of wheat will have different characteristics (gluten strength, px) depending on where it was grown, cargoes used to represent more of an average of hrs.

Now, unit trains from a region make up a larger portion in the terminal, and less of an average across the prairies. So, gluten strength is less consistent.

What this says is the varieties don't need to be de registered and replaced because of gluten strength, that is indeed bs.

Comment

the reason 46a76 is getting the axe
            is because it is about the only some what modern variety farmers have legal access too.

can i say told you so now.

or should i wait till every seed we grow
            is under the control of the seed co.s

Toms assurance that you can grow it under contract , is so reassuring.
            like the grain co.s that sell seed are going to give you a contract.
            what a laugh.

with all toms talk about UPOV91
            guaranteeing your right to use your own seed is a joke.
            you have rights to nothing.

every seed you purchase , you sign away your rights.
            Harper was working for the seed co.
            not the public or farmer

all it would have taken from our govt. would have been a law that freed up all of, the off patent varieties, to public use after 21-25 years..
            seems fair right.

most of you guys voted for this,
            and to this day support the party that bent you over for the seed co.s pleasure.
            lets hope at least they will buy you dinner first.

Comment

Far as I know, there is no varietal purity unless it has pedigreed status, so stuff it!

Comment

Even john deere has managed to wait out patents to be successful. They have copied most of their design lately.

Not sure how seed has a patent for 20 plus years.

Comment

patent length is almost irrelevant.
                  if your never allowed to own the seed.
                  you will never have a right to plant it even in 100 years.
                  even if you could manage to keep up the regeneration's.

sure you can keep and replant your old
                  old stuff , but soon it will be de registered . (that is the plan )
                  and the system will not take it.

with out public breeders , no one is
                  going to keep up the registration.

you have to going to have to go to the the big guys, every year for every seed.
                  you can have all the land and machinery you want, but without seed
                  your kinda ****ed .

Comment

Originally posted by wiseguy
                    Checkoffs = license to steal ! They are taking money off my grain cheques without my consent ! No one cares about gluten strength or oil content except for the CLOWNS that want to deregister varieties and sell the FARMER seed that have technology fees, licensing fees, distribution rights, plant breeder rights/fees, etc built into the price of seed ! Western Canadian greed !
                    Not very wise, mr wiseguy. your customer cares, and its reclassified not deregistered.

Comment

tweeter 46a76 is going to be deregistered

yes some of the wheats are reclassified

Comment

Which elevators have the resources to add more classifications to keep separate?

The system wasn't designed for more classes of grain.

134 car spots for single product.

And then you still need 5 of those to fill one boat.

I think some people making or promoting these ideas are very stupid.

Really can't believe graincos want this from a logistical point.

Comment

Good grief, you guys have got to quit believing all the BS out there.

First of all, none of the varieties that were moved out of CWRS or CPS were de-registered. They've been reclassified because they aren't making the specs of those classes and the Canadian Grain Commission says it's causing trouble for our buyers.

Second of all, if you've bought any of those varieties legally, (or any other seed you haven't specifically signed away your right to save seed), then you have the right to save the seed and use it on your farm...something that wasn't specifically guaranteed under UPOV 78, but is under UPOV 91.

You've never had the right to buy seed, and sell it to your neighbour. That was never a right, even under UPOV 78. That practice always was, and continues to be theft of intellectual property. And before the personal attacks and name calling starts, I'll state right now that I'm not a seed grower, but I have bothered to educate myself on this part of the law.

Comment

Farmranger

So who's is responsible for contamination of the classes?

Let's say you deliver Lillian into the cwrs class in a couple years. Elevator says it looks fine when they probe it. They haven't asked for varietal info to date.

It gets dumped into cwrs bin.

Is all good?

Comment

Why were these varieties good enough to be registered and classified as CWRS but now not.
                              Someones head should roll for registering them in the first place and putting our quality at risk.

Comment

According to the CGC people in their booth at Agritrade, (and I apologize upfront if I haven't got the story quite right) - there was a type of testing that wasn't done on those varieties because there was some other test that they thought was good enough at the time. Apparently the flour from those varieties doesn't work like they thought they would, and customers have been complaining ever since those varieties started being included in CWRS. Some of them have been very popular with farmers, so they've made up more of the volume of CWRS in shipments as well. They now use testing that will catch this for future varieties, before they're released. I haven't grown any CPS, so I didn't really catch what the reasoning was for that class, but I assume it's something similar.

I'm sorry that is a little vague, but I'm not exactly a baking scientist and I don't pretend to be one.

As long as it doesn't add to segregation costs, I could understand the reasoning for not wanting to screw up those classes with our buyers.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...